Proposal: MTL-CGY

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I think ... Maybe?
Well it has price and lehkonen in it who basically made the game "annoying" for the flames. The other player that made it "annoying' is Smith, who is uncoincidentally in this proposal...

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
For some reason I feel as if this proposal mocks the flames...
Price is by far the best player in the deal. Give him a solid defense like Calgary's and they'll have what it takes to go all the way.

Habs get Valimaki a young stud prospect LHD defensemen and Sam Bennett who could complement the Habs well. Habs also retain on Price's salary and take a cap dump.

Habs need to rebuild. They're never going to win with that shit defense. It's time for Price to go to a real contender and win a Cup and for the Habs to get younger.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Well it has price and lehkonen in it who basically made the game "annoying" for the flames. The other player that made it "annoying' is Smith, who is uncoincidentally in this proposal...

I get that part and how the announcers were talking lots about Montreal tried to acquire Bennett but I don't get why Valimaki was included?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Price is by far the best player in the deal. Give him a solid defense like Calgary's and they'll have what it takes to go all the way.

Habs get Valimaki a young stud prospect LHD defensemen and Sam Bennett who could complement the Habs well. Habs also retain on Price's salary and take a cap dump.

Habs need to rebuild. They're never going to win with that **** defense. It's time for Price to go to a real contender and win a Cup and for the Habs to get younger.
The habs as a team have been good defensively. That isn't the issue wirh price. It's his own play.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Habs need to rebuild. They're never going to win with that **** defense. It's time for Price to go to a real contender and win a Cup and for the Habs to get younger.

I'm a far bigger Smith fan than Price fan but so much doesn't add up in this trade.
1) Montreal doesn't need Bennett at this point
2) Montreal doesn't need to give up Price to fill their LD gap, they have RD depth and prospects that can fix that hole.
3) The gap between Calgary and Montreal isn't that wide. I don't discount Calgary's skill level but through 20 games Montreal has shown that it's a good yet flawed team. If Montreal fixes it's hole and it's where it needs to be.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I'd disagree with this, Montreal bleeds high quality chances. Without a top pairing LD, Montreal can't be considered a top team.
MTL 1819 5v5 Shot Locations (Against)
The habs don't bleed high quality shots. They also have a top 5 ranking in expected goals against per 60 this season. The team defence has beem good while price has not. This may sound shocking but he is the weak link of this team so far.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
This is trash for habs. We lose price AND lehkonen for only one player of value, Valimaki, who we dont need that much.
Smith is already a cap dump and Bennet is useless and worthless.
A joke of an offer.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
The habs don't bleed high quality shots. They also have a top 5 ranking in expected goals against per 60 this season. The team defence has beem good while price has not. This may sound shocking but he is the weak link of this team so far.

You saw the second period today eh? Nearly every shot occurred between the circles.

Montreal's success defensively this year isn't because of the strength of the D as a whole, it's because of the forwards driving play and working well in the zone structure and from Petry playing very well as a top pairing guy.

Benn plays very well when he's a bottom pairing guy but is routinely exposed as our top line LD. Every other player plays just as badly there.

I'm not saying Price is elite or even that he's been good, just that we can't reach the next level while Jordie Benn is our best option at LD. If we get someone to play LD, our D will actually be quite good. A LD-Weber, Shlemko-Petry, Mete-Juulsen lineup excites me. A Benn-Weber pairing scares me nightly lol

Reactions: bryan1966

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
This honestly is one of the best examples to illustrate why stats/numbers are an excellent tool to assist in player evaluations, but without watching much of the on ice product to put things into context, they can be misleading to useless.

I’ve watched all games but one and I’m not trying to say Price hasn’t been bad, but their D has been putrid. I could see thousands of examples like that link and it couldn’t possibly change the undeniable fact that their D has given a large amount of quality scoring chances every game.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
This honestly is one of the best examples to illustrate why stats/numbers are an excellent tool to assist in player evaluations, but without watching much of the on ice product to put things into context, they can be misleading to useless.

I’ve watched all games but one and I’m not trying to say Price hasn’t been bad, but their D has been putrid. I could see thousands of examples like that link and it couldn’t possibly change the undeniable fact that their D has given a large amount of quality scoring chances every game.
that aint true. Habs D was lights out first 10 (?) games or so and then really fell off a cliff since this win 1-lose 1 streak. So your statement is half true. Also, he didnt say the D was a strength but rather our forwards' speed and tenacity (forechecking) has allowed us to play good D, which is true.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015

Smith
Bennett
Valimaki
Cap dump

Mike Smith is probably the worst starter in the NHL. I'd rather play Niemi. He is a cap-dump in this proposal.

Bennett is a fine piece; young middle 6 C, plays the game the Habs way -- but we have Domi, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Suzuki, Evans; our C depth of the future is actually pretty solid, so we don't NEED a player like Sam.

Valimaki is the best piece in this deal after Price, but the Habs have Mete and Romanov as our young LDs of the future, as well as Juulsen/Fleury/Brook on the right side.

The Habs need a solid LD, absolutely, but one that can play top minutes currently -- Martinez and Muzzin fit that bill perfectly, and are likely available in LA currently. Moving forward, our three picks this year (unless some get moved) will be used to draft two BPA D-Men and probably a winger --- the Habs in 2-3 years will have an acceptable defensive group, to match their (hopefully still) elite goaltending and solid offense.

If the Habs are going to move Price (AND eat salary, no matter how little) the return has to be monstrous, and impactful for many years. Valimaki would be a good piece, but Bennett doesn't fill a need for the Habs.

For what Montreal is being asked to give up, the price is Tkachuk. Obviously, the Flames wouldn't do that --- so the deal would be:

Frolik, Brodie, Valimaki, Smith and Dube OR Kylington for Price @9m, Lehkonen, Scherbak and a 2nd.... Habs short-term address their LD issue, long-term address their LD issue, add another prospect (either RW in Dube or another LD in Kylington), and take two cap-dumps back (Smith and Frolik)

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
but their D has been putrid

Amen.

I've watched every Habs game this season minus the one tonight, and the amount of times I have seen cross-crease passes, backdoor passes, lazy defensive giveaways, no effort to clear the puck after a rebound, letting guys skate right into the slot, etc etc --- is actually shameful.

Price hasn't been GREAT this season (he's been good mostly) but good god the defensive group infront of him has been shameful

Some offenders have been notably bad (Benn more recently, Alzner, Juulsen here and there) but as a whole, this team was sorely missing Weber and Schlemko.

Reactions: bryan1966

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad