Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Artturi Lehkonen signs extension with the Canadiens (1 year, $2.3M)

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
A bit confused about the QO. So to retain Lehkonen’s right, the habs had to make a QO of his salary last year, which is 2.4 millions $. How come he signs at 2.3 millions $ now? Can’t he accept the initial QO ?

Reactions: Kraken Jokes

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
A bit confused about the QO. So to retain Lehkonen’s right, the habs had to make a QO of his salary last year, which is 2.4 millions $. How come he signs at 2.3 millions $ now? Can’t he accept the initial QO ?
His qo was 2.2 i believe. So gets a 100k raise from that. But his cap hit las yr was 2.4.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The qualifying offer was $2,2M, which was the base salary on his previous contract.

Why 2,3M, instead of 2,2M? Probably to avoid arbitration.

Last edited:
Reactions: pth2

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Length is fine. He's still an RFA after this contract.

I just had the perception that both the player and team are reasonably happy with each other, so I thought that usually equates to something more than a one year deal. I know Lehkonen was a scratch from time to time, but that was more a numbers game than an indictment of his play.

I guess I'm just curious which side was more inclined to pursuing a one year deal.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Too cheap and I don't like it but....that could be a set up for a 3 or 4 year deal.

Also allows for an easy higher value trade

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I just had the perception that both the player and team are reasonably happy with each other, so I thought that usually equates to something more than a one year deal. I know Lehkonen was a scratch from time to time, but that was more a numbers game than an indictment of his play.

I guess I'm just curious which side was more inclined to pursuing a one year deal.

It's still a numbers game. Habs have 10 wingers that can play a top 9/12 role.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Down to KK. Guessing nothing gets done until Eichel situation is resolved, as he would be going to tje Sabres as part of the package

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's still a numbers game. Habs have 10 wingers that can play a top 9/12 role.

It is for the time being. The difference this year is that there is more likelihood for movement, because the habs are weaker at center than last year.

But if things don't change, you're right that Lehkonen could get trapped within the numbers game again.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Pretty much as expected. 1 - year was probably Lehk's choice given the number of wingers the Habs have.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Perfect bottom six guy. Gets one more year to show if he's closer to the fourth or third line. I'd guess 3-4 year deal after; longer if he has a great year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad