Mueller Rocks

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
A lot of Coyotes fans have him pencilled in for next year's starting line up (including a few who have him on the top line). I know it's hard to project where he'd be in the NHL from watching him play with teenagers, but what you expect from him in the big leagues next season? As someone who hasn't been able to see any of the WJC, I'd be grateful to hear any of your analysis on his play so far.

Haik

Feb 11, 2005
A lot of Coyotes fans have him pencilled in for next year's starting line up (including a few who have him on the top line). I know it's hard to project where he'd be in the NHL from watching him play with teenagers, but what you expect from him in the big leagues next season? As someone who hasn't been able to see any of the WJC, I'd be grateful to hear any of your analysis on his play so far.

Well Darth thinks Mueller looks better than Jack Johnson and Eric Johnson. Judging from what I've seen.... I don't blame him.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I personally think they shouldn't have him play defense on the Powerplay, i think he would bemore productive playing on the wings during the PP.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Mueller is a good reason for the fans here in Spokane to dread playing Everett. He's been a star since he's stepped into the league; when Columbus stepped up to the board at #6, I was praying they would shock the world by passing on Brassard and drafting him, I thought he was the best player in the draft outside of the obvious top 5. He just looks like a star everytime he's on the ice.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Mueller is a good reason for the fans here in Spokane to dread playing Everett. He's been a star since he's stepped into the league; when Columbus stepped up to the board at #6, I was praying they would shock the world by passing on Brassard and drafting him, I thought he was the best player in the draft outside of the obvious top 5. He just looks like a star everytime he's on the ice.
And I remember hoping Mueller would be picked by Columbus so Brassard could fall to the Yotes.

While it isn't fair to compare due to Brassard's injury troubles this year I'm very happy things ended up like they did.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
and so Darth opens up the Okposo vs. Mueller debate for Isles fans.

Phoenix looks like they got a little bit of luck on their selection. Phoenix had Mueller in their top 5. I was part of the camp that had Brassard and Okposo ahead. Regardless, Phoenix fans are happy to hear some good reviews on one of their prospects.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
and so Darth opens up the Okposo vs. Mueller debate for Isles fans.

Phoenix looks like they got a little bit of luck on their selection. Phoenix had Mueller in their top 5. I was part of the camp that had Brassard and Okposo ahead. Regardless, Phoenix fans are happy to hear some good reviews on one of their prospects.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I have little interest in an Okposo vs. Mueller debate. IMO, they're both excellent prospects. Mueller has torn up the WHL, and Okposo has put up eye-opening numbers in the NCAA. I'm still happy the Isles choose Okposo and have no regrets that he was picked over Mueller. I doubt you would find a single Islander fan who feels different and I believe management would do it again if the draft was today.

I do think Mueller has been the better player in three of the four WJC games, but that doens't make me any less happy with the way things turned out.

And, I still think Brassard could be a better player than both (hard to judge because he has not been healthy).

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Mueller, Okposo, Kessel, EJ and a resurgent Wheeler...if only things had been a little different for the Minnesota Gophers.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sorry to disappoint you, but I have little interest in an Okposo vs. Mueller debate. IMO, they're both excellent prospects. Mueller has torn up the WHL, and Okposo has put up eye-opening numbers in the NCAA. I'm still happy the Isles choose Okposo and have no regrets that he was picked over Mueller. I doubt you would find a single Islander fan who feels different and I believe management would do it again if the draft was today.

I do think Mueller has been the better player in three of the four WJC games, but that doens't make me any less happy with the way things turned out.

And, I still think Brassard could be a better player than both (hard to judge because he has not been healthy).

Darth, I was just giving you a shot. I know it's a subject that has come up repeatedly on the Isles boards and been debated at nauseum already. No worries.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
Glad to hear, I've watched 2 games and Mueller is very impressive and I think he looks out of place on the point at the WJC. There's no doubt he'll be here next year, he was a very late cut for Gretz and he'll be too young to go in the AHL and he would have nothing else to prove in the WHL.

P.S. 6 points in 5 games and a +3. Very nice! :)

Last edited:

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I have only watched one USA game this tournament, but have watched numerous Everett games while Mueller has been playing. He is a special player, great playmaking skills and good hands but he has one thing missing IMO. He doesnt hussle, and try hard enough. If he put more effort out there he could take his game to a whole new level. But who knows, I will have to see him at the NHL level before I can make any real judgements.

AgentNaslund*

Too bad Mueller is not gonna be playing in bigger surface.

I assume that the bigger surface will be better for a player like Peter Mueller, but for Defencemens its so much harder. In the long rum, JJ and EJ will be a better then Mueller.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Mueller, Okposo, Kessel, EJ and a resurgent Wheeler...if only things had been a little different for the Minnesota Gophers.

Yeah, poor Minnesota... they're only the unanimous #1 team in the country at 17-1-3 with a 20 game unbeaten streak. :shakehead

Last edited:

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Yeah, poor Minnesota... they're only the unanimous #1 team in the country at 15-1-3 with a 20 game unbeaten streak. :shakehead
how can they have a 20 game unbeaten streak when they have only played 19 games... with a loss mind you? does it include tourneys or something?

i'm not trying to be a smart *** here either. it's a legit question

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I have only watched one USA game this tournament, but have watched numerous Everett games while Mueller has been playing. He is a special player, great playmaking skills and good hands but he has one thing missing IMO. He doesnt hussle, and try hard enough. If he put more effort out there he could take his game to a whole new level. But who knows, I will have to see him at the NHL level before I can make any real judgements.

TSN.CA was saying that some teams had Mueller ranked in the bottom half of the top round, PERHAPS for that reason. Personally, I see Mueller as a very competitive player who wants to win rather than a gritty warrior type. I think he'll mature into a Pavel Datysuk type (albiet a guy who raises his game a notch when it is all on the line)

Falloooooon

Nov 11, 2004
Agreed that Mueller was out of place on the PP. If he could have put a single pass in the right place on the OT PP against Canada so that EJ could one-time it, maybe he could have beaten Price.

Gotta have some concerns over somebody who passes behind a stationary target 7 out of 7 times.

zoomba

May 11, 2006
Unionville, ON
Ya he is definitely real good. His draft year I was a bit disappointed with him because I thought he could have used his size a bit better. Now I see that although he is not physical, he uses his reach and protects the puck well. He is alos a better skater than I thought and has a good shot. Looks like he's gonna be a nice player.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
how can they have a 20 game unbeaten streak when they have only played 19 games... with a loss mind you? does it include tourneys or something?

i'm not trying to be a smart *** here either. it's a legit question

My bad... made a typo. Their record is actually 17-1-3. I'll correct the post.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Mueller has amazing defensive positioning... groomed by Constantine with the Tips has really made him a top-notch prospect because he has all the natural instincts and vision (plus size) AND his potential career won't depend on learning the other side of the puck.

I could see him pulling a Kopitar in Pheonix next year (not the same numbers) but getting the trust to develop into the number one C quickly because he has the size, skill --and most importantly for seperating top-end prospects at this age --can play on both ends of the ice.

On a downward note, it looks --at times-- that he should battle more... but that could be said about alot of kids at this stage.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Mueller has amazing defensive positioning... groomed by Constantine with the Tips has really made him a top-notch prospect because he has all the natural instincts and vision (plus size) AND his potential career won't depend on learning the other side of the puck.

I could see him pulling a Kopitar in Pheonix next year (not the same numbers) but getting the trust to develop into the number one C quickly because he has the size, skill --and most importantly for seperating top-end prospects at this age --can play on both ends of the ice.

On a downward note, it looks --at times-- that he should battle more... but that could be said about alot of kids at this stage.

Agree. Sometimes I think he felt he had the skills to battle half speed and still win the puck battle. Not at this level

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006

With Peter Mueller, it didn't take a great coach to turn him into a top prospect. He's always been just that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad