Proposal: MTL x SJS

Will Smith for 5-7OA

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Pretty simple proposal - would the Sharks entertain a Will Smith for the Habs 1st Rd Pick swap?

From SJS's perspective, if they get Celebrini at the draft they will have Eklund/Smith/Celebrini down the middle. With 5-7OA, they can add a top prospect d-man (Levshunov/Parekh) and trade from a position of strength.

For MTL, Smith was their original target at the draft given the history between Hughes/Smith and the fit both in terms of personality and playstyle to what their team currently needs (high skill center). While there will be great players available at the draft at 5-7, it is very likely Lindstrom will be gone by then which would be the only other top 10 quality C in the draft. Smith is also likely ready to step into the NHL next year, which better fits the timeline for the Habs than an Eiserman or Catton who may be another year away.

• Haha
Reactions: Patty Ice

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
No, Smith is not available for anything that would be realistically offered for him, including MTL'S 1st this year

We're so devoid of high end talent that we're not worried about a logjam at any position, and even if we were, Eklund's future in the league is at wing anyway

All we should be doing right now is stockpiling blue-chip prospects, and that's what Smith appears to be, he's off the table

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I suggested this already in the other SJ-MTL thread, and SJ fans clearly weren't interested.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
All we should be doing right now is stockpiling blue-chip prospects, and that's what Smith appears to be, he's off the table

Fair enough - I guess the premise of this is less about a logjam and more about getting a high quality prospect in another position (Parekh and Levshunov are in some mock draft going as high as 2) but I don't disagree that it would require what feels like a significant overpayment to justify moving a high quality player like Smith

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Fair enough - I guess the premise of this is less about a logjam and more about getting a high quality prospect in another position (Parekh and Levshunov are in some mock draft going as high as 2) but I don't disagree that it would require what feels like a significant overpayment to justify moving a high quality player like Smith
We'll have our opportunity to pick high again next draft, we're still going to be terrible next year and we are likely to get a spare high pick from Pittsburgh either this draft or next draft, we're likely still going to be the worst team in the league in 2025 so we're just going BPA right now regardless of position

I also recognize our need for a real top-tier D prospect, it's a huge hole in our prospect pool, but right now we're deep in the tank, we'll have our opportunities to draft a high potential defenseman without trading away any of our recent draft picks

Reactions: Mackiaveli

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
That's pure speculation.
You're right, the kid who when asked was most influential in helping him get to where he is said "Kent Hughes, the General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens" for sure was not who they were hoping to draft :huh:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Eklund is showing that he can play any position up front so if Smith comes in and earns a center spot, moving Eklund to wing for either Smith or Celebrini is a perfectly acceptable outcome for the Sharks. While the team is starting to stockpile talented forward prospects, they're not really in a position of surplus yet.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Habs add. Obviously.

2023 was a better draft than 2024. Smith had a very solid post draft season.

Tankathon has Habs picking 6th OA in the lesser 2024 draft. Sam Dickinson is whom they slot there. He is a lower level prospect than Smith by some significance. Will Smith would have probably gone 2nd OA in 2024.

So Habs definitely add.

San Jose choice of: Hutson, Fowler or Mailloux + 2024 6th OA for Will Smith.

San Jose would have to at least consider it then as value starts to swing in their favor. This is clearly a trade San Jose needs to win on value going back and forth.

I think long and hard about a Will Smith for Sam Dickinson + Mailloux offer if I was San Jose.

Last edited:
Reactions: themelkman

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
In order to make that trade, and I wouldnt be opposed to add as well, but I would have to be pretty convinced that Will Smith is better than Catton, which as of today I am not sure. So no trade from this habs fan, Id rather draft Whatever forward is left at 6th..which sholuld be one of Lindstrom, Catton or demidov

• Haha
Reactions: viceroy and McJedi

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I love the idea that the Sharks trade a guy who was the #4 pick in what is considered a much better draft and who had a great D+1 season for a pick in a weaker draft because they already have a lot of young centers when only one of them (Eklund) has played in the NHL and who is thought of more as a wing. This is a laughable trade offer.

Reactions: themelkman

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I love the idea that the Sharks trade a guy who was the #4 pick in what is considered a much better draft and who had a great D+1 season for a pick in a weaker draft because they already have a lot of young centers when only one of them (Eklund) has played in the NHL and who is thought of more as a wing. This is a laughable trade offer.
It was considered a much better draft because of the top 3 . I find the rest of the top 12 to be deeper this year or at least very comparable. Don't think Smith is a tier above a guy going 4-6 this year.

• Haha
Reactions: Voight and McJedi

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It was considered a much better draft because of the top 3 . I find the rest of the top 12 to be deeper this year or at least very comparable. Don't think Smith is a tier above a guy going 4-6 this year.
All the more reason for Montreal to keep this pick or get SJ to add. Why give up a pick that could be a plausibly better player in a much more important role for a center in the same tier that doesn't play like a center.

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Can't see a correlation between getting 1oa giving reason to move Smith. You WANT two strong centre prospects moving forward. Lidstrom or Catton might be as good, but why move laterally?

I think Montreal takes a sniper in the first this year too, as they're not prepared to give up on Dach as their 2c.

Reactions: Shark Finn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad