Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Habs sign Kaiden Guhle to ELC (3 years, $925K AAV)

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Interesting. I don't feel he's NHL ready + log jam on d already.

Perhaps not my favourite context signing but hey, they must know something I don't.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Interesting. I don't feel he's NHL ready + log jam on d already.

Perhaps not my favourite context signing but hey, they must know something I don't.

You must be new to the NHL.

CHL first rounder get signed very often even if they have no chance of playing in the NHL. Their contract slide if they don't play in the NHL.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Are teams giving 1st rounders a harder look this year as junior leagues may not play?

You see these signings every single years...

From the Leafs, Rielly, Gauthier, Nylander, Marner, Liljegren and Sandin all did the same in recent years. Kadri and Biggs also signed sliding contracts although 1 year after the draft.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
You must be new to the NHL.

CHL first rounder get signed very often even if they have no chance of playing in the NHL. Their contract slide if they don't play in the NHL.

Not at all, it also takes up a contract slot of a team that has limited contract spots for the prospects to take up. Waiting a year let's Habs keep a fringe prospect that otherwise they now have to choose between keeping or not.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Not at all, it also takes up a contract slot of a team that has limited contract spots for the prospects to take up. Waiting a year let's Habs keep a fringe prospect that otherwise they now have to choose between keeping or not.

Teams do this all the time.

Guhle, Wisdom, Wiesblatt, Foerster, Ponomarev, Neighbours this year as of now. Also Lafreniere and Byfield, but they may make their team (I doubt for Byfield but you never know).

Last year, Silovs, Alexandrov, Kallionkelli, Byram, Thomson, Holmstrom, Cozens, Heinola, Seider, Bjornfoot, McMichael, Fagemo, Protas, Dach, Soderstrom, Broberg, Kniazev, Foote, Kolyachonok, R. Suzuki, N. Robertson, Legare, Poulin, Harley and Pelletier (Hughes and Kakko also but you know...) all signed ELC between the draft and October 1st.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

If a player is 18 or 19, and plays in Junior, his contract slides and doesn't count among the 50 (unless they play 11 NHL games or more before being sent down).

EkyUusPXYAEVp2G.jpg

In case the image is a bit blurry, this is what it says:

1. Total NHL contracts per team = 50 (including two-way contracts and NHL contracts in the minors), players who are meet the following three conditions do not count to this limit: 1. The player is 18 or 19 years of age. 2. Is in a junior or European league, and 3. who have not played 11 NHL games the current season.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
You see these signings every single years...

From the Leafs, Rielly, Gauthier, Nylander, Marner, Liljegren and Sandin all did the same in recent years. Kadri and Biggs also signed sliding contracts although 1 year after the draft.

Yes I don’t believe I ever mentioned anything along those lines.

My point stands that with junior leagues not playing and no fans which relieves some pressure off the players they may get longer looks rather than teams letting their players rot away not playing.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
An if our D prospects pan out we gonna have a fantastic D corps in a few years.

Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Guhle, Fleury and I'm missing a couple.

I would be exstatic if Norlinder becomes Markov 2.0 and Romanov becomes Subban 2.0.

Let's hope Coach Bouchard up in Laval helps these kids reach their ceilings!!

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Teams do this all the time.

Guhle, Wisdom, Wiesblatt, Foerster, Ponomarev, Neighbours this year as of now. Also Lafreniere and Byfield, but they may make their team (I doubt for Byfield but you never know).

Last year, Silovs, Alexandrov, Kallionkelli, Byram, Thomson, Holmstrom, Cozens, Heinola, Seider, Bjornfoot, McMichael, Fagemo, Protas, Dach, Soderstrom, Broberg, Kniazev, Foote, Kolyachonok, R. Suzuki, N. Robertson, Legare, Poulin, Harley and Pelletier (Hughes and Kakko also but you know...) all signed ELC between the draft and October 1st.

Wisdom did not got drafted in the first round thou, he should of gone early in the 2nd thou...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad