Proposal: MTL 5OA to WSH for Ryan Leonard

Carmine Cirella

Jun 29, 2023
Explain the reasoning why you would do this if you’re Washington? Just because you think the 5OA pick is worth more than Leonard? They’d be trading a surer bet who just broke freshman scoring records for a magic bean. It pushes out the timeline for whoever they draft with 5OA for that player to join the Caps which does them no good while Ovi has two years left on his deal. There’s no consensus top tier of players likely to be available at 5OA so there’s little to no evidence that the Caps would be drafting a better bet/player than Leonard.

Don’t think it’s Caps fans doing the overvaluing of picks/prospects here.

If I had a dollar for every "sure bet" draftee, I could buy Musk.

We have Hutson and Mailioux, if you ask me they are a "sure bet", but I wont put a dollar on that. Same thing with Leonard and ANY prospect.

Until they meet angry man with sticks on frozen water in the NHL, for more then a cup of coffee, we can believe whatever our hopium fantasies can come up with.

Show me where I said he’s a proven NHLer? I said he’s a surer bet at this point than someone they’d get at 5OA this year because he was 8OA last year in a better draft and had a very good D+1 year.

Are you serious, your analogy from Family guy with the boat...

Boat = proven NHLer
Prospect = magic beans

Exactly, I remember Dylan Holloway, who apparently, was the one making Cole Caufield better...
Reading this board I sometimes wonder if people lack in basic reading comprehension or if they are just wilfully misunderstanding others.

I mean, saying someone is a surer bet obviously is not the same as saying he is a sure bet (or even a proven NHLer). One is a relative term, the other an absolute. And you simply have more information about a player who was drafted last year than one that's going to be drafted this year. That's not exactly a bold claim. We have seen Leonard competing in the NCAA, the WJC and now the WC. That doesn't make him an absolute save bet to be a productive NHLer, but we absolutely should have a clearer, less risky projection of what he could become compared to guys that will be drafted this year (at least at 5OA).

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Reading this board I sometimes wonder if people lack in basic reading comprehension or if they are just wilfully misunderstanding others.

I mean, saying someone is a surer bet obviously is not the same as saying he is a sure bet (or even a proven NHLer). One is a relative term, the other an absolute. And you simply have more information about a player who was drafted last year than one that's going to be drafted this year. That's not exactly a bold claim. We have seen Leonard competing in the NCAA, the WJC and now the WC. That doesn't make him an absolute save bet to be a productive NHLer, but we absolutely should have a clearer, less risky projection of what he could become compared to guys that will be drafted this year (at least at 5OA).
I was beginning to question my own sanity so thank you for bringing this back to earth.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

Maybe you should take your own advices and read, because I pointed out his analogy from Family Guy, who pretty much means that Leonard is the sure thing.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
This year's draft is top heavy.

The problem being it's a defensemen loaded draft and Habs got plenty of them.

Personaly, there's a bunch of prospects that I prefer over Leonard that are gonna be available for sure at #5, this year.

So big no for me.

P.S.: I don't understand the mentality of drafting according to needs. You take BPA, even more so top 5 and then you adapt.
Even in terms of LD, Guhle isn't up to par with Buium/Silayev/Dickinson, these 3 have higher ceilings.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Leonard’s play-style makes him both a safe high floor guy and a high upside guy at the same time. He’s capable of pulling off some outrageous moves with high physicality and speed. He does NHL-level awareness things without the puck already. He's a bit of a unicorn prospect for me.

We are approaching the actual 2024 draft so there of course is a ton of buzz for guys expected to go high but there’s little question in my mind when you look back at both ‘23 and ‘24 drafts in 5 years, the top 10-12 throughout the 2023 draft is just significantly better. And I think Leonard went too low to begin with.

If Demidov falls maybe there is a conversation but I’d take Leonard over any of the other non-Celebrini forwards in this draft. Defensemen is a matter of flavor and preference. No issue with Habs fans saying no but little reason for the Caps to consider this either…Leonard’s progress has been outstanding the last year. Lots of deserved excitement about his pro potential and I think the tenacity and physicality he plays with is going to be a culture setter for the next generation of that team.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I think this might have merit, though there won't be a ++. Maybe a mid-rounder or something. It really only happens though if Washington REALLY likes someone at 5 and Montreal doesn't. But I don't think either team will be actively shopping. Like if Montreal really liked him that much, they would have taken him last year.

Reactions: HabsAddict and pth2

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think this might have merit, though there won't be a ++. Maybe a mid-rounder or something. It really only happens though if Washington REALLY likes someone at 5 and Montreal doesn't. But I don't think either team will be actively shopping. Like if Montreal really liked him that much, they would have taken him last year.
Montreal not being enamoured with anyone on the table at 5, and conversely Washington being enamoured with one, isn't a huge stretch.
I coukd see this happening. Unlikely? Of course. But by no means implausible IMO.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
The only way I could see Washington being interested in this is if they were in a complete tear down and rebuild from the ground up phase, in which case they might prefer having multiple picks over a single player. But, they're not.

fingermyCaps

Dec 31, 2023
Future Capitals captain Tom Wilson will mentor Leonard. Lenny will remain a Capital short of a grosssssssss overpayment, the organization is very high on him and wants him in DC asap.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Why in the hell would Montreal do this when they can just draft an equal level prospect that’s younger and just keep all the other added picks?

What a strange offer.
If the BPA is clearly a LD at that point ? Maybe a Russian would leap at the chance to play with Ovie? Montreal would rather add a F and Washington might be willing to move a beloved prospect.

It might be an unusual trade but fans of both sides seem overly defensive about it.

Vivaldi

May 18, 2024
I would take a chance Celebrini, Demidov or Levshunov over Leonard at this point, possibly Silayev. Iginla could be a lateral move but Leonard has a year of good development on him. I don't think Leonard isn't a mystery box anymore since he has as many NHL games under his belt as any of them, but he's clearly trending in the right direction after being picked 7OA in a deep draft. If Montreal offered 5OA + Winnipeg's 1st and one of those 3 (well the Russians realistically) were available I would go for it, but Montreal probably doesn't make that offer in that case. Unless they're as allergic to drafting Russians as they were last year

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Late riser that is trending hot is Iggy. One of the youngest in the draft as well. Sennecke looks good too but Iggy has everything he has on the resume and more.

Iginla Jr. was hot about 1-2 months ago but Sennecke is the new hotness. He's bigger and just as competitive as Tij.

A lot of Habs fans seem to think he's the 2nd coming of Jarome but they don't play the same. They're quite different, I mean I like the kid but I think without his dad he'd be going 15th at best.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I will echo the but why? Dude was drafted 8th last year why would the Habs give up the 5th overall pick plus more assets for him when they could just draft someone similar...makes no sense.

They stupidity of giving up a 5th and 25th and a young dman...
Harris really isn't much of an asset and Leonard is progressing so well that I think that Washington might even pass up on the 5th and 2th for him.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Harris really isn't much of an asset and Leonard is progressing so well that I think that Washington might even pass up on the 5th and 2th for him.
Right its hard to think of a package of prospects that I would move Leonard for at this point. The list is very small and I think any team that has these players doesnt want to trade them.

Reactions: wetcoast

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Maybe you should take your own advices and read, because I pointed out his analogy from Family Guy, who pretty much means that Leonard is the sure thing.
What you're missing is that the post is just saying Leonard is a sure thing to be as good as Leonard is right now.

Forget this surefire NHL thing you made up
, the point is that you don't take a D+1 prospect who had a great D+1 year and then trade all that established development just to do it again and hope you get the same result.

Nobody's predicting the future, they're saying trading Leonard now is like giving away a bird in hand hoping you catch both of the birds in the bush. It's not worth re-introducing uncertainty just to hopefully get a prospect as good as Leonard.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
If the Habs are overloaded with D's you can always trade Capitals Lane Hutson for #17 and pick a forward instead.

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
If the Habs are overloaded with D's you can always trade Capitals Lane Hutson for #17 and pick a forward instead.
Except for Leonard, you have nothing enticing enough to get Hutson out of Mtl

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Except for Leonard, you have nothing enticing enough to get Hutson out of Mtl

...So you don't want to trade a player your team drafted that has been progressing well for a draft pick?

We neither.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Montreal not being enamoured with anyone on the table at 5, and conversely Washington being enamoured with one, isn't a huge stretch.
I coukd see this happening. Unlikely? Of course. But by no means implausible IMO.
Exactly. And if Montreal weren't, there may be other better options for them than Leonard.

Reactions: pth2

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This year's draft is top heavy.

The problem being it's a defensemen loaded draft and Habs got plenty of them.

Personaly, there's a bunch of prospects that I prefer over Leonard that are gonna be available for sure at #5, this year.

So big no for me.

P.S.: I don't understand the mentality of drafting according to needs. You take BPA, even more so top 5 and then you adapt.
Even in terms of LD, Guhle isn't up to par with Buium/Silayev/Dickinson, these 3 have higher ceilings.

BPA from 2-10 in this draft is largely depended on each teams draft board which will vary by a fair amount in this draft. Lots of D in that top 10 but there are lots of forwards who will be better than some of those D... when we look back in 3-5 years. :nod:

Teams do draft BPA (what they think on draft day). Real BPA just don't exist. This is a game of evaluating 15-18 year olds and trying to project who they will be from age 18-20+.. where most of the growth happens.

Popular BPA's exist though. What most think due to influential rankings on the net. Habs could have drafted BPA in Zadina (vs KK) but the real BPA was Tkachuk and pre-draft, nobody can say Tkachuk was the BPA at 3 that year. You can only say it today using hindsight

Reactions: Qwijibo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad