Proposal: MTL & NJ

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd agree with all that.

For NJD i'd have it Mercer>Guhle>Zegras

For MTL I think I'd have it Guhle>Zegras>Mercer (just because of the current lefty surplus, although I could more than easily move Guhle to 3, depending on how Struble, Harris, Xhekaj, Hutson, etc are viewed)

For Anaheim I'd have it Zegras>Mercer>Guhle simply because they do not need another RD and because the star power and upside is important.

Every team should just keep their player
Right now, this minute, Guhle is in another level to all of them. Hutson is likely to outstrip them all if he gets faster and stronger. Struble/Harris are likely long term 4th to 6th defenseman, X is a unicorn and worth extra value because of his attributes. None of those 3 are top 2.

Trading Guhle will definetly leave a hole defensively that Rein or Mailman may fill. Or not.

Guhle trade can only happen if there is a GM that values him as much as the Habs. It will be a repeat of the Subban trade in terms of value.

Reactions: dgibb10

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Right now, this minute, Guhle is in another level to all of them. Hutson is likely to outstrip them all if he gets faster and stronger. Struble/Harris are likely long term 4th to 6th defenseman, X is a unicorn and worth extra value because of his attributes. None of those 3 are top 2.

Trading Guhle will definetly leave a hole defensively that Rein or Mailman may fill. Or not.

Guhle trade can only happen if there is a GM that values him as much as the Habs. It will be a repeat of the Subban trade in terms of value.
I'd 100% agree with that. I have Guhle a tier above all the other LD in the Habs system. But I am not an MTL fan and so some may feel differently.

For example if a fan views Hutson Struble Xhekaj as a quality left side, they may prefer to move the guy with clearly the highest trade value (Guhle).

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I'd agree with all that.

For NJD i'd have it Mercer>Guhle>Zegras

For MTL I think I'd have it Guhle>Zegras>Mercer (just because of the current lefty surplus, although I could more than easily move Guhle to 3, depending on how Struble, Harris, Xhekaj, Hutson, etc are viewed)

For Anaheim I'd have it Zegras>Mercer>Guhle simply because they do not need another RD and because the star power and upside is important.

Every team should just keep their player
Guhle is a LD. He has been playing RD with Matheson due to lack of nhl ready options. He is much better on his left side.

Now i am sure you will check stats and see that he has played mostly with Matheson but that’s for other reasons. Don’t let stats get in the way of truth! ;)

I'd 100% agree with that. I have Guhle a tier above all the other LD in the Habs system. But I am not an MTL fan and so some may feel differently.

For example if a fan views Hutson Struble Xhekaj as a quality left side, they may prefer to move the guy with clearly the highest trade value (Guhle).
Guhle ihas top pairing potential on his left side. The rest of Habs LHD do not have top pairing potential. Guhle is untouchable!

Reactions: viceroy

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Guhle is a LD. He has been playing RD with Matheson due to lack of nhl ready options. He is much better on his left side.

Now i am sure you will check stats and see that he has played mostly with Matheson but that’s for other reasons. Don’t let stats get in the way of truth! ;)

Guhle ihas top pairing potential on his left side. The rest of Habs LHD do not have top pairing potential. Guhle is untouchable!
So was PK...and yet.

The only justification to move him is to get back a top tier Center. The operative word here is..TOP TIER

Of course it creates a hole but given the bigger picture on our defense overall, it can be covered to a certain extent. On the other hand, 6 young top 6 forwards can take us far into contender level.

Plus, it's easier to find a FA LHD then a top 6 young center.

Let's see what happens in the next few months. For all we know we draft Lindstrom AND trade for someone like Morgan Frost.

Or we go after Reinhart and draft Lindstrom and trade for Frost...

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
MTL : Matheson (50%) + WPG first around #24
for
NJ : #11 2024 + 3rd rd 2024

NJ gets a upgrade on LD for next 3 year while still getting a first pick.
MTL gets a better draft position for their rebuild.
And where are they going to replace the 50+ points and veteran presence? They can't put 4 or 5 dmen with 200 games or less NHL experience on the ice and expect a successful season.

Reactions: viceroy

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Agree 100%. Dach's season ending injury absolutely sunk the Habs. He was primed for a huge breakout and a freak odd accident derailed him. It was heartbreaking.
My friends and i sure had some great conversations about how far having Dach healthy all season takes the habs.

I was personally excited about the affinities Dach was having with Slaf at camp - those are big guys out there. After Slaf's season, im psyched to see if he ends up on the first with Suzy and Caufield or with Dach on the 2nd.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
And yet, he struggles to produce this season. While Newhook blew him out the water. Which is fine to say as its a fact.

Then you go on to intimate that Newhook is no different that what he was on the Avs.... What is it with you? Have you never watched a game and just wait for the stats to post? lol

You have no clue how good Dach was to close the season in 2022-2023. You have no clue who Newhook developed as a play driver this season whilst on C (which is not his strength) and while playing with Gallagher / Armia.

Holtz is irrelevant to me. Habs wouldn't have any interest. We can already fill out the bottom 6 with non-impressive players. lol
OOOH when it comes to swinging, this guy does it no Holtz-barred!

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
So I don't know that there was a giant cloud of POT hanging of the entire state of NJ, but i'll drive over since the trip from CT is only an hour or so.

#1. BOTH Matheson and Ghule are our 1st pairing dman and aren't going ANYWHERE unless a marquee player is coming back (read top line forward).
#2. The only reason Ghule is playing the right side as a left handed shot is because he is SO good and can adapt.
#3. The habs have a BOATLOAD of picks (9 in the top 2 rounds for this year and next year).

So this entire thread makes ZERO sense unless someone can provide directions to that cloud!!!!

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
So I don't know that there was a giant cloud of POT hanging of the entire state of NJ, but i'll drive over since the trip from CT is only an hour or so.

#1. BOTH Matheson and Ghule are our 1st pairing dman and aren't going ANYWHERE unless a marquee player is coming back (read top line forward).
#2. The only reason Ghule is playing the right side as a left handed shot is because he is SO good and can adapt.
#3. The habs have a BOATLOAD of picks (9 in the top 2 rounds for this year and next year).

So this entire thread makes ZERO sense unless someone can provide directions to that cloud!!!!
if the pot cloud lifts, you may recognize that op is a habs fan.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

Guhle is so good you can’t even spell his name right! Lol

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Habs have depth on left D to move Guhle. Matheson, Wifi, Hutson could play there next season. Struble and Harris providing depth. Engstrom in the system.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
I would trade Guhle for Mercer. I find that Guhle lacks spatial awareness because I can't understand how he constantly gets rocked. He needs to learn how to take a hit, otherwise he will have a short career.

I also don't see a consistent offensive upside with Guhle. I mean that he shows a ++ shot or passing skills, but they are too far apart.

I see his upside as a 30 point (career year) #4 defensive d-man, with above average puck moving skills.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I would trade Guhle for Mercer. I find that Guhle lacks spatial awareness because I can't understand how he constantly gets rocked. He needs to learn how to take a hit, otherwise he will have a short career.

I also don't see a consistent offensive upside with Guhle. I mean that he shows a ++ shot or passing skills, but they are too far apart.

I see his upside as a 30 point (career year) #4 defensive d-man, with above average puck moving skills.
I don’t think his career year will be 30 pts. That’s almost what he was on pace for this season as a 21 yo.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsAddict

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It’s the type of trade it would take…..
I’m high on Guhle. If he hits his potential, he should eat top pairing min. He might not be the play driver, but steady…..

From a NYR standpoint I think Kakko for Guhle as a base deal works for both teams as well.

Guhle hit the sophomore slump this season after having a very solid rookie year.

Kakko had terrible puck luck in his first 15 games or so and then got injured after putting up 40 even strength pts from 3rd line with no PP/pk opportunities or top 6 min with our most talented players. He plays a man’s game and has become a really good 2-way forward.

He would look great opposite Caufield or slaf in the Habs top 6 and on their PP/PK.

Gorton also took him 2 OA. I’m sure he’s very familiar with him.

Hopefully Guhle could settle in and become Fox s long term partner on LD in the next 2 seasons or so.
A top 4 of
Guhle-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Would be stellar for NY.

I believe it’s could be a win win for both teams…..

Mercer is solid FwD. he also plays a man’s game, similar to Kakko.

I believe it would take that type of piece for Montreal to consider moving Kaiden

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I’m high on Guhle. If he hits his potential, he should eat top pairing min. He might not be the play driver, but steady…..

From a NYR standpoint I think Kakko for Guhle as a base deal works for both teams as well.

Guhle hit the sophomore slump this season after having a very solid rookie year.

Kakko had terrible puck luck in his first 15 games or so and then got injured after putting up 40 even strength pts from 3rd line with no PP/pk opportunities or top 6 min with our most talented players. He plays a man’s game and has become a really good 2-way forward.

He would look great opposite Caufield or slaf in the Habs top 6 and on their PP/PK.

Hopefully Guhle could settle in and become Fox s long term partner on LD in the next 2 seasons or so.
A top 4 of
Guhle-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Would be stellar for NY.

I believe it would take that type of piece for Montreal to consider moving Kaiden
There is no universe where a Guhle for Kakko trade make sense, even on paper. A more realistic target would be Lafreniere but again, only make sense on paper for Montreal.

Same goes for Mercer. Value wise, it make sense. From a team need, it doesn’t.

Reactions: pth2

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

A top 4 of
Guhle-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Would be stellar for NY.

Guhle for Kakko? Kakko? In what dream that came up?

That's equivilant to offering Dvorak for Laffy.

Neither have a chance in hell or rooted in reality.

Moving on....

Reactions: pth2

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Moving on....
You either highly overrated Guhle or underrated Kakko. Take your pick.

Laf for the rangers is like slaf being available for the Habs. It’s a non-starter and a waste of oxygen….

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

Moving on....
no it's not.

kakko has a lot more trade value than dvorak.
and after this season laf would probably return more than guhle. no need for trolling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad