Recalled/Assigned: Murphy

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
This is not a bad idea. If Stone starts struggling down the stretch, we can pair Murphy with Yandle and roll with

OEL-Z
Yandle-Murphy
Gormley-Summers

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if part of this is just getting one of our better prospects out of that destructive environment.

Is it really that destructive? Obviously the team is losing, but Murphy, Summers and Gormley have all looked terrific when called up, and Lessio and Szwarz seem to be coming along as well.

I would be shocked to see there were much of correlation between AHL team winning percentage and prospect development.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Thanks! Murphy looks like a keeper so may as well give him more experience. One question I have; is he 6'3" or 6'5"? I've seen both in articles so just curious. In either case, if he fills out, he will give the back end some decent size.

I just checked our official website, and it says he's 6'3''

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
Is it really that destructive? Obviously the team is losing, but Murphy, Summers and Gormley have all looked terrific when called up, and Lessio and Szwarz seem to be coming along as well.

I would be shocked to see there were much of correlation between AHL team winning percentage and prospect development.
I admit I've only really checked the final scores, but it feels like I've been seeing loads of games where the Pirates were losing games pretty badly. Maybe there's no correlation though, I'm just making bad speculation. At the very least, I can't imagine getting steamrolled and letting in 7 goals all the time is helping a prospect's confidence.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
The Pirates are losing because of coaching and the fact they have probably only 3 or 4 actual NHL players on the roster...and a load of players who shouldn't be playing in the AHL

Phil Lane, Ethen Werek, Darian Dzywhatshisname, Bret Hextall, Tim Kennedy

This doesn't even take into affect, AHL players that would be considered below average AHL players: Martinook, Shinnimin, Yip

That's 5 of 12 forwards, you can't get away with it at this level, if you counted the below average guys, that's 8 of 12 forwards are below average. Yeah, they're not going to have a good season.

Which is why the season Lessio and Reider are having as rookies is encouraging.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The Chris Summers audition for bottom pairing, LHS, stay-at-home D is going really, really well.

We still need to see if we have anyone in the system who can effectively replace Morris as the go-to partner slash hand holder for Keith Yandle. Murphy seems like the most likely candidate, but we need an extended audition. I really hope he sees time there. If he can really start to look comfortable and effective in the role of Keith Yandle babysitter, we can cross a HUGE need off of our wishlist.

EDIT: My current dream scenario is that Murphy looks so good that we feel comfortable bringing Morris back at a big discount to play on the bottom pair.

Last edited:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
The Chris Summers audition for bottom pairing, LHS, stay-at-home D is going really, really well.

We still need to see if we have anyone in the system who can effectively replace Morris as the go-to partner slash hand holder for Keith Yandle. Murphy seems like the most likely candidate, but we need an extended audition. I really hope he sees time there. If he can really start to look comfortable and effective in the role of Keith Yandle babysitter, we can cross a HUGE need off of our wishlist.

EDIT: My current dream scenario is that Murphy looks so good that we feel comfortable bringing Morris back at a big discount to play on the bottom pair.

If Morris can't play in the top four, there's really no need for him. OEL, Michalek and Yandle obviously fill out the other three spots, and then Schlemko, Stone, Murphy, Summers and Gormley can all handle bottom pairing minutes.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I totally forgot Schlemko was even still on this team...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Morris can't play in the top four, there's really no need for him. OEL, Michalek and Yandle obviously fill out the other three spots, and then Schlemko, Stone, Murphy, Summers and Gormley can all handle bottom pairing minutes.

There is. We have severely missed weighty D since losing Aucoin, Roszival, Klesla, and "good" Morris. Our D is ridiculously light in the ass. Even our big jus like Summers and Murphy are skinny. Young too. Very young. We need some kind of veteran presence back there.

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Murphy
Summers-Morris
Gormley-Stone

Also, if he rebounds and Murphy regresses, we've got a built in insurance policy. It is possible Mo returns to form next year.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Even if I'm willing to jettison Morris, if it's between him and Schlemko on our bottom pairing, I'll keep DeMo and take a bag of pucks for Schlemko.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Also, if he rebounds and Murphy regresses, we've got a built in insurance policy. It is possible Mo returns to form next year.

I think we've been saying that for too long now. Arguably the only time it came to fruition was last season. Morris is 35 going on 36 and is clearly in decline. Open to taking him back at a discount as a veteran presence, but Greene or Gilbert could be a better use of those dollars while providing more consistent defensive play.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I think we've been saying that for too long now. Arguably the only time it came to fruition was last season. Morris is 35 going on 36 and is clearly in decline. Open to taking him back at a discount as a veteran presence, but Greene or Gilbert could be a better use of those dollars while providing more consistent defensive play.

Agreed. We haven't had a "good" Derek Morris on a consistent basis, since 2010-2011.

Every single season since, he's been wildly inconsistent.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Don't hate on old man Halpern :(

He's our only RH center who found a fresh set of legs ever since he became a healthy scratch, I'll give him that. Overall, he's filled in admirably for Boyd Gordon at like 1/5 of the salary.

Still, we absolutely need to upgrade 4C this offseason. Halpern's best years are behind him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad