Proposal: MTL x SJS

Will Smith for 5-7OA

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Habs add. Obviously.

2023 was a better draft than 2024. Smith had a very solid post draft season.

Tankathon has Habs picking 6th OA in the lesser 2024 draft. Sam Dickinson is whom they slot there. He is a lower level prospect than Smith by some significance. Will Smith would have probably gone 2nd OA in 2024.

So Habs definitely add.

San Jose choice of: Hutson, Fowler or Mailloux + 2024 6th OA for Will Smith.

San Jose would have to at least consider it then as value starts to swing in their favor. This is clearly a trade San Jose needs to win on value going back and forth.

I think long and hard about a Will Smith for Sam Dickinson + Mailloux offer if I was San Jose.
I think if Montreal wants Smith out of San Jose, it starts with Reinbacher and the 1st in 2024. If that's a non-starter, I would understand but the Sharks are not going to give up a quality center prospect for a prospect that isn't of similar value and importance.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I think if Montreal wants Smith out of San Jose, it starts with Reinbacher and the 1st in 2024. If that's a non-starter, I would understand but the Sharks are not going to give up a quality center prospect for a prospect that isn't of similar value and importance.
I can understand your wanting to keep Smith, but a trade with Montreal "starts" with Reinbacher and the 2024 1st-round pick, as if that isn't enough? Reinbacher did go one pick after Smith, so I don't think it's fair to say they are not of similar value at this time and RHD isn't an unimportant position.

Reactions: pth2

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I can understand your wanting to keep Smith, but a trade with Montreal "starts" with Reinbacher and the 2024 1st-round pick, as if that isn't enough? Reinbacher did go one pick after Smith, so I don't think it's fair to say they are not of similar value at this time and RHD isn't an unimportant position.
I think people get confused with the starts with talk. I don’t think he’s suggesting Smith for Reinbacher+1st+. Think it’s more like Smith+ for Reinbacher+1st+ which still like crazy ask but I get it as a sharks fan. I’ve been salivating at the idea of Celebrini, Smith, Edstrom, Bystedt down the middle since the Hertl trade.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
What's our reasoning for trading Smith for a lesser pick he was drafted with? If we have Celebrini-Smith down the middle we're set.

Not to mention we have PIT pick this year or next that we could use to get Parekh or Buium, etc.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What's our reasoning for trading Smith for a lesser pick he was drafted with? If we have Celebrini-Smith down the middle we're set.

Not to mention we have PIT pick this year or next that we could use to get Parekh or Buium, etc.
Both those guys should be gone by the time Pitts pick.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
They should be but I could easily see them being there at 11 also. That group from like 2-13 is so close together and I could pretty easily see them going in any order. We could also say Yakemchuk or Silayev instead of those 2. Point is an impact level D.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Okay then we get Eiserman/Yakemchuk/Helenius/whoever. That just means someone else falls.

If Pit gives SJ 11th overall we're getting the chance to draft one of Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Dickinson, Silayev, Catton, Lindstrom, Parekh, Buium, Yakemchuk, Eiserman, Helenius, or Iginla on top of our own 1st.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
That would be a non-starter from Montreal. Similar to the Sharks, the Habs are still in a rebuild (just a little further along). It makes no sense to trade away two premium assets for one, just as it makes no sense for SJ to trade away Smith for just one premium young asset.

Reactions: HabsAddict

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
That would be a non-starter from Montreal. Similar to the Sharks, the Habs are still in a rebuild (just a little further along). It makes no sense to trade away two premium assets for one, just as it makes no sense for SJ to trade away Smith for just one premium young asset.
Yup. I think this thread just feels like an extension of the habs fans still angry about their pick last year and wishing it was someone else.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yup. I think this thread just feels like an extension of the habs fans still angry about their pick last year and wishing it was someone else.
That was deep. Did you take a survey?

Seriously, just stick to hockey trades and don't worry about Hab fans feelings. I promise you, we don't care about Shark fans feelings.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Great post.

If there is any trades, it can be about picks or our extra defenseman. Trying to hit that home run trade is far tougher then it looks because each base evaluates their top players higher if not faaar higher then the other fan base.

Then the food fight starts...

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
That's pure speculation.
I agree. It might have been the case if Smith was there at #5. But if the Habs somehow got into the top 4, there was no public hint of whom HuGo preferred. It is totally plausible that they could've preferred Fantilli or Carlsson.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree. It might have been the case if Smith was there at #5. But if the Habs somehow got into the top 4, there was no public hint of whom HuGo preferred. It is totally plausible that they could've preferred Fantilli or Carlsson.
FAAAR more likely for those 2. As thier rookie years has shown us.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I have no problems admitting that I will not be asking for a fair deal for Will Smith. Potential 1C players on a rebuilding team are damn near untouchable. While I agree that RHD isn't an unimportant position, it is second to C's for me. I also just don't have much confidence in anyone potentially available at 6 to be a top of the lineup player. I think pretty much all of them will be solid 2nd liners or 2nd pairing defensemen but not players I'd want to move Smith for.
That's fair enough for me. Those are definitely valuable pieces from Montreal in that ask but until the Sharks draft enough guys to really have a core to build around, it's hard not to value what they have that fits their rebuild potentially at the top of their lineup at an absurd level.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Pretty sure MTL would have taken Smith before Reinbacher
We really can't know. Just before the draft, Kent Hughes was asked what the odds were of moving the pick, and he said 50%. For all we know, if SJ picks Reinbacher, Montreal then trades down instead of picking Smith.

You're right, the kid who when asked was most influential in helping him get to where he is said "Kent Hughes, the General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens" for sure was not who they were hoping to draft :huh:
Sure, they'll base a multi-million dollar decision on a teenager's feelings. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is laughable and basically bad faith. Just say he isn't available.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
That's fair enough for me. Those are definitely valuable pieces from Montreal in that ask but until the Sharks draft enough guys to really have a core to build around, it's hard not to value what they have that fits their rebuild potentially at the top of their lineup at an absurd level.

Yeah, based on where each team is in their respective rebuilds, I don't see any trade involving Smith that would make sense for both teams. As a US NTDP season ticket holder and 50+ years as a Habs fan, I would love to see Smith wearing the CH. It's just not going to happen, though.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
2024 1st round pick + Beck + Fowler + Engstrom

for

Smith

Yeah it looks like a quantity not quality trade but Beck and Fowler are the top Center and Goalie prospects in the Habs organization and Engstrom looks to be a good shutdown defenseman.

Montreal gets Smith without giving up Reinbacher by giving up some of their prospect depth

San Jose Fills a lot of Holes in their depth while controlling the top 10 of the 2024 draft with three picks.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
2024 1st round pick + Beck + Fowler + Engstrom

for

Smith

Yeah it looks like a quantity not quality trade but Beck and Fowler are the top Center and Goalie prospects in the Habs organization and Engstrom looks to be a good shutdown defenseman.

Montreal gets Smith without giving up Reinbacher by giving up some of their prospect depth

San Jose Fills a lot of Holes in their depth while controlling the top 10 of the 2024 draft with three picks.
I don't know that this actually fills a lot of holes for the Sharks. Smith and Beck fill the same spot hypothetically. Engstrom may end up being a solid shutdown defenseman but the Sharks have quite a bit on the left side that would be in a similar boat between Mukhamadullin, Thrun, Cagnoni, and Furlong. You can pick at that how you want but I just don't see that as filling a hole. Fowler and the pick could but that pick is likely a secondary level player when the Sharks need top talent if they ever hope to compete again. I don't think Beck fills that spot in the same way that Smith does and I don't think those other pieces are going to amount to the same level.

Though I don't want it to come off like it is quantity for quality as I do think those are still very good pieces. The Sharks though need to focus on what will address the top of their lineup first and foremost.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don't know that this actually fills a lot of holes for the Sharks. Smith and Beck fill the same spot hypothetically. Engstrom may end up being a solid shutdown defenseman but the Sharks have quite a bit on the left side that would be in a similar boat between Mukhamadullin, Thrun, Cagnoni, and Furlong. You can pick at that how you want but I just don't see that as filling a hole. Fowler and the pick could but that pick is likely a secondary level player when the Sharks need top talent if they ever hope to compete again. I don't think Beck fills that spot in the same way that Smith does and I don't think those other pieces are going to amount to the same level.

Though I don't want it to come off like it is quantity for quality as I do think those are still very good pieces. The Sharks though need to focus on what will address the top of their lineup first and foremost.
We have enough picks to fill the same holes Fowler and Beck can. The team has few elite blue chip prospects.

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad