Proposal: MTL-CHI Draft Day Blockbuster

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Chicago says no.

And, frankly, it is so utterly stupid for MTL to be fixated on positional needs when your draft pick is so high. Just take the overwhelming consensus and worry about everything else later. MTL needs quality.

The Kotkaniemi fixation is the exact logic that got us Zacha instead of Provorov and Werenski. I like Zacha a lot, and I think he has plenty of upside and potential, but he was selected because our D pipeline at the time looked good and we needed forwards. Three short years later — enter Taylor Hall, Marcus Johansson, Nico Hischier, hitting on Wood/Bratt — our needs did a 180 and some of our fans are calling for a do-over.

Take the BPA.
Great post

As for the thread, If MTL really covets Kotkaniemi, just draft him. There's 0 assurance he will be available if they trade back. CHI will be happy taking one of Hughes/Boqvist/Bouchard/Dobson or Wahlstrom/Tkachuk

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Honestly i have no interest in either Anisimov or Duclair, so this is like basically moving #3 for #8 + #27 which is an easy no.
Anisimov is a quality #2 shutdown center and bridges that gap rather easily. The return from Chicago is an over-payment to move up for Zadina. If Svechnikov fell, then we're looking at a bit better of a return.

I honestly see Montreal trading back to 8 if they're high on Kotkaniemi, because I've got him there personally. But the return I see them getting isn't as lucrative as this one is.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Chicago says no.

And, frankly, it is so utterly stupid for MTL to be fixated on positional needs when your draft pick is so high. Just take the overwhelming consensus and worry about everything else later. MTL needs quality.

The Kotkaniemi fixation is the exact logic that got us Zacha instead of Provorov and Werenski. I like Zacha a lot, and I think he has plenty of upside and potential, but he was selected because our D pipeline at the time looked good and we needed forwards. Three short years later — enter Taylor Hall, Marcus Johansson, Nico Hischier, hitting on Wood/Bratt — our needs did a 180 and some of our fans are calling for a do-over.

Take the BPA.
Normally I'd agree but the Montreal Canadiens do not need another left winger. And it would be foolish to pass up on some of the talent in this top 10 to draft one. Winning the draft lottery doesn't seem particularly fruitful for them this time around as they are pretty much the only team who are obviously not in love with the consensus pick at their draft position.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Anisimov is a quality #2 shutdown center and bridges that gap rather easily. The return from Chicago is an over-payment to move up for Zadina. If Svechnikov fell, then we're looking at a bit better of a return.

I honestly see Montreal trading back to 8 if they're high on Kotkaniemi, because I've got him there personally. But the return I see them getting isn't as lucrative as this one is.

Excellent, Chicago can keep Anisimov then!

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Chicago says no.

Take the BPA.
It's not the same thing. Kotkaniemi is not that much a reach at 3, while Zacha was a bigger reach IIRC.

He would've been fine by taking actually top 10 talent forwards like Barzal or Rantanen, two forwards that were ranked lower than Kotkaniemi but still higher than a Zacha.

Sure there's some hindsight in this, but I was personnaly really low on Zacha (like Button, something around 22-24) and high on Barzal/Rantanen. I was sure you were going for one of those two, knew it was a mistake taking Zacha.

Reactions: jfhabs

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015

Anisimov was a quality shut down second line center when he was watching Panarin and Kane play catch while standing in front of the goalie.

Now, not so much.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
To Montreal:
8th overall
27th overall
Anthony Duclair
Artem Anisimov

To Chicago:
3rd overall

1. Montreal can safely draft Kotkaniemi at 8th, while gathering other assets. I believe the draft would play out like this:

1. Dahlin (BUF)
2. Svechnikov (CAR)
3. Zadina (CHI)
4. Hughes (OTT)
5. Tkachuk/Wahlstrom (ARI)
6. Boqvist/Wahlstrom (DET)
7. Dobson/Boqvist (VAN)
8. Kotkaniemi (MTL)

2. Montreal adds another pick in the first round, where theres still tons of quality players available.

3. Anthony Duclair, the Quebec native - may have some untapped upside, that could be unleashed playing in his home province, and re-united with Max Domi.

4. Artem Anisimov adds a veteran to their C position, to help shelter Kotkaniemi (if he plays right away!). He also may work VERY WELL with Domi and Duclair, as they had their best season with large two-way player Martin Hanzal.

Assuming Plekanec returns..

Pacioretty-Danault-Drouin
Domi-Anisimov-Duclair
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Danault-Plekanec-Shaw

5. Chicago adds an IMPACT winger, which is much needed for this franchise, to complement Schmaltz, Debrincat, and Kane. It also frees up cap for Chicago to make a push for someone like John Carlson or John Tavares.

Zadina - Schmaltz - Kane
Saad - Toews - Debrincat
Sikura - Edjsell - Hinostroza
Jurco - Kampf - Hayden

*Chicago would not be done here, and likely makes a splash in Free Agency.
The 27th to move from 3rd OA to 8th OA. not enough to entice the Habs .Easy pass.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Holy overpayment Batman!!

Chicago would not do this but let’s say they did, I really doubt any team from 4-7 would call Montreal and play a game of chicken for Kotkaniemi.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Chicago says no.

Take the BPA.

But there's no overwhelming consensus for the 3rd pick. In Bob's latest rankings (based on actual nhl scouts), Zadina's now fallen to 4th while Kot has climbed to 5th. Note that Kot is also 8 months younger which is a huge factor at this point in their developments. Shades of 2016 with PLD all over again. Also, kinda similar to 2011 (Scheifele) and 2010 (Johansen). If the Habs had won the 2nd pick and they took Kot instead of a consensus pick like Svechnikov, then I'd agree with you.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
CHI says no and Kotkaniemi will be gone by 8th pick - he's the only true 1C in the draft

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
To Montreal:
8th overall
27th overall
Anthony Duclair
Artem Anisimov

To Chicago:
3rd overall

1. Montreal can safely draft Kotkaniemi at 8th, while gathering other assets. I believe the draft would play out like this:

1. Dahlin (BUF)
2. Svechnikov (CAR)
3. Zadina (CHI)
4. Hughes (OTT)
5. Tkachuk/Wahlstrom (ARI)
6. Boqvist/Wahlstrom (DET)
7. Dobson/Boqvist (VAN)
8. Kotkaniemi (MTL)

2. Montreal adds another pick in the first round, where theres still tons of quality players available.

3. Anthony Duclair, the Quebec native - may have some untapped upside, that could be unleashed playing in his home province, and re-united with Max Domi.

4. Artem Anisimov adds a veteran to their C position, to help shelter Kotkaniemi (if he plays right away!). He also may work VERY WELL with Domi and Duclair, as they had their best season with large two-way player Martin Hanzal.

Assuming Plekanec returns..

Pacioretty-Danault-Drouin
Domi-Anisimov-Duclair
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Danault-Plekanec-Shaw

5. Chicago adds an IMPACT winger, which is much needed for this franchise, to complement Schmaltz, Debrincat, and Kane. It also frees up cap for Chicago to make a push for someone like John Carlson or John Tavares.

Zadina - Schmaltz - Kane
Saad - Toews - Debrincat
Sikura - Edjsell - Hinostroza
Jurco - Kampf - Hayden

*Chicago would not be done here, and likely makes a splash in Free Agency.
Why would Montreal want Duclair? His connection with Domi on that WJC line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad