Proposal: Mtl - car

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe we can just get a sticky that tells all posters how to go about a Jeff Skinner proposal:

1) Ask for Skinner
2) Provide back a combination of lesser players, cap dumps and players the Canes don't need (for example, a defenseman).
3) When questioned about the proposal, start talking about how Skinner isn't very good in an attempt to make your proposal better.
4) Talk about how he is injury prone.
5) Might as well put it right up front in the OP, because invariably, some poster will come along and say "he's 1 hit away from being a vegetable" (or insert other colorful example). Get that out of the way right off.

There you have it.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
OP's offer is ridiculous, and I'm afraid mine isn't going to be much better but...

1st round pick - Has to be there. Likely in the 20-25 range imo.

Young NHL Roster Player - Sven Andrighetto. Not a sexy name to other fan bases and I get that. But he put up a decent 7-10-17 in 44 games last year. Prorates to 13-18-31 over 82 games. Very reasonable numbers for a rookie in a cluster**** of a season. Very good chance at earning a top 6 role this coming season and if so, I don't think 20g-20a to 20g-25a is unreasonable. A year younger, and still super cheap. If not Andrighetto, than maybe Artturi Lehkonen (LW). Hasn't played in the NHL yet, but has 2 seasons in SEL. Is expected to realistically compete for a roster spot this year.

A"ish" Prospect - One of the Habs first round picks from the past few years. Not likely McCarron from an Organizational POV, but either Juulson (RD) or Sherbak (C-experimental/RW).

Cap Dump - Desharnais. Has to happen. Can't make the cap work otherwise. It's 1 year for 3.5 and he can likely return a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline on an expiring deal.

1st Round Pick
Andrighetto/Lehkonen
Juulson/Sherbak
Desharnais

for

Skinner
other contracts as needed for 50 man list.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
OP's offer is ridiculous, and I'm afraid mine isn't going to be much better but...

1st round pick - Has to be there. Likely in the 20-25 range imo.

Young NHL Roster Player - Sven Andrighetto. Not a sexy name to other fan bases and I get that. But he put up a decent 7-10-17 in 44 games last year. Prorates to 13-18-31 over 82 games. Very reasonable numbers for a rookie in a cluster**** of a season. Very good chance at earning a top 6 role this coming season and if so, I don't think 20g-20a to 20g-25a is unreasonable. A year younger, and still super cheap. If not Andrighetto, than maybe Artturi Lehkonen (LW). Hasn't played in the NHL yet, but has 2 seasons in SEL. Is expected to realistically compete for a roster spot this year.

A"ish" Prospect - One of the Habs first round picks from the past few years. Not likely McCarron from an Organizational POV, but either Juulson (RD) or Sherbak (C-experimental/RW).

Cap Dump - Desharnais. Has to happen. Can't make the cap work otherwise. It's 1 year for 3.5 and he can likely return a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline on an expiring deal.

1st Round Pick
Andrighetto/Lehkonen
Juulson/Sherbak
Desharnais

for

Skinner

The value might be close, I honestly have no idea. The thing is, Skinner isn't available for quantity. Carolina was one of the most inept teams in putting the puck in the net. Skinner is Carolina's leading goal (and point) scorer by a good margin. The only deal that would happen would be for another goal scorer with a different style of play, similar age and contract.

Or the deal the OP proposed, as that's a steal for Carolina.

Childish Gamsteeno

Jun 24, 2015
Canada
1st Round Pick
Andrighetto/Lehkonen
Juulson/Sherbak
Desharnais

for

Skinner

This is a lot closer than OP.. Still a little quantity over quality but that's a decent package (better than what the Leafs got for Kessel who came for a cap hit of just over a million higher). The thing is Carolina doesn't need to move Skinner so there's not much incentive for them in a package like this. As a side note, if Montreal's pick ends up in the 20-25 range I will eat my sock :laugh:

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
Maybe we can just get a sticky that tells all posters how to go about a Jeff Skinner proposal:

1) Ask for Skinner
2) Provide back a combination of lesser players, cap dumps and players the Canes don't need (for example, a defenseman).
3) When questioned about the proposal, start talking about how Skinner isn't very good in an attempt to make your proposal better.
4) Talk about how he is injury prone.
5) Might as well put it right up front in the OP, because invariably, some poster will come along and say "he's 1 hit away from being a vegetable" (or insert other colorful example). Get that out of the way right off.

There you have it.

It is kind of funny that they want Skinner but when called on the value they say he is too injury prone. Meaning they are ok with an injury prone player......... WAIT!

I'll give you Lupul for that package RIGHT NOW. Heck take away all but the 2nd. DONE!

What you don't want to do it? Guess Skinner isn't that injury prone is he?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
same thing happens with Faulk constantly

OP: We want Faulk, we'll give you these scraps
HF canes fan: No way, Faulk is a stud, we will only take a first-line forward
OP: No way, Faulk sucks defensively and is not a real #1
HF canes fan: Then how come you want him so much?

*crickets*

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
same thing happens with Faulk constantly

OP: We want Faulk, we'll give you these scraps
HF canes fan: No way, Faulk is a stud, we will only take a first-line forward
OP: No way, Faulk sucks defensively and is not a real #1
HF canes fan: Then how come you want him so much?

*crickets*

Exactly. If you do not see him as a #1 guy but the other fan does then you simply disagree and say the deal cannot happen. Sure that happens in the NHL all the time.

"You know you want Lupul! And for an AHL player and 4th round pick! Top 6 forward for scraps. Take it now before I change my mind!"

"Kiss the fattest part of my a......"

*dialtone*

That is how that goes! Lol

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
While the OP is a bad proposal, you are not getting this for a guy who is one concussion away from needing to be spoon fed the rest of his life, and who has shown he is injury prone.

NEWS FLASH: Any and every player who has had or might get a concussion is one hit away from apple sauce for brains. Hyperbole is a wonderful thing when used correctly.

Exactly. If you do not see him as a #1 guy but the other fan does then you simply disagree and say the deal cannot happen. Sure that happens in the NHL all the time.

"You know you want Lupul! And for an AHL player and 4th round pick! Top 6 forward for scraps. Take it now before I change my mind!"

"Kiss the fattest part of my a......"

*dialtone*

That is how that goes! Lol

Literally, that represents the vast majority of trade proposals that I've seen for Jeff Skinner. We've got a drinking game going on the Canes board based on horrible Skinner proposals. I think this particular OP made me chug 6 beers and take 3 shots....and I might be light a shot or two.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
The value might be close, I honestly have no idea. The thing is, Skinner isn't available for quantity. Carolina was one of the most inept teams in putting the puck in the net. Skinner is Carolina's leading goal (and point) scorer by a good margin. The only deal that would happen would be for another goal scorer with a different style of play, similar age and contract.

Or the deal the OP proposed, as that's a steal for Carolina.

This is a lot closer than OP.. Still a little quantity over quality but that's a decent package (better than what the Leafs got for Kessel who came for a cap hit of just over a million higher). The thing is Carolina doesn't need to move Skinner so there's not much incentive for them in a package like this. As a side note, if Montreal's pick ends up in the 20-25 range I will eat my sock :laugh:

I certainly understand that. Nobody wants to be on the receiving end of the quantity vs quality trade. But this is probably the most realistic offer Montreal can make in the sense that we don't have a single high skill player available to make an old school 1 for 1 hockey trade. Obviously a lot of the pieces are interchangeable with other players in the organization. I also completely understand why Carolina would likely be against the trade at all.

I don't think 20-25 OA is unrealistic for Montreal. We are probably a better team than we were 2 seasons ago when we picked 26. We have better depth, much improved top 6, and hopefully a better Carey Price. 5th place in the eastern conference, 10th overall in the league isn't unrealistic.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
op is solid for the canes

skinner is injury prone and we can replace him with a proven veteran like desharnais and emelin will help shore up the defence

i always liked carter hutton (op misspelled his name, but not a big deal) as a goalie also, and a 2nd is a 2nd

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Make sure your socks are clean all season ;)

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I certainly understand that. Nobody wants to be on the receiving end of the quantity vs quality trade.

I wouldn't go that far. There are teams that would benefit. Just not Carolina at the moment. Defense, we have. Depth we have, supporting cast we have and plenty of it.

Top-line forwards, we don't have - except for Skinner. So it doesn't do us much good to trade him for more depth that we can't use.

The only thing I could see moving Skinner for right now would be a legit starting goalie, or maybe a 1-for-1 swap for a top-line center (which obviously would have to be a cap-related move for the other team)

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
we are not adverse to quantity for quality trades, but the op is laughable

no one in the world is moving a kid who just turned 24 five weeks ago, who already has two 30 goal seasons (was 2 away from 30 last year also) for that

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
a top six forward (who btw is one hit away from dying on the ice) for Desharnais(crap), Emelin(crap), Hudon(an ok prospect), Blackhawks 2nd 2017(late second).

Good lord it is terrible to be a canes fan around these boards.

Anyways we do it cause if you haven't heard were gonna regress from 18th to dead last this season cause logic???:help::help::help:

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
So we basically turn all of our dumps into Jeff Skinner?! With a 2nd as [MOD]? Sign me in!
(Sorry Canes' fans)

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
op is solid for the canes

skinner is injury prone and we can replace him with a proven veteran like desharnais and emelin will help shore up the defence

i always liked carter hutton (op misspelled his name, but not a big deal) as a goalie also, and a 2nd is a 2nd

You Canes fans must be the most sarcastic group (as a whole) on HFBoards.... I think it's hilarious.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge

My favorite to use is "He's one hit away from getting coloring books for Christmas for the rest of his life".

edit:

Oh, and this gif.

meyers.gif

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Wow. This trade is essentially Hudon and a 2nd for Skinner since Desharnais has negative trade value and Emelin's value cancels them out. But jesus that's it for Skinner? Carolina laughs and hangs up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad