Confirmed Trade: [MTL/EDM] Brandon Davidson for David Desharnais (20% Retained)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
His line was dominant last night. Couldn't have asked for a better debut. Looks like exactly what our bottom 6 has been missing.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
DD definitely can make that first pass. Made a lot of nice passes to the slot off the cycle. If Mrazek didn't play unreal he could of easily had 3pts. Pretty good debut.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
Well how will your opinion change if Desharnais plays 2ND C pushing Draisaitl to wing.

Davidson probably never sees more than a couple games. I think he was just a warm body to replace Pateryn on the bench.

Actually the main reason Chiarelli acquired Desharnais was so they could keep Draisaitl on wing and still have depth at center. Draisaitl has played the majority of the season on McDavid's wing along with Maroon and the line has created great chemistry together.

This is not meant to be a dig at you Watsatheo but with so many people so quick to chime in on anything Oilers in other threads on the main boards, I'm surprised how many people still think Draisaitl is Edmonton's 2nd line Center.

I do, however, get what you're saying. For a while there, when it seemed the whole world knew it was wrong, Therrien was still gifting Desharnais with Galchyenuk's spot in the lineup. It was unfair to Galchenyuk, it was unfair to Habs fans and, in a way, it was also unfair to Desharnais. He just didn't have the skill to play the position and when the coach is either too stupid to see it or too stubborn to change it then the player gets thrown to the wolves (aka the fans), and falls out of favour pretty quickly.

In fact the same thing was happening in Edmonton. At the start of the season Lucic was put on McDavid's wing. It wasn't really working out as McLellan had planned right away but he kept him there to see if he'd eventually gain chemistry on the top line. After a number of weeks, fans were getting pretty discouraged and instead of putting all the blame on McLellan, Lucic began taking the blunt of the harassment. Fact is, Lucic just wasn't fast enough to create any chemistry with McDavid and it just wasn't gonna work. Fortunately for us, McLellan realized this as well before Lucic got run out of town the way Desharnais did.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
It's going to be one of those trades where this thread goes back and forth with fanbases arguing over "who won the trade". Realistically, this is a trade that will help both teams.

Davidson wasn't playing much for the Oilers, Desharnais wasn't playing much for the Habs.

Habs need help on LHD, Oilers need help at C.

Both teams got help as positions they needed help at and will get better use of the players they acquired rather than the ones they traded.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It's going to be one of those trades where this thread goes back and forth with fanbases arguing over "who won the trade". Realistically, this is a trade that will help both teams.

Davidson wasn't playing much for the Oilers, Desharnais wasn't playing much for the Habs.

Both teams got help as positions they needed help at and will get better use of the players they acquired rather than the ones they traded.

For the next 20 games. Tough to see DD get resigned. For davidson, if hes good with Habs to end the year hell be claimed by Vegas and if hes average, he could just be another Marincin

This trade definitely did help out both teams tho and a solid win win

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
So in other words Desharnais has made Draisaitl expendable :)

LOL Not quite, more than anything it made Caggiula expendable. Our top 6 always looked best with Draisaitl on McDavid's wing and RNH playing 2nd line Center. Therefore Chiarelli improved our 3rd line and overall depth by replacing Caggiula with a more experienced Desharnais who is also better at faceoffs.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Great post, I fully agree. I'm not even opposed to seeing Desharnais on the 2nd PP. He looked great last night and was setting up some beautiful chances in the slot and for the D. He and Caggiula hilariously looked great out there as 2 little guys who just kept sneaking away from checks and getting the puck to each other after Kassian got in quick and heavy on the forecheck. If he plays like that for the rest of the year then it lets us keep Draisaitl with McDavid to form a dominant line, and it lets Caggiula play his natural LW where he is more effective. DD much like Caggiula is not afraid to be a little feisty and go to the dirty areas and thats the one reason those 2 might be fine together on the same line despite their size.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You're more likely to get it for another 2-3 games then have him disappear for 20.

Bitter posts like this are just hilarious. Your hatred toward DD seems a little obsessive tbh, but perhaps this is the same treatment Horcoff got in Edmonton. Either way, I'm happy with what he's shown so far and he really just lets Draisaitl and Caggiula play in spots where they can be more effective for the teams overall performance. Even if DD+Caggiula ends up not working due to their size, we have plenty of fast big wingers in Kassian, Pouliot and Slepyshev that DD should be able to play to his strengths.

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
Good to know Davy is doing well ! A fresh start can actually help him. As long as you don't rely on him to be your 1st or 2nd center he can succeed.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
Bitter posts like this are just hilarious. Your hatred toward DD seems a little obsessive tbh, but perhaps this is the same treatment Horcoff got in Edmonton. Either way, I'm happy with what he's shown so far and he really just lets Draisaitl and Caggiula play in spots where they can be more effective for the teams overall performance. Even if DD+Caggiula ends up not working due to their size, we have plenty of fast big wingers in Kassian, Pouliot and Slepyshev that DD should be able to play to his strengths.

:laugh: What hatred? I don't hate him, I'm just telling you what to expect from him.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Good to know Davy is doing well ! A fresh start can actually help him. As long as you don't rely on him to be your 1st or 2nd center he can succeed.
Honestly he's probably the Oilers #5C behind McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, and Letestu. It was a depth pick up

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
:laugh: What hatred? I don't hate him, I'm just telling you what to expect from him.

I'm sure every fan of the Oilers will have the same rock bottom expectations of DD that you do if at any point he ends up leading the team in ice time per game.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
He is a left side guy. Hasn't really had enough opportunity on the right to say if he could become one or not, but considering Edmonton' lack of RD, if they thought he could play there he would have had more chances to do so.

Thanks/cheers for info (Davidson as a LEFTIE playing on the LEFT SIDE only...or mostly). Good to know.

They probably could have gotten Bozak+ for Davidson but I'm okay with an expiring contract for an asset we would have lost for nothing.

I'm an Oilers fan (after the Habs)...and I try to also root for the Jets. So, to be honest...for the Oilers I wish they kept Davidson and found another way to trade/pick up a Bozak instead of the Davidson for DD trade...to be honest. Or, I would have prefered a Hanzal or a Couturier-esque center for the Oilers. But, Hanzal was way too expensive and injury prone ; and why would Philly trade Couturier to Edmonton, unless Edm overpaid. But, these are the type of 3rd line centers I would have preferred for Edmonton (versus DD). Imo, DD's hottest season was when he played with a hot Pacioretty and a hot/young Erik Cole. So...surround DD with TWO fast Power Forwards and DD can look like a good point producer.

Davidson...I'm hoping the Habs give him many games (or several) before the playoffs to get him used to his new teammates. I love his life story (very inspiring...makes me wish he was kept by Edmonton 'cause he's from Alberta), but glad he's a Hab now and hope he gets every chance to succeed in Mtl.

I'm anticipating that the Oilers make the playoffs...can't wait to watch them in playoffs. Still loved it when the Oil made it to the Cup Finals with Pronger. And, miss the good 'ol days with Comrie, Grier, Cujo or Ranford, Carter, Guerin, Hamrlik, etc...those teams were darn fast and entertaining. And, that McDavid...WOW!! I prefer watching him versus Crosby. Imo, McDavid is the best since Wayne Gretzky/Mario Lemieux, but hard to compare 'cause today's hockey is much more different compared to the 1980s-1990s...imo.

Go Oil Go!! (hope the Oilers and McDAvid do super well in playoffs... and go Habs go!, as well, since I'm a Hab fan!;)).

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Happy 1000th answer everybody! Keep going!

... In others words, Leafs fan tell us right now that if Habs contact you about Davidson, you could give us Bozak + a pick for him?

This could interest me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad