Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] P.K. Subban for Shea Weber - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
As if Nashville trades Weber right after he wins messier trophy and first one as predator. He will be greatly missed in Nashville.

Stormcrow

Jul 5, 2010
As a Habs fan I am somewhat ok with this.
I still feel that the Habs need to get better in the top 6.
I think that in the next few years if mediocrity is the order of the day it would be time to blow it up and start from scratch.
I can say that if they start off slow, I would hope that there will be a coaching change !

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Certainly will miss the big guy; happy about the trade for sure, but Shea was homegrown talent, rose to Captain, and has played a massive role in the success of our franchise. A bit sad because of that, but I wish him the very, very best and I hope MTL's fans welcome him because he is a great guy who can play hockey with the best of them.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
As a Habs fan I am somewhat ok with this.
I still feel that the Habs need to get better in the top 6.
I think that in the next few years if mediocrity is the order of the day it would be time to blow it up and start from scratch.
I can say that if they start off slow, I would hope that there will be a coaching change !

It's too late, we already lost Subban. Therrien should have been fired last year.:help:

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
2014 olympics Weber was only defensemen with a letter on his jersey so he was captain of team canada defense. Subban only made roster because of an injury and only played one game I believe. He's too much of a liability defensively. People only say Nashville won deal because four years between them. Who cares, four years isn't that much.

Man I want Weber back in gold :(

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Come on guys this is a horrible move for the Habs. In order to contend they needed to retool around their core, gain some top-10 picks and take another shot at it. This will take 2-3 years.

That plan would've worked with Subban, who is 3 years younger than Weber and also a certain upgrade of a defender regardless of his style of play. He's a better hockey player and a younger one.

Looks like Montreal is mistakenly going for the cup right now. It's similar to NYI, good team but they built too quickly and never gathered the right pieces. Canadian teams have absolutely no idea when its time to rebuild or retool. See Vancouver right now, Toronto of the past 15 years, the Flames when they waited too long to deal Iggy/Kippr/Jbo. The habs just don't have the pieces to win a cup right now.

Last edited:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
You can't be alright with getting player who's 4 years older, and commited to worse deal which ends when Weber is nearly 40... This deal is just so weird from Habs point of view. Seems like Bergevin somehow missed the way the NHL is being played these days.

I am very confident to say that Subban is going to be better defenseman as soon as in the next season (I think he is already right now) and it will be pretty clear. He will thrive in Nashville alongside Josi.

NSH defense with Subban > NSH defense with Weber, easily.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
As if Nashville trades Weber right after he wins messier trophy and first one as predator. He will be greatly missed in Nashville.

I think Rinne will miss him more than all of us combined.
He's gonna get peppered next year.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I think Rinne will miss him more than all of us combined.
He's gonna get peppered next year.

Actually, probably far less. For all of the "PK isn't as good at D," that basically amounts to, "he's not as physical," but he is *far* better in terms of zone exits, and the disparity in Corsi reflects it.

Rinne will see fewer pucks because the Predators should spend less time in their own zone.

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009
I am greatly saddened by the trade. Subban was my favourite Habs player and I truly thought only an idiot would trade such a charismatic, generous, and fantastic player.

Sigh...

So, first things first:

1--I was wrong when I said Subban was unavailable. I posted that in many threads leading up to and following the draft. I truly believed he would not be traded, but I was wrong.

2--I still think Subban is a top 5 defenceman in this league. I do not care what jersey he wears, he is a 27 year old Norris winning and multi-Norris nominated defender. He is awesome offensively, and is very good defensively. The Predators are getting an astounding talent and anyone trying to diminish Subban in any way from any fan base just does not know anything about hockey. Preds fans will fall in love with him so fast that it will stun them all.

3--Weber is still an elite #1 defenceman in the NHL. He is a solid player who will bolster Montreal's defence and will protect Carey Price. He will clear the front of the net and keep Price as safe as possible. He is also a terrific point producing player and brings some amazing leadership qualities with him to our team. Montreal fans should wait to see him on the ice and will understand how good he actually is.

4--We lose the trade. Period. Weber is 3.5 years older than Suban, and will slow down sooner than Subban will. There is no shame in admitting that we lost this deal, overall. However, it does not mean we are not still contenders. Weber will help us to contend over the next 3-4 years, as long as Price stays healthy. Losing Subban hurts, but Weber will still be awesome enough to help our team to go far as long as Price remains healthy. Of course, that might be what Bergevin is banking on Weber ensuring with his physical presence around the net. I do not like this trade for the Habs. I do like Weber, though, and he is not the hot garbage some people have tried to portray him as since he was traded.

5--This trade simply solidifies my belief that Bergevin and Therrien are incompetents and, quite possibly, racists. DSP and Subban gone within months of each other. Why? I know that shills like Marinaro and Nilan are going to trot out all of the supposed problems in the locker room, but the players themselves never seemed to indicate any such problems. As Pacioretty pointed out, the only way to eliminate those BS rumours would be for Subban and Him to make out in public. Every time I hear "Subban was too much like an NBA or NFL guy" to be in the NHL it screams "racist" in every language. Subban was too flamboyant, too NBA, too individual, etc, etc... Another way of saying "too black". I have lived 48 years on this planet, and come from a biracial home. I have lived through all of the polite catch phrases that all add up to the same thing: "racism". I do not care if he IS flamboyant, has his own sense of style, promotes himself, or goes to parties with public figures and posts photos about it. This lie about him being selfish or not about the "team" is proven every single time he steps on the ice. He has put it out there every single game throughout his entire Habs' tenure. People in the media started using the term "Planet P. K." as a way to try and soften the blow when that imbecile Bergevin decided he was going to trade him. It was a marketing technique used to try and get the fans on board with moving Subban. It is a shame that it has worked with some people.

6--Bergevin and Therrien need to be fired. Molson needs to grow a pair and do the right thing: hire the best GM and Coach available without any regard for language or nationality. If this organization wants a return to the days of winning Stanley Cups, we need to be able to have a guy like Stanley Cup Champion at every level Larry Robinson coaching our players in place of a nothing like J. J. Daigneault. When Bergevin hired Daigneault over Robinson I knew there was a problem, but had hopes it would be a minor one. Seeing Bergevin trade Subban in order to keep his "foxhole" buddy happy makes me sick. Bergevin and Therrien are failures and will not help our team win. Anything our team does will be in spite of them, not because of them.

Clutchure39

May 25, 2016
There was literally no reason for NSH to trade Weber, except for the contract. Also Weber makes Canada over Subban, that tells you a lot.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Rationalization at its finest.

I think they may have a point with the "more mature" part, and I don't mean that as a slight against Subban. I'm not talking about "antics" or anything like that. Weber has simply been playing the game longer, so by virtue of that it's safe to say his game is more mature.

Now, how much more mature is up for debate, and I'd argue that since Subban isn't exactly a kid and has been in the league for six years he isn't exactly an immature player.

Weber is also a stable player for the most part. He does let his emotions get the better of him sometimes, but it's not enough to really subtract from what he brings to the table.

Rationalization it may be, but from where I sit the points are valid.

Laggin70

Apr 22, 2013
Pittsburgh
as a neutral fan, I just do not understand this trade.

if PK and SW were the same age, okay. as is i think Montreal just set their franchise backwards?

I dunno?

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Cam Fowler and Brooks Orpik also made an Olympic team over Keith Yandle.

Yeah this is true. Olympic teams are built with a specific identity in mind, and since it's a short tournament they have to make some difficult roster decisions that may leave guys who have more skill out in favor of guys who other qualities more tailored for the team.

Besides, I don't think it's fair to say Weber made the team over Subban. I think it's more fitting to say Pietrangelo made the team over Subban, as Weber and Doughty were picked more for their defensive game than their puckmoving/offensive game.

Also, a lot changes in two years.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Still kind of in shock, look forward to the speed and skill that Subban will bring to NSH. However MTL fans should look forward to the size and shot presence that Weber brings.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Weber's contract has no NMC or NTC clause attached, correct? If his play deteriorated so much towards the end of his career could he be forced to ride the bus in the "A"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad