Proposal: MTL - CAR (3rd and 2nd OV swap)

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
It's curious the OP dos not see that Carolina's motive in this matches Montreal's needs and vice versa. Montreal needs prospects badly. Unless they are packaging those picks for another first rounder they should not be throwing them away. If I were Montreal I would be trading for picks, not giving them away.
Absolutely. Carolina's prospect pool is deep. We've got a stacked AHL team with tons of young players. We have no need of quantity, and will certainly not pass up an elite player. Montreal's collected those picks for a reason. Trading up from a great winger to a slightly better winger doesn't make sense.

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
You say that but than you make a pretty terrible offer for the 2nd overall pick. I think Zadina is a good prospect but Svechnikov is a tier above him.

You may be right on that and I do prefer Svechnikov, but I don't think there's a tier between them.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If Carolina comes out and says they drafted Zadina because of chemistry with Necas they should be punched in the groin.

I seriously doubt many GM's would draft one player based on his chemistry with another. The NHL is too fluid and that guy you got him to play with may not always be with you. Then you are standing there with an inferior asset because you did not see it coming. You can also never predict how their relationship will always be, they have a falling out and you suddenly have an oops moment.

I can see drafting BPO.

I can see drafting for position.

I cannot see drafting because one guy plays well with one other guy at an inferior level at the cost of what you think is a superior player.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
What if Carolina hesitate between the two or only have a slight preference for Svechnikov, and the Habs really wants Svech and make that offer to the Canes?

Unless Zadina (or Tkachuk) is their guy, they won't make this trade. The offer isn't enticing...the Canes don't need additional picks; they have a top-5 prospect pool and depth, they're at the point where they should start moving some futures for help today. If we hadn't lucked out in the lottery, I think we'd have had a trade in-hand for our 1st if we didn't like what was available when we're on the clock.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I seriously doubt many GM's would draft one player based on his chemistry with another. The NHL is too fluid and that guy you got him to play with may not always be with you. Then you are standing there with an inferior asset because you did not see it coming. You can also never predict how their relationship will always be, they have a falling out and you suddenly have an oops moment.

I can see drafting BPO.

I can see drafting for position.

I cannot see drafting because one guy plays well with one other guy at an inferior level at the cost of what you think is a superior player.

To add, what’s to stop the other prospect from having chemistry with the prospect in your system? Couldn't Svechnikov and Necas potentially be just as dynamic?

One other talking point that’s being used by Montreal fans is Carolina’s drafting record with Russians. While it is true that the Canes haven’t drafted a Russian since 2001, it’s not as if they have been rushing to the microphone to draft Czech players either. Prior to Necas, the last Czech player drafted was Jordan in 2008 and the last drafted out of a Czech league was Vojta in 2005.

Even if you want to believe nationality mattered to Carolina, it’s important to remember that the team has a new primary owner and a new “interim” GM. The “interim” GM is the same guy that twice used a top pick on a Russian (Kovalchuk, Burmistrov.)

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
The difference between Svechnikov and Zadina is larger than the difference between Svechnikov and Dahlin.

Pass.

Why?

I think Svechnikov is more dynamic and more of a natural talent while Zadina is more commited and hard nosed. I'm a die hard Baie-Comeau Drakkar fan and believe me he is a pain in the ass to play against. Both are elite scorer.

I'd take Svechnikov, but the difference between them is not as big as some here seems to think.

Reactions: bleedgreen

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
The difference between Svechnikov and Zadina is larger than the difference between Svechnikov and Dahlin.

Pass.
Lmao. As a guy whos realy high on svechnikov. Dahlin is a big tier above these 2, while svech is the better to me, they are far away from being in different tier than dahlin is to both of them, thats none sense.

Reactions: bleedgreen

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Oh you think NHL teams reveal which player they're gonna pick to others teams?

What if Carolina hesitate between the two or only have a slight preference for Svechnikov, and the Habs really wants Svech and make that offer to the Canes?
[MOD] I said THE only reason they would want to fall is to draft Zadina (which is me speculating).

Last edited by a moderator:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
To MTL :

- 1st CAR 2018 (2nd overall)

To CAR :

- 1st MTL 2018 (3rd overall)

- 2nd MTL 2018 (35th overall)

- 2nd TOR 2018 (54th overall)

Reason for MTL to do this :

- While Svechnikov and Zadina are close, they would be getting the better prospect.

- Position; Zadina is a LW, so are Drouin, Galchenyuk and Pacioretty. Only Gallagher is a top 6 RW on the Habs. Svechnikov would fill a need.

- Having 4 2nd round pick in 2018 + 3 4th pick in 2018 allows them to make that kind of move at the moment. They'll get enough quality propects even if they trade 2 2nd.

Reason for CAR to do this :

- They could add 2 more quality prospects to their pool without losing too much in quality, since Zadina isn't that far from Svechnikov.

- The Necas/Zadina chemistry.

What do you guys think?
I think Carolina will take Zadina anyway

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
There’s probably no deal to be made solely on the fact that Dudley knows which guy Habs would take.

If the opportunity present itself, I doubt he would screwed is old pal with 2 additional picks.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Carolina doesnt need more picks. We need players.

Would you do the RFA rights of Lindholm for Patches? We get a solid veteran to play wing on a side of a young center (aho or necas) and y'all get a solid 2 way center that is capable to producing more offensively. We need veterans to show our young guys the right way, you desperately need centers.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
You say that but than you make a pretty terrible offer for the 2nd overall pick. I think Zadina is a good prospect but Svechnikov is a tier above him.

Yeah of course bud, it's called the 'when Montreal touch something it loses half of it's value' effect

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Carolina doesnt need more picks. We need players.

Would you do the RFA rights of Lindholm for Patches? We get a solid veteran to play wing on a side of a young center (aho or necas) and y'all get a solid 2 way center that is capable to producing more offensively. We need veterans to show our young guys the right way, you desperately need centers.

I would do that from the Habs POV. Does that work for other Canes fans here?

Last edited:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I wouldn't do it. We need the prospect we'll pick with those 2 picks. With a good draft we could have one of the best prospect pool in the league in 1 year.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
To MTL :

- 1st CAR 2018 (2nd overall)

To CAR :

- 1st MTL 2018 (3rd overall)

- 2nd MTL 2018 (35th overall)

- 2nd TOR 2018 (54th overall)

Reason for MTL to do this :

- While Svechnikov and Zadina are close, they would be getting the better prospect.

- Position; Zadina is a LW, so are Drouin, Galchenyuk and Pacioretty. Only Gallagher is a top 6 RW on the Habs. Svechnikov would fill a need.

- Having 4 2nd round pick in 2018 + 3 4th pick in 2018 allows them to make that kind of move at the moment. They'll get enough quality propects even if they trade 2 2nd.

Reason for CAR to do this :

- They could add 2 more quality prospects to their pool without losing too much in quality, since Zadina isn't that far from Svechnikov.

- The Necas/Zadina chemistry.

What do you guys think?

Actually i saw a few places reference that the Canes might actually be considering Zadina at 2nd, because of the monstrous amount of chemistry he showed he had with Martin Necas, who is also one of their prospects, at the world juniors. I think it would be dumb to pass over the obviously better Svech, so i dissagree with thsoe claims. They may, however, make the canes more prone to trading the 2nd. I just dont think that there is a point in giving mor ethan a 2nd. 2 is massive overpayment in my books.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Yeah of course bud, it's called the 'when Montreal touch something it loses half of it's value' effect
That only applies to the leafs. Habs have it easy because they’re currently irrelevant and their GM is a purple pants wearing idiot.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Actually i saw a few places reference that the Canes might actually be considering Zadina at 2nd, because of the monstrous amount of chemistry he showed he had with Martin Necas, who is also one of their prospects, at the world juniors. I think it would be dumb to pass over the obviously better Svech, so i dissagree with thsoe claims. They may, however, make the canes more prone to trading the 2nd. I just dont think that there is a point in giving mor ethan a 2nd. 2 is massive overpayment in my books.

That’s just random people speculating because their is history there with Necas and Zadina.

The team themselves have said no such thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad