Confirmed with Link: Murray re-signs for 2 years ($4.6M AAV)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This is a modest sigh of relief for me. I was worried Murray was going to look for a fresh start elsewhere to try and improve his luck. This incidentally makes it much easier to move Werenski for a top tier forward.

Not sure I agree. I'd be locking Zach up for 8 years. Trade Murray instead. He's 2 years away from UFA and is an injury risk.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Solid signing as he really showed what he was capable of last year — but man we need this guy to stay healthy.

Gotta think this takes him off the trade block. Maybe opens the door for another D like Nuti or as major mentioned, Weresnki for a first liner.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
A fair signing. If he stays healthy it’s good value to the team. Because of concerns about his back, the term is reasonable. It’s also a contract that keeps him a viable trade option. And if kept and he blows a tire, it’s less a disaster.

I still have to believe Ryan, Savard or Nuti is traded before the season begins unless Jarmo/Torts decides the team will bank on icing its best 6 DMen for success.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
A fair signing. If he stays healthy it’s good value to the team. Because of concerns about his back, the term is reasonable. It’s also a contract that keeps him a viable trade option. And if kept and he blows a tire, it’s less a disaster.

I still have to believe Ryan, Savard or Nuti is traded before the season begins unless Jarmo/Torts decides the team will bank on icing its best 6 DMen for success.
He went to Cbus to evaluate his back right before July 1st(as he told) and according to his insta. So this signing means his back was good enough for this money.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
i would have liked longer term at lower money but I guess they have real consern if he can play long term. just stay healthy and the contract will be worth

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
He went to Cbus to evaluate his back right before July 1st(as he told) and according to his insta. So this signing means his back was good enough for this money.
Missed that. But the thing about injuries to the back is they often come back.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Not sure I agree. I'd be locking Zach up for 8 years. Trade Murray instead. He's 2 years away from UFA and is an injury risk.

The two year deal makes him more trade worthy. The big question is: could his contract be insured?

The Zerenski negotiations are gong to be entertaining. The fanbase hasn't had any negotiations stress for almost 14 hours. Time to ramp it up again.

Reactions: We Want Ten

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I'd be excited but you just know he'll be down for the count for like half the season and probably the playoffs if we make it.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
One of the most underrated blue liners in the league. Glad to have him for 2 more seasons. Please for the love god stay healthy.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
1) Still can't believe the AAV for a guy who's proven he can't stay healthy.

2) Can't believe, if Porty is to be believed, that Jarmo discussed going 3 years.

A very crowded blue line. Only Gavrikov is waivers-exempt and he looked fine as a 6th D in the playoffs. That's still 8 other guys (assuming Werenski signs) and I assume they'll waive Clendening again, though imo he played pretty well in spot duty. Have to wonder if a trade is in the works.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
1) Still can't believe the AAV for a guy who's proven he can't stay healthy.

2) Can't believe, if Porty is to be believed, that Jarmo discussed going 3 years.

A very crowded blue line. Only Gavrikov is waivers-exempt and he looked fine as a 6th D in the playoffs. That's still 8 other guys (assuming Werenski signs) and I assume they'll waive Clendening again, though imo he played pretty well in spot duty. Have to wonder if a trade is in the works.

His aav ok with me.

3 years wold have been ok.

The crowded blue line is a problem. I think Gav is destined to stay up so at least one guy has to go via trade or being claimed for nothing. Maybe that was some of Jarmo's thinking in making Clendenning's deal one way for the 2020 season? Or giving Harringotn 3 @ 1,667? Of course a trade is also possible.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
His aav ok with me.

3 years wold have been ok.

He's missed over 40% of the games he could have played in since he was drafted. 7 years and he's out over 40% of the time. Why this team is committing this much money and entertaining that much term to a guy who can't stay healthy is beyond me.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's missed over 40% of the games he could have played in since he was drafted. 7 years and he's out over 40% of the time. Why this team is committing this much money and entertaining that much term to a guy who can't stay healthy is beyond me.

Because in the event he plays as well as he did last year, and kicks the injury bug, we let a top pairing cost controlled defenseman walk for nothing. Do I think it's likely that he plays a full 82 game season regularly? No, but I think it COULD happen. That and the fact he's a RFA are two of the only reasons I need to keep him around. When he plays, he's solid, and when he doesn't, it's not like we can't replace him and he's not costing much.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad