Recalled/Assigned: Mueller recalled, Vlasic to IR 1/2/17

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It could be draft pedigree, but it could also be that the staff believes Mueller is more NHL ready than Ryan or Heed. It is not unprecedented.

Same with Goldobin, perhaps they do not think his game is NHL ready?

If Ryan and Heed aren't considered NHL-ready right now, they never will be.

Mueller over either is a joke, but at least with Heed it could theoretically be because he's right-handed. Absolutely no excuse for Ryan not to be called up.

If I'm Ryan, I'm demanding a trade ASAP.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Ryan might as well request a trade now. It's obvious where the org stands on him.
Not necessarily.

Ryan has been nursing facial injury (wearing full shield) for a bit.

Kinda surprised Mueller got recalled with black eye from being hit with puck on Saturday, rather than Heed, personally.

Could be a handed-ness issue as well as PDB's comfort level.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
If Ryan and Heed aren't considered NHL-ready right now, they never will be.

Mueller over either is a joke, but at least with Heed it could theoretically be because he's right-handed. Absolutely no excuse for Ryan not to be called up.

If I'm Ryan, I'm demanding a trade ASAP.

My post says "more NHL-ready" in reference to Mueller (the one of those three who has played in the NHL before). That doesn't imply that Ryan and Heed are not NHL-ready.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
My post says "more NHL-ready" in reference to Mueller (the one of those three who has played in the NHL before). That doesn't imply that Ryan and Heed are not NHL-ready.

Mueller is not NHL-ready, so that's kinda my point. I mean, I guess he's NHL-ready in terms of he's just not going to get any better no matter where he plays though. :/

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Could it be possible DW is showing Mueller off for other scouts and GM's who might be interested in trading for him??

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Maybe Wilson wants to see if Mueller is worth protecting in the expansion draft. Heed and Ryan will get their chances.

Will they? Each time there's a situation like this I mention that Heed won't be able to go back down without waivers. So no, don't call him up for this. But if there was ever a time to give Ryan a shot, this is it. He is the best defenseman the Barracuda have. He was last season, too. I'm not sure how much more he has to prove to get a look.

Mueller's finally developing properly (sort of), but he is just not ready for the NHL. If we protect him for the expansion draft, it'd be one of the dumbest decisions imaginable.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Will they? Each time there's a situation like this I mention that Heed won't be able to go back down without waivers. So no, don't call him up for this. But if there was ever a time to give Ryan a shot, this is it. He is the best defenseman the Barracuda have. He was last season, too. I'm not sure how much more he has to prove to get a look.

Mueller's finally developing properly (sort of), but he is just not ready for the NHL. If we protect him for the expansion draft, it'd be one of the dumbest decisions imaginable.

If Vegas picks Mueller over Schlemko, Dillon, DeMelo or Martin they are going to look even dumber .. :D

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013

I thought he was exempt bc he cleared earlier this year but I'm going by CapFriendly.

A player does not need to pass through waivers if the player has not been on the NHL active roster for a cumulative 30 days since last clearing waivers, and has not played in 10 or more NHL games. CBA Reference 13.2(b)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I thought he was exempt bc he cleared earlier this year but I'm going by CapFriendly.

A player does not need to pass through waivers if the player has not been on the NHL active roster for a cumulative 30 days since last clearing waivers, and has not played in 10 or more NHL games. CBA Reference 13.2(b)

The evidence thus far points to Heed being exempt from waivers. They didn't place him on waivers before assigning him to the Barracuda. If he is called up and then sent down, my assumption based on the waiver rules is that he'd need to clear waivers because he hasn't been on and cleared waivers yet. But then again, I thought he had to go on waivers the first time he was assigned to the Barracuda.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
The evidence thus far points to Heed being exempt from waivers. They didn't place him on waivers before assigning him to the Barracuda. If he is called up and then sent down, my assumption based on the waiver rules is that he'd need to clear waivers because he hasn't been on and cleared waivers yet. But then again, I thought he had to go on waivers the first time he was assigned to the Barracuda.

Thanks. I thought he'd have to be on waivers earlier this year too. I didn't realize he wasn't. I wonder why. (Don't feel like pulling out the CBA to check out possibilities right now.) I'd be interested if anyone has any information about that.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

It's a very confusing situation, but that's what I've been going off of too. Capfriendly's Sharks team page and waiver calculator lists him as not exempt from waivers, as well.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
It's a very confusing situation, but that's what I've been going off of too. Capfriendly's Sharks team page and waiver calculator lists him as not exempt from waivers, as well.

It's confusing. I'm fairly certain that CapFriendly said that Heed was subject to waivers earlier this season too.

I think I found out why he's exempt:

The first season in which a Player who is age 20 or older plays in one (1) or more Professional Games shall constitute the first year for calculating the number of years he is exempt from Regular Waivers.

A Player 25 years old or older who plays in one (1) or more Professional Games in any season shall be exempt from Regular Waivers for the remainder of that season.

For Players age 20 or older, Professional Games include NHL Games, all minor league regular season and playoff games and any other professional games, including but not limited to, play in European leagues when Player is on Loan to such club, and while Player is a party to an SPC.

Section 13.4

Heed was 21 when he signed with the Ducks but never played for them. (I'm guessing that he was not on loan to Skellefteå or that would have started the clock.) So the three year period never started. I'd still guess that the second sentence would apply, to be safe, so he's only exempt this season but one could argue that since he signed at age 21, the first should and he's exempt for this year and two more years or after he plays 80 professional games.

NB: I didn't read the whole Article of the CBA. As soon as I saw the above, I assumed that was the right answer. But if you want to be sure, you should probably read the whole Article 13.

Last edited:

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
If Vegas picks Mueller over Schlemko, Dillon, DeMelo or Martin they are going to look even dumber .. :D

I have actually seen multiple expansion draft prediction lists with Vegas taking Mueller, but they all were from the super terrible, practically amateur sites like thehockeywriters and stuff. I would be shocked too.

I really do think this is DW attempting to drive up his value as a trade deadline chip, so he can describe him as the Sharks first defenseman call-up as opposed to the number 10 d-man on the org depth chart.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I have actually seen multiple expansion draft prediction lists with Vegas taking Mueller, but they all were from the super terrible, practically amateur sites like thehockeywriters and stuff. I would be shocked too.

I really do think this is DW attempting to drive up his value as a trade deadline chip, so he can describe him as the Sharks first defenseman call-up as opposed to the number 10 d-man on the org depth chart.

There is no situation in which I would select Mueller if I'm Vegas. DW calling up Mueller is just giving one of his prized first rounders every chance to prove him right. I just wish he felt the same way about Goldobin who actually has real potential.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

I'm with you and fatturdsharkman that this is DW showcasing Mueller for trade potential. However, as I stated last season, Mueller is a 1st round bust. The time to trade him was awhile ago when it was not so obvious.

This is DW hanging onto players for too long, which I believe is something needing improvement. I would love for LV to pick Mueller and Boedker in the expansion draft. That's not possible so I will go with Boedker due to his $4M yearly cap hit.

I would accept losing Boedker in the expansion draft, then getting Nieto back as a RFA on a $1.2M yearly contract. Not ideal as a draft pick would have to be given to the Avs. I would rather have some other Nieto type player for that money and not give up a draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad