Confirmed Trade: [MTL/DET] Jon Merrill for Hayden Verbeek and 2021 5th round pick

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I don't know enough about Merrill's game to make a fair judgment on the acquisition.

But Habs are clearly looking to solidify that 3rd pair. They've had Romanov there and rotating between Mete, Ouellet, and last night, Leskinen played there. Merrill has almost 400 NHL games under his belt. That's more games than Mete, Ouellet, and Leskinen combined.

Habs have more pressing needs, particularly a mobile Top-4 LD, particularly one who can play with Weber. But that shouldn't mean you can't look at steadying other areas of the roster.
This is a good deal for Montreal. He is nothing special as a player (other than having some nice flow) but they give up next to nothing to get a player way better than Mete in his own end. He'll be a good soldier for your team.

del17

Dec 26, 2015
Gave up not much don’t believe mete gets picked up which is too bad rather open up contract spot , why not. At some point we need top end talent . I would settle for Dunn and Hoffman and sell off on Armia, Tatar I keep Danault sorry

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Illitch must have one hell of a friends and family discount for tickets.

Either that, or Yzerman gets his scouting reports from ancestry.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Kimota

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
We needed a stabilizer for the 3rd pairing so that’s a good move, but if it’s the only move it won’t be good enough, we need a PMD to play with Weber.

Reactions: yianik

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Only traded for a 5th.
giphy.gif

vHAB

Apr 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't know enough about Merrill's game to make a fair judgment on the acquisition.

But Habs are clearly looking to solidify that 3rd pair. They've had Romanov there and rotating between Mete, Ouellet, and last night, Leskinen played there. Merrill has almost 400 NHL games under his belt. That's more games than Mete, Ouellet, and Leskinen combined.

Habs have more pressing needs, particularly a mobile Top-4 LD, particularly one who can play with Weber. But that shouldn't mean you can't look at steadying other areas of the roster.

Agreed, I think we needed some better depth options on D so I have no problem with this move, but would be nice to make a real upgrade on our defense as well and just push some guys down into those depth roles.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Merrill has been really decent for us this year. Y’all talking trash, but give him a chance.

Other than Petry and Weber, the Habs have a combined 4 goals from defencemen this season. 3 of those goals were scored by Game 7 of the season. So 1 goal from 4 defenders in over 30 games. Adding another 0 goals on defence does absolutely nothing for us.

This is the type of move a team like the Leafs or Lightning should make, not the Habs.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I'm not sure which top-4 young, fast PMD Habs fans were expecting Bergevin to acquire at the deadline this year.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
if we want to teach kids about "doing things just for the sake of doing without any meaning or reason" this trade is a good example and bergevin a good teacher

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad