Speculation: Murray retiring at seasons end?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I hate this ,BM has patiently rebuilt our team from the ground up before our very eyes.To me he is one of the best GM,s in the league bar none ,they guy may not have a cup but that is more due to circumstance rather than skill.He belongs in the HOF as a builder ,my only hope is that the league doesnt wait to get him there before its too late:cry:

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there an article posted a few months ago that outright said he was retiring at the end of the season?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there an article posted a few months ago that outright said he was retiring at the end of the season?

Murray shot it down, said he wanted to talk to his family and Melnyk at the end of the eyar and go from there

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Bruce Garrioch has written an article saying GM's are to honour Bryan Murray tomorrow night at the GM's meeting in BOCA RATON, FLA.

As a general rule, it's an honour that has been saved for general managers who are retired.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/03/15/gms-show-respect-for-murray

I would think if Murray was going to come back next season that they would have waited until then to do the honour.

Very nice thing to do for him if it is what's happening. Even though some of those teams in the league are rivals, at the end of the day all the GMs are peers to one another.

Murray's been in this league a long time and has connections with more than organization so its nice to see him getting respected like that

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I wouldnt bet on him retiring, expecting something more like being made EVP hockey ops with a GM below him.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Maybe this run has something to do with it?

Like when Alfie was going to either retire or move on many players like Spezza and Karlsson who were injured came back to play with him.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Consider this...

He's doing what he loves most with the time he has left.

How could anyone wish for anything different for the man?

It also gives him a reason to get up in the morning and keep going. Some people who retire when they're ill fade incredibly quickly.

Murray has a passion for hockey, he might keep working just to spite the damn disease.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
It also gives him a reason to get up in the morning and keep going. Some people who retire when they're ill fade incredibly quickly.

Murray has a passion for hockey, he might keep working just to spite the damn disease.

Murray is being shown to have been right about this years team.

Love Murray. He made some mistakes I guess, mostly hiring coaches. So what. Love Murray. Maybe my favourite Sens person aside from Alfie. Maybe we get it done in the playoffs this season? Next year if Murray can make it to see the team he built. We are legit Cup contenders from Day 1.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Many of us here, me included, laughed a year and a half ago when BM said we have too many NHL players in our system. With the way Stone, Hoffman, Ceci, and now Puempel have played it looks like we are eating a bunch of crow right now.

I think BM will stay on for as long as his health allows. He put together this team, and now that it is starting to come together he deserves to see it continue to grow into a contender.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
It'll be interesting if Ottawa was to make the playoffs over Boston and them to clean house.

Then Chiarelli returns to be the GM here...

That'd be weird...

I'm really not that impressed by Chia's record.
He won a cup based on great draft picks by his predecessor and signing Chara.

He's never really drafted anyone good since other than Seguin, who he traded away for practically nothing. He spent tons of money locking up replaceable players (Paille/Kelly etc) at the expense of losing valuable guys like Boychuck for nothing.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

He's never really drafted anyone good since other than Seguin, who he traded away for practically nothing. He spent tons of money locking up replaceable players (Paille/Kelly etc) at the expense of losing valuable guys like Boychuck for nothing.

Doug Hamilton? Jared "I Kill My Favorite Childhood Team" Spooner?

I'll agree that he's made some questionable moves lately, but he built a team that went to two Stanley Cup Finals. You can't just dismiss that as a fluke.

He was also the assistant GM here during the Sens hey day and a close friend of Murray's.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's nice to see the team playing so well right now with basically all of the players & managers BM has put together including signing Hammond. Good for him to see this through & while he may not be around to see them lift a cup he has seen his team come from obscurity to legitimately now challenging for a playoff spot. The future looks bright for this franchise & it's all thanks to the GM who put it all together. He's been very good for this team & this city & a credit to hockey, he definitely should be in the HOF & will be. :handclap:

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Doug Hamilton? Jared "I Kill My Favorite Childhood Team" Spooner?

I'll agree that he's made some questionable moves lately, but he built a team that went to two Stanley Cup Finals. You can't just dismiss that as a fluke.

He was also the assistant GM here during the Sens hey day and a close friend of Murray's.

I question the fact that he built that team.
The core of that team is/was: Chara, Bergeron, Lucic, Marchand, Krejci, Thomas and Rask.

Of that list, Chia signed Chara and drafted Lucic and Marchand. Begeron, Krejci and Thomas/Rask were before his time.

He also pulled off the Kessel deal. Seguin is a franchise player, but he later gave him away. Hamilton looks like a solid young D, Knight is a bust. Kessel is a flawed player but puts up similar number to Seguin.

If Ryan "My name isn't Jared" Spooner putting up 22pts at age 23 is one of the bright lights of the past 7 years of drafting I think thats a sign they aren't drafting too well.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014

Chia has made some bad moves, some really good moves. Got Rask for Raycroft, Ference + Kobasew for UFA Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau, Wideman for Boyes, McQuaid for a 5th, Soderberg for Toivonen, Boychuk for Hendricks, got Recchi AND a 2nd for basically nothing (Karsums + Lashoff), pulled of the Kessel deal, got Seidenberg AND Bartkowski for Bitz, Weller + 2nd,

bad trades would be Sobotka for basically nothing, Wheeler + Stuart for Peverley and Valabik, Seguin for Eriksson + Smith +, arguably the Kaberle deal, arguably the Boychuk trade...

He hasn't done much recently but if you look at that tally...

OUT:
Phil Kessel
Andrew Raycroft
Brad Stuart
Wayne Primeau
Brad Boyes
Hannu Toivonen
Matt Hendricks
Karsums
Lashoff
Bitz
Weller
2nd
5th

IN:
Tukka Rask
Dennis Seidenberg
Matt Bartkowski
Andrew Ference
Chuck Kobasew
Mark Recchi
Dennis Wideman
Carl Soderberg
Johnny Boychuk
Adam McQuaid
1st (Seguin)
1st (Hamilton)
2nd (Knight)

He essentially acquired an above average D-Corps:

Seidenberg - Hamilton
Ference - Boychuk
Bartkowski - Wideman
McQuaid

along with some forwards who played a big part in their playoff runs, AND Tukka! And the only NHLers he gave up are Kessel, Stuart, Boyes and Hendricks. Kelly for a 2nd was a good deal for them too.

Signed Chara, Savard, Wheeler, Ryder, locked up Thomas, Bergeron, Chara, Rask, Krejci, etc long-term.

Drafted Lucic, Marchand, Kessel, Hutchinson, Seguin, Spooner, Hamilton, Pastrnak.. he's been a good GM.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
My bad on Rask, that's a great deal obviously.

But drafting record still sucks - that list of "Lucic, Marchand, Kessel, Hutchinson, Seguin, Spooner, Hamilton, Pastrnak" is the product of like 9 drafts. Seguin and Kessel together effectively became Hamilton+Erikkson+RSmith.

MisterMethos

Jun 21, 2014
Everywhere and Nowhere
I think Chiarelli is a good GM and would be a very good replacement for Murray when the time is right. With Chiarelli, you also have to consider how Neely's role is playing into it as well. I have heard Neely is very active in his role as President overseeing hockey operations, much like Shanahan in Toronto. In fact, I think I read somewhere that it was Neely that wanted Seguin moved?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Murrray deserves a ton of credit for this past year imo.

He had the 5 big ufa's and he signed the 4 that wanted to be here to excellent contracts and traded the one guy that wanted to leave for about the best he could considering the situation and actually got some good depth assets with potential.

Despite all the rumors around deadline time, he didn't trade for useless plugs like Stewart and didn't give anyone away for scraps just for the hell of it.

I really hope he gets one more summer to finish rounding out this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad