Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Habs re-sign Ryan Poehling (2 years, $750k AAV)

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
That should take care of the first line center position

I understand you probably don't follow hockey but the Habs, that's Montreal's NHL team, have this kid called Nick Suzuki. He did pretty well in this year's playoffs.

MTL does place a lot of hope on young Centres Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Evans and Poehling and also young Winger Caufield. If ever you have any questions about the Canadiens please don't be shy and ask. Preferably before you post.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
What happened to this guy?

He sucks, as does Biceps Timmins.

He was always projected as a 3rd line center. His biggest problem was his hat trick in his debut NHL game. It was a nothing game standings wise but that drove the hype train for him. If he didn’t have that game he would be right on progress track.

Oh yeah, so we're gonna pretend it was the plan all along now?

If all you are looking for is a 3rd liner with your first rounder, you might as well trade the pick for a NHL player. That's a lot less hassle than drafting a guy and wasting years developing one.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What happened to this guy?

concussion in his first camp, struggled all season, might not have worked hard enough in the off-season going into his first full pro season. Turned things around this year, led Laval in scoring which was one of the best teams in the AHL all year.

Had a rough first season in the AHL so everyone declared him a bust and then this year in his sophmore AHL season was almost a point per game. A lot of people are projecting a solid two way 3C with a mean streak.

Basically Think Lars Eller but more physical as a decent projection.

He got overhyped like many prospects do but middle six two way C was prbly always the fair projection.

no mean streak, he's not overly physical, he'll take the body but he's not got a mean streak at all. His game is more about speed, skating, size, with some solid two way play.

Elite Prospects - AHL Stats 2020-2021

only 33 players had more points then him. only 2 of the 33 played less games then Poehling and it was 1 less game.

Reactions: Lolonegoal

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Too young to call him a bust imo but he isn't trending the way the organization thought. Hopefully he can take a step and maybe even turn into that impact NHL player he was once seen as.
What ? He is actually trending in the right direction now, he took a small step back in his 1st year but hes looking promising again

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Too young to call him a bust imo but he isn't trending the way the organization thought. Hopefully he can take a step and maybe even turn into that impact NHL player he was once seen as.

He had a very solid year last year under Bouchard. What do you mean by "impact player"? No one expects him to live up to the hattrick in the first game thing. He's a 3c, with a small chance to be a 2c. That was always the realistic expectation.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
What ? He is actually trending in the right direction now, he took a small step back in his 1st year but hes looking promising again

He had a very solid year last year under Bouchard. What do you mean by "impact player"? No one expects him to live up to the hattrick in the first game thing. He's a 3c, with a small chance to be a 2c. That was always the realistic expectation.

Maybe I've been reading the wrong Montreal fans but all I heard was that he is untouchable and is a guaranteed top 6 centre since he was drafted. He's a former 1st rounder going in to his draft +5 year, the expectation of 3C is looking more realistic than the evaluations of him from years passed. That's all I'm saying.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
We were talking ppg, not points. Keep up.
Maybe you AGAIN check before your claim something to be true.
He was in the 39th spot in PPG unless you want to start counting guys that played 10 games or less and i believe there were only 3/4 .Gemel Smith had a2.PPG in 3 games. I guess you would like to include him too. :laugh:
Roughly the same spot. 39 or 36 .That's still a far cry from 100 like you said

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
45th OA by ppg for any player that appeared in more then 10 games,

25th OA by ppg for any player that appeared in more then 20 games.
I was off by
45th OA by ppg for any player that appeared in more then 10 games,

25th OA by ppg for any player that appeared in more then 20 games.
He shoots up to # 31 when you used players that has played at least 16 games .

Either # we use it's still a far cry from 100 like that other poster was trying to insinuate.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Considering the level of play in the AHL last year, "almost" ppg isn't some great milestone.

His PPG would be barely inside the Top 100 most likely.

More than likely he turns out to be a defensively sound 3C, which is ok, all things considered.

You can edit your post when you're wrong, you know.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Maybe you AGAIN check before your claim something to be true.
He was in the 39th spot in PPG unless you want to start counting guys that played 10 games or less and i believe there were only 3/4 .Gemel Smith had a2.PPG in 3 games. I guess you would like to include him too. :laugh:
Roughly the same spot. 39 or 36 .That's still a far cry from 100 like you said

Hey, my guy ranks here.......if you exclude all the guys ahead of him, lol

Be better.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Maybe I've been reading the wrong Montreal fans but all I heard was that he is untouchable and is a guaranteed top 6 centre since he was drafted. He's a former 1st rounder going in to his draft +5 year, the expectation of 3C is looking more realistic than the evaluations of him from years passed. That's all I'm saying.
You remember completely incorrectly. For the majority of his time as a draftee, college player and pro the vast majority of Canadiens fans said he was likely a 3rd line C with the potential to maybe be a 2nd.

Yeah after his 1st game there was a bump in that but even then many were saying that was an aberration.

So definitely your memory failing you.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
He sucks, as does Biceps Timmins.

Oh yeah, so we're gonna pretend it was the plan all along now?

If all you are looking for is a 3rd liner with your first rounder, you might as well trade the pick for a NHL player. That's a lot less hassle than drafting a guy and wasting years developing one.

When drafting #25 it is very tough to find a top two line center. Some players are drafted as more of a role player. Center, can skate, good defensively, limited offence upside was his projection. That sounds more like a 3rd liner than anything.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Hey, my guy ranks here.......if you exclude all the guys ahead of him, lol

Be better.

Crazy how Maxim Legace, Kasimir Kaskisuo, and Logan Thompson weren't the 3 finalists for the Vezina last year, right? They all had 0.00 GAAs, so were therefore the top NHL goalies last year.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
You remember completely incorrectly. For the majority of his time as a draftee, college player and pro the vast majority of Canadiens fans said he was likely a 3rd line C with the potential to maybe be a 2nd.

Yeah after his 1st game there was a bump in that but even then many were saying that was an aberration.

So definitely your memory failing you.

Montréal fans also voted him as their #1 prospect over the likes of Suzuki, Caulfield, Romanov etc.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
it's just common sense to not use a small sample size of 1, 2, 3, etc.. games since logically the more games you play, the harder it is to keep your ppg up.

I agree, but my original post never claimed some arbitrary number of games played. That was decided by some random Montréal fan to make the ppg more impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad