Proposal: Mtl-Calgary

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Montréal doesn't want to have Giordano contract for the next 5 years.

6.75 for a #1 dman is a bad contract? Alrighty. That's fine because Calgary it's perfectly alright keeping it. I'd take that contract for a top pairing dman over what Plekanec's is for what he brings.

That would push our window back 3 to 5 years.

I don't like it

Exactly this. On top of that, outside of Sergachev, what do the Flames get for giving up a top pairing dman that is the heart and soul of the team and a future top 6 forward and potential 1st line C?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Mtl:
M Sergachev
N Beaulieu
1st 2017

Calgary:
Mark Giordano

That would be closer for me. Hurts for two years but our window would be open for longer.

Weber - Giordano pairing may never let in an even strength goal for the rest of the season haha

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Mtl:
M Sergachev
N Beaulieu
1st 2017

Calgary:
Mark Giordano

That would be closer for me. Hurts for two years but our window would be open for longer.

Weber - Giordano pairing may never let in an even strength goal for the rest of the season haha

This is a deal I find interesting

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Take out Bennett and Beaulieu and it's fair. Neither side does it.

Mtl:
M Sergachev
N Beaulieu
1st 2017

Calgary:
Mark Giordano

Would also do this one but for Montreal's cap, Beaulieu would have to switched to Desharnais/Emelin/Plekanec.Sergachev plus pick plus cap dump is pretty fair for Giordano. Not that either team does again.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Just awful. Plecanec has negative value to a rebuilding team. Otherwise it's a bunch of lesser parts for two high end assets. No thanks.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Mtl: M Sergachev
N Beaulieu
T Pleckanec
1st 2017
2nd 2017

Calgary: Sam Bennett
Mark Giordano

Wow the only thing interested in there from a Flames perspective is Sergachev.

even this year a 1st round pick that's in the second half of the round in a draft that's been described as the weakest ever isn't interesting.

not enough in there for the Flames to consider moving Bennett, and they could probably get a better offer elsewhere for Gio if they were going to move him.

xshaanx

Apr 18, 2016
Wow the only thing interested in there from a Flames perspective is Sergachev.

even this year a 1st round pick that's in the second half of the round in a draft that's been described as the weakest ever isn't interesting.

not enough in there for the Flames to consider moving Bennett, and they could probably get a better offer elsewhere for Gio if they were going to move him.

who says this years draft is weak? There's actually quite some good talent in the bottom half of this years first round...

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Montreal isn't trading Sergachev for a 33 year old defender (when examining the notion of removing Bennett and Plekanec).

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Mtl:
M Sergachev
N Beaulieu
1st 2017

Calgary:
Mark Giordano

Not trading Sergachev straight up for Gio, let alone adding. Gio is a good player but he's making 7M till hes 38.

If Calgary retains 1M most i'd do is Beaulieu + 1st + another piece.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
I will try and be as polite as possible bur can montreal fans and generally all other fan bases stop with the Bennett threads.

20 year old powerforward who is going throuvh a softmore slump. He is going to be part of the calgary flames core for a long time and is exactly the type of player you build a second line around. He alongside Tkachuk are going to wreck opposing lines for a long time. So i politely decline and say nothing on your roster intices me enough to trade him. Great kid, great with the community, determined moreso than any flames player and will done a letter sooner or later.

Sorry not for sale

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
who says this years draft is weak? There's actually quite some good talent in the bottom half of this years first round...

The draft this year is considered to be historically weak with not much to get overly excited about after the first half dozen picks.

Most of the insiders have quoted GM's who's resounding assessment of this draft is, ugh.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009

Lol

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters.

xshaanx

Apr 18, 2016
The draft this year is considered to be historically weak with not much to get overly excited about after the first half dozen picks.

Most of the insiders have quoted GM's who's resounding assessment of this draft is, ugh.

Seems like every draft is "historically week". And okay but you "say" they've quoted GM's....so who said what exactly?

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not trading Sergachev straight up for Gio, let alone adding. Gio is a good player but he's making 7M till hes 38.

And it never ends. He's old, he's expensive, blah blah blah. Guess what people, anyone that is worth anything in the NHL carries a big contract. And most of the players that could be dealt for a reasonable return are going to be older, that's just how it is. I can't believe how many people haven't clued into that.

You do realize that Weber is making $8 million until he is 40 and Markov is due for a new contract at the age of 38 which will put him in the 6-8 million range as well? Should we talk about Plekanec's contract? That contract of Giordano is quite in line with what he should have and actually not too bad at all when you look around the league. If you knew anything about Giordano you'd know that he started his career late so the chances of him staying as a top pairing dman to 38 is quite good. But no worries, Calgary will gladly keep him on his current contract and age.

So let me get this straight, Calgary retains money on a top pairing dman that is making 6.75 per in order to get back a late 1st in a weak draft and an average 2nd pairing dman? Unless that other piece is significant you should just avoid suggesting that. Would you take that kind of return for a retained Weber or Markov?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad