Confirmed with Link: MSL retires from NHL

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
We were losing to Pittsburgh three games to one in the second round of the 2014 playoffs and were flying into Pittsburgh for Game 5. As we were beginning our descent, my phone rang. In all the travel I had done throughout my career, my phone never rang while I was still in the air. It was the worst phone call I have ever received.

It was my father calling to tell me that my mom had suffered a heart attack and had died. She was only 63.

She was always my biggest fan even though she didn’t know much about hockey. Very little, actually — there were times when she’d watch a game and have no idea that I’d even scored until my father told her. What she did know was how important hockey was to me, so she did everything in her power to support my pursuit of it.

Most men make this assumption that they take after their father. I recognize many traits I have that come from my dad, like my work ethic and athleticism, but when I look deeper inside, I see just how much of me and my success can be attributed to my mom. To become a professional hockey player, you absolutely need to be able to shoot and skate at a world-class level, but that’s not enough. What my mom gave me was the mental toughness to not let anything stand in the way of my dream.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/marty-st-louis-mom-retirement-lightining-rangers/

Really nice read from MSL.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
She was always my biggest fan even though she didn’t know much about hockey. Very little, actually — there were times when she’d watch a game and have no idea that I’d even scored until my father told her. What she did know was how important hockey was to me, so she did everything in her power to support my pursuit of it.

Seriously? A French Canadian mother of an NHL player clueless about hockey? RIP

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
That goal in game 6 is still my favorite moment in all of sports.

Yeah it was one of those things when it happened I was just smiling to myself, like it was something out of a movie. All the emotion and the game is on Mother's Day and then he scores a few minutes into the game.

He was only here for 1.5 seasons, but he had his moments.

The mother's day goal and his OT goal vs Montreal are two of the best moments in Rangers playoffs since the 2005 lockout.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
yeah true, Marty had his moments in playoffs great memories.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

Im obviously a bigger hockey fan than a baseball fan...but this moment to me is the best moment in my sports life.

i remember going bonkers when he hit that homer.

"back, at the track, at the wall, we are tied".....i want that put on my tombstone.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

Im obviously a bigger hockey fan than a baseball fan...but this moment to me is the best moment in my sports life.

i remember going bonkers when he hit that homer.

"back, at the track, at the wall, we are tied".....i want that put on my tombstone.

Agreed. I was living down in Miami at the time and my landlord banged on my door because I was screaming so loud.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014

Definitely agree. But for me, 1986 World Series game 6 because I had tickets to game 7. Mets in game 6, bottom of the 10th, two outs, Boston one strike away from winning it all, Mets down by 2 runs. Carter single. Mitchell single. Knight single. 5-4 Boston. Wild pitch. Tied game. Bill Buckner error... Mets win... I am at game 7 with Jesse Orosco's strikeout forever etched in my head...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad