Proposal: MTL/EDM filling needs proposal.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Burp... fart... your team stinks... my dad is stronger than yours...just lost half-an-hour reading that crap... love hf for the information and knowledgeable posters but it's getting hard to read when it's just people insulting each other....

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
7:06PM

7:10PM

Whoa... make up your mind Dr. Jekyll.

The OP was made by a Canadien fan and I accepted it... why are you trying to start a debate with me... take it up with him.

Yeah the proposal is prue garbage for EDM because it doesn't fit there need!

BUT, it doesnt fit MTL needs either cause we could probably get a collection of picks and prospects for those 2 players instead of trading them for another small center. Plekanec and RNH have produced offensiveleyt at a similar rate in the last couple of years, but Plekanec is a btter defensive C IMO. Then we add Markov (top4 D) + a pick (prob between 10-15, maybe even better) for RNH? That just doesnt make any sense

Dylan6217

Mar 12, 2016
Montreal gets fleeced haha, i laugh when homer edmonton fans say nuge is still really young and hes going to be good hahaha, hes 23 and he isnt getting any younger. So far hes proved what? He cant stay healthy enough for a full season and hes a 50 point player at most, hes been in the league 5 years now and he hasent even had a 60 point year yet. I would never give a 1st which will probably be a top 10 pick, a good 2nd line 2 way center and throw in Markov? I would give a late first and a B prospect at most because thats all the nuge is worth unless he actually proves something more.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
What need does this trade fill for Montreal? We get younger at centre, not necessarily better. We lose our #2 d-man. Is that what we need?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Montreal gets fleeced haha, i laugh when homer edmonton fans say nuge is still really young and hes going to be good hahaha, hes 23 and he isnt getting any younger. So far hes proved what? He cant stay healthy enough for a full season and hes a 50 point player at most, hes been in the league 5 years now and he hasent even had a 60 point year yet. I would never give a 1st which will probably be a top 10 pick, a good 2nd line 2 way center and throw in Markov? I would give a late first and a B prospect at most because thats all the nuge is worth unless he actually proves something more.

Not a fan of RNH or the Oilers I am guessing :handclap:

He is 23 and not getting any younger... huh?

He has been in the league 5 years and hasn't even had a 60 point year yet.... okay, try and keep in mind those were years where he was 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22 years old. He was also forced to play in the #1C role against top competition.

Anyway, maybe I am wasting my time here. A number of fans from other teams don't know much about RNH and bash him without really understanding what they're writing about.

OP: not a good trade for Edmonton. I don't think a trade will happen between these two organizations unless its a minor one involving Yakupov.

Just my two cents.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
To Montreal: Ryan Nugent Hopkins.

To Edmonton: Thomas Plekanec, Andrei Markov and a 1st pick.

Reasoning for Montreal: This is the last year to rotate our asset into something with Andrei Markov. RNH will be able to become our 2nd/maybe 1st line center providing great 2 way play like Plekanec did for multiple seasons at a fair price.

Reasoning for Edmonton: It's no surprise that the Oils need a QB type defensmen. Andrei Markov is still a top 5/top 10 pp defensmen that will help out Edmonton a ton. Plekanec is a remarkable protecting the lead player, he'll be able to surround the kids with smart veteran plays in every situation imaginable. He'll also in that 3rd line center role allow both McDavid and Draisatl to flourish offensively while he takes defensive Face-offs and the match ups against 1st line centers.

Reasoning for the 1st pick: But I hear from Edmonton fans (BUT WE NEED ESTABLISHED PLAYERS), which I agree, the pick is there for 2 reasons. 1) To balance out the proposal since RNH is younger and they take on more salary and 2) it's a great asset to flip at the deadline since for the 1st time since they went to the cup finals, they'll probably be byers.

I haven't made a proposal in years and I know there's a million MTL/EDM proposals here. Hopefully this goes well.

Filling a need? For who? :laugh:

#habsdeals

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Yeah the proposal is prue garbage for EDM because it doesn't fit there need!

BUT, it doesnt fit MTL needs either cause we could probably get a collection of picks and prospects for those 2 players instead of trading them for another small center. Plekanec and RNH have produced offensiveleyt at a similar rate in the last couple of years, but Plekanec is a btter defensive C IMO. Then we add Markov (top4 D) + a pick (prob between 10-15, maybe even better) for RNH? That just doesnt make any sense

Like I said... take it up with the OP and stop quoting me... I didn't make the deal, a Canadiens fan did.

I will say this though... past performance is a strong indicator of future performance, however, you don't make a trade based on past performance... the sole factor you use to make a trade/signing is future performance. You have to make trade based on an intelligent assessment of what they will contribute on the go-forward to your team. RNH is 23 (April 12 1993) when the season starts and Plekanec will be 34 a few weeks into the season (Oct 31 1982)... I am fairly confident RNH will project out much stronger during the course of the next 5 years... so your argument of assessing value between RNH and Plekanec is flawed.

onlygotmygrade10

Mar 1, 2014
Toronto
How about this as a comparison:

Would Habs fans take Keith Yandle and Jaromir Jagr + 1st round pick for Galchenyuk?

I doubt it. Kind of what is being offered here.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
In RNH's career, the Oilers have been a suspect -301...

In Plekanec's Career the Habs have been a solid +139...

This +/- stat you stated means absolutely nothing and you know it. All it proves is the average team Plekanecs has played for is better than the average team RNH has played for... Given that RNH has played for the worst team in hockey in the last 6 years it kind of means nothing.

RNH has certainly accomplished more at his age than Plekanec's did. By a metric **** ton. Considering RNH plays the most minutes at forward in the league at 23 a night, you'd expect his +/- to be 301*23/60 = -115, no? SO he is actually +83 compared to where he should be. Plekanec on the other hand playing 18 minutes a night you'd expect him to be a 139*18/60 = +43, so he is only actually +1 compared to where he should be if he was just any other player on his team.

Relative to the teams they play for RNH's +/- is way better than Plekanecs.

wait, so RNH plays a lot more than Plekanec. How come his ppg is lower?

Once again, you are overrating your precious 1st overall pick.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
edm would say no, but they should trade nugent hopkins, although markov and plekanec wouldnt be the solution edm would want. also, who would be Montreal's defense if that trade happened?

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
wait, so RNH plays a lot more than Plekanec. How come his ppg is lower?

Once again, you are overrating your precious 1st overall pick.
How come Plekanec wasn't even in the NHL at the same age as Nugent-Hopkins was this season? He couldn't crack 50+ points until he was 24 years old and RNH has already done it 3x at age 22.

Nugent-Hopkins career PPG = .71
Plekanec PPG = career .66

:dunce:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
How come Plekanec wasn't even in the NHL at the same age as Nugent-Hopkins was this season? He couldn't crack 50+ points until he was 24 years old and RNH has already done it 3x at age 22.

Nugent-Hopkins career PPG = .71
Plekanec PPG = career .66

:dunce:

intangibles though dude

one is a peaked player on the decline at 23 and the other is a proven winner and vet experience that has never won anything

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I could see this if the Oilers were close to a cup contender and just needed a PP QB for a couple years but they are still a work in progress. Bad asset management IMO

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
The trade proposal was facilitated to allow the Canadiens to 'recycle' their aging players into a 23 year old RNH.

Would and could never happen.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So you want us to give up a 1st line very very young Center for a couple people who's careers are likely over in a year and what will likely be a meh first? And take us over the cap? Nah dawg this proposal isn't good.

pick has a reasonable chance to be top 10...

that said the contracts clearly dont work. maybe if fayne was going back and around 1.5 mill of plekanecs deal was being eaten...

but only if edmonton feels desperate to get rid of hopkins.

personally id keep him and hope he has a good year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad