MTU Huskies Thread

MNhockey19

Jul 10, 2011
Minnesota
Juhjar Khaira not returning for sophomore season will hurt. It's amazing how well the team is doing for not having any top recruits season after season. I felt they were better this year than their record indicated.

MNhockey19

Jul 10, 2011
Minnesota
When they played as a team they were great-winning the great lakes invitational and beating minnesota; at other times they stunk- how they lost that game against alaska during winter carnival still blows my mind.

MNhockey19

Jul 10, 2011
Minnesota
Goaltending was a huge question mark last year. I'm not sure I would have started the senior goalie after a few of those games but with two freshman backups its hard to be picky. Copley showed glimpses of brilliance and Phillips was a draft pick so he must be pretty good right?

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Goaltending was a huge question mark last year. I'm not sure I would have started the senior goalie after a few of those games but with two freshman backups its hard to be picky. Copley showed glimpses of brilliance and Phillips was a draft pick so he must be pretty good right?

I thought Copley played pretty well last season, all things considering. I expect that he'll continue to get even better this season. I also see Pearson giving Phillips some more ice time too. I liked what I saw in Phillips, but he needs more playing time to further his development.

Khaira was a great loss, but the Huskies are one of those teams that do a good job of regrouping and moving forward when losing top/key players. I've noticed this especially under Pearson's watch. But the two things IMO that the Huskies will need to do this season are stringing together more wins and improve the team defense. MTU finished last season with the nation's 47th ranked defense. And among the current WCHA teams, only Alabama-Huntsville & UAA had worse defenses. That's just not gonna cut it if the Huskies ever hope to make it to the NCAA Tournament this season.

GreenBubbleRaincoat

Mar 15, 2013
Hancock, Michigan
Cool to see a thread dedicated to the Huskies! I've grown up watching them play, and I'll tell you that Pearson is bringing stability that the program has been badly lacking since the mid 90's... around the time I was old enough to attend the games!!

Yes, this team is lacking defensively, but I like the tandem they have in the nets. I saw one of Phillips starts last season against our rivals, Northern Michigan, and I liked what I saw. Agile for his size, and carried a sense of calm. MTU have the potential to be quietly good this season.

GO HUSKIES!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad