Proposal: MTL and SJ

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
This is a bad take. Musty is very good. He is not Smith/Reinbacher level.
I mean Dobber Prospects and other ranking sites had Musty ranked over him. He just had a exceptional year while Reinbacher didn't score a goal with a goalie in net until almost April. And he's 9 months younger.

Really not that crazy of a take.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
If the trade is centered around Mailoux and Zetterlund, what kind of sweetener the Sharks would need to add? Musty's age fits with how long the Sharks will need to rebuild. Zetterlund is a little older and can already contribute. The talent difference is obvious. So what kind of sweetener would it take?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If the trade is centered around Mailoux and Zetterlund, what kind of sweetener the Sharks would need to add? Musty's age fits with how long the Sharks will need to rebuild. Zetterlund is a little older and can already contribute. The talent difference is obvious. So what kind of sweetener would it take?
Yeah, no.

IMO Mailloux is a building block, whereas Zetterlund is a nice complementary piece. A Sharks fan suggested in another thread that the Jets 1st for Zetterlund might be an idea - I think it's overpayment for the guy, but it's something I'm willing to entertain, whereas a prospect progressing very well, at a key position, like Mailloux, is worth more at this point, and that's just no.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I mean Dobber Prospects and other ranking sites had Musty ranked over him. He just had a exceptional year while Reinbacher didn't score a goal with a goalie in net until almost April. And he's 9 months younger.

Really not that crazy of a take.
you must have missed the part where Reinbacher played under 3 coaches on the worst team in the league with the worst offence in the league - all in the same year. You also must have missed his first games in Laval last week and how good he was.
Also, not taking anything away from Musty (who's going to be a great pro), but it's also clear very few sharks fans have watched Mailloux play and the optics of a sex criminal cloud judgment. Even though he was cleared by Sheldon Kennedy's org after doing significant community work and then cleared by the NHL

Last edited:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Nobody has a 56% chance of picking 1st or 2nd either so if you apply that standard to all teams, the Sharks are back at #1. If I'm running the Sharks, I'm not trading for Mailloux under any circumstances. They were already burned recently by someone they thought they could reform and they shouldn't take that sort of risk while they're rebuilding and certainly not at the cost of Musty.
I wasn't a fan of the Mailloux pick at the time given his BS he got himself into, but this comment makes it pretty clear you're not up to date with his progress both on and off the ice. I don't blame you I don't know shit about the Sharks 3rd or 4th best prospect lol but there's really nothing pointing towards Mailloux being an off ice concern at this point

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't put much trust in Dobber Reports. Some of their updates are from last fall.

In Mailmans case, they are from last September. About a million years ago in term of updates.

Reactions: viceroy

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Those two players just aren't in the same conversation

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
I wouldn't put much trust in Dobber Reports. Some of their updates are from last fall.

In Mailmans case, they are from last September. About a million years ago in term of updates.
Was from June 10th a couple weeks before the draft. Musty was their 11th ranked player and Reinbacher was 16th.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I'm not sure that works for Montreal. They don't really need more sweeteners (lesser picks or prospects) as they have a lot of draft picks and decent prospects, but it would be wise (IMO) to consolidate some of their assets into talented, young forwards.

I wouldn't be completely opposed to trading for Zetterlund, but it would have to make sense for Montreal, so more likely one of the younger LHD in the system or maybe Barron (another younger RHD). Zetterlund is a good young player, but IMO he isn't the ideal acquisition for a highly touted piece from Montreal.

Last edited:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'm not sure that works for Montreal. They don't really need more sweeteners (lesser picks or prospects) as they have a lot of draft picks and decent prospects, they need to consolidate their assets into high-end, young forwards.

I wouldn't be completely opposed to trading for Zetterlund, but it would have to make sense for Montreal, so more likely one of the younger LHD in the system or maybe Barron (another younger RHD). Zetterlund is a good young player, but IMO he isn't the ideal acquisition for a highly touted piece.
Montreal won't be getting a 24 year old, 20 goal, 40 point forward for Barron or Harris...

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Montreal won't be getting a 24 year old, 20 goal, 40 point forward for Barron or Harris...
"They need to consolidate their assets into talented, young forwards"

I was implying not one-for-one, but a deal around those assets. Maybe I should have been more clear.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Based on the direction of this thread, it looks like there won't be any possible consensus reached by our respective GMs.

It's basically simple enough: do you have an excess of players of similar quality in a position? If so, then you can afford to trade one. If you don't, then don't bother.

The Habs have many young D but not many good young RD. I'm not sure how many top 6F San Jose have but if they have a bunch then they can afford to trade one. Otherwise, no deal.

I dont think Fowler will ever be considered in a trade until Hughes can see how he performs in the AHL level.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Mailloux seems apologetic and I’m not going to condemn him as a horrible person forever, but downplaying the severity of the crime is unacceptable.

Let’s not get into it.

You are literally the only one that brought up the issue, called him a “convicted sex criminal” got up on a soapbox and opined on it, then it’s “let’s not get into it” after you’re done.

The lack of self awareness is impressive.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
"They need to consolidate their assets into talented, young forwards"

I was implying not one-for-one, but a deal around those assets. Maybe I should have been more clear.
Well, the problem around here is that everyone wants to consolidate multiple players into higher-end pieces. If GMs thought the same way, very few deals would get done.

That being said, it's always possible that SJ sees something in Harris or Barron and would accept a deal centered on one of them along with, say, a 3d rounder, for Zetterlund. But he wouldn't be the centerpiece of a deal getting one of the D I expect Montreal hopes to keep long-term (Guhle, Xhekaj, Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux)

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well, the problem around here is that everyone wants to consolidate multiple players into higher-end pieces. If GMs thought the same way, very few deals would get done.

That being said, it's always possible that SJ sees something in Harris or Barron and would accept a deal centered on one of them along with, say, a 3d rounder, for Zetterlund. But he wouldn't be the centerpiece of a deal getting one of the D I expect Montreal hopes to keep long-term (Guhle, Xhekaj, Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux)
That is the foundation of our team. There is too much undeveloped potential for a simple trade. Rather keep them unless there is a overpayment for a top 6 forward.

Any and all our draft choices are on the line, all our excess drfenseman are available...but not our core.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm not sure that works for Montreal. They don't really need more sweeteners (lesser picks or prospects) as they have a lot of draft picks and decent prospects, but it would be wise (IMO) to consolidate some of their assets into talented, young forwards.

I wouldn't be completely opposed to trading for Zetterlund, but it would have to make sense for Montreal, so more likely one of the younger LHD in the system or maybe Barron (another younger RHD). Zetterlund is a good young player, but IMO he isn't the ideal acquisition for a highly touted piece from Montreal.
Neither of those pieces are the base for Zetterlund.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Grinner

May 31, 2022
You are literally the only one that brought up the issue, called him a “convicted sex criminal” got up on a soapbox and opined on it, then it’s “let’s not get into it” after you’re done.

The lack of self awareness is impressive.
Not to speak for Jux, but she might have a different perspective than a bunch of swinging Richard's

Ledge And Dairy

That's the point though. If you do odds by each individual team, they're most likely to pick 1st. If you decide to show the Sharks versus the field then yeah but if you then go what each individual team's odds are against the field, you'll see similar results.

Chicago's most likely outcome is to pick 4th. Anaheim's most likely outcome is to pick 4th. Columbus' most likely outcome is to pick 5th. Arizona's most likely outcome is to pick 6th and so on.
What point exactly are you trying to prove here? The OP responded to me saying San Jose should be either #1 or #2. That is a statically incorrect statement as they are most likely to pick 3rd. The other teams individual odds on picking 1st and 2nd is irrelevant to that fact as we are not discussing the other teams.

Reactions: pth2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad