Rumor: MSG <> YES discussing combined offering direct to consumer

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

NEWS: YES & MSG are partnering together, which could eventually lead to them offering a direct-to-consumer product with the Yankees, Knicks, Rangers, Nets, Islanders and Devils all on one platform.

where ya at, SNY?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Yeah, For cable cutters this will sound nice, until you see how much it will cost.

MSG is already ridiculous and thats just for Knicks and Rangers. Add the Yankees and forget it

Reactions: Shadowtron

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Probably will be cheaper to just pay for cable tbh
This. I'm over all the streaming services, TBH.

The whole value of streaming services was on demand, pay for what you want. Old School Netflix = unlimited, watch all the movies...digital Blockbuster Video. Once things started getting fragmented and everyone started hoarding up digital property and gatekeeping it to get you to buy "their" subscription, it basically became more expensive fragmented cable.

Want the Mandalorian? Buy Disney+ even though you don't watch anything else. Yeah, no. Did the free trial, binged the first few (actually good seasons), GTFO'd now that the show is meh.

Amazon is fine for me b/c we have Prime but I can see how it wouldn't be for lots of people.

AppleTV and Hulu can go choke on...never mind.

Where sports started to go wrong is when they started taking games off actual TV to pander to this nonsense.

If I'm going to pay a la carte, I don't want to pay for the "Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Knicks, Nets, and Mets." I want to pay for the Rangers and the Yankees, and that's it. And if you're going to charge me for all the crap I don't want, I might as well just keep cable because for what I'm paying I get a lot more crap I don't want at a better price than if I had to make 7-8 accounts and pay monthly fees on all of them, just to get half of what FIOS is giving me, while losing the freedom to go off the reservation on my TV viewing habits every once in a blue moon and actually still get that channel.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

The whole value of streaming services was on demand, pay for what you want. Old School Netflix = unlimited, watch all the movies...digital Blockbuster Video. Once things started getting fragmented and everyone started hoarding up digital property and gatekeeping it to get you to buy "their" subscription, it basically became more expensive fragmented cable.

Want the Mandalorian? Buy Disney+ even though you don't watch anything else. Yeah, no. Did the free trial, binged the first few (actually good seasons), GTFO'd now that the show is meh.

Amazon is fine for me b/c we have Prime but I can see how it wouldn't be for lots of people.

Where sports started to go wrong is when they started taking games off actual TV to pander to this nonsense.

If I'm going to pay a la carte, I don't want to pay for the "Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Knicks, Nets, and Mets." I want to pay for the Rangers and the Yankees, and that's it. And if you're going to charge me for all the crap I don't want, I might as well just keep cable because for what I'm paying I get a lot more crap I don't want at a better price than if I had to make 7-8 accounts and pay monthly fees on all of them, just to get half of what FIOS is giving me, while losing the freedom to go off the reservation on my TV viewing habits every once in a blue moon and actually still get that channel.

I’m looking forward to the streaming bubble bursting. Once the cable channels tried to get into the market it all jumped the shark. Netflix still crushes them all in viewership because they were first.

As far as MSG goes, it’s not a coincidence that the Knicks and Rangers figured their shit out when the Eye of Dolan fixated on the Vegas Sphere. On a related note it’s not a surprise that the Sphere is a billion in debt. The streaming price is going to get jacked up because Dolan needs to pay off his loans.

Edit: want to add to this and say I’ve been to the Sphere and they legitimately did an awesome job but once you’re inside you can see why it went billions over budget. It’s a modern marvel

Last edited:

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

Bring back physical media!

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!

Preach, brother, preach!

I ditched cable all the way back when Playstation Vue was a thing (Okay, there was 2 years where I was kinda stuck with satellite).

But even now after all these years, I'm sick of the image jumping around from flawless to decent to...questioning if the signal is being sent from NYC to Beijing to my house. And there is so much delay that you guys may as well be commentating about the playoffs and I'm still stuck in the regular season.

This should have be done DECADES ago:

Stop with the bullshit lower prices for newer customer and trying to price gauge your existing customers; offer the same rate for both newer and older customers.

Offer a genuine a la carte system. Just an example: If I want Nickelodeon, that doesn't mean I automatically want Teen Nick, Nick Jr., or Nick at Nite.

And the biggest one: piss off with the equipment fees for using a cable box and the remote.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I went on my MSG+ app 2 games ago because I was at work, clicked the Ranger's game and the f***ing Knicks game kept coming on. When I clicked the Knicks games, hoping the Rangers game would come on, the Knicks game came on.

So yea, their app is complete shit and I couldnt even watch the Ranger game that was on.

Last edited:
Reactions: GENESISPuck94

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I went on my MSG+ app 2 games ago because I was at work, clicked the Ranger's game and the f***ing Knicks game kept coming on. When I clicked the Knicks games, hoping the Rangers game would come on, the Knicks game came on.

So yea, their app is complete shit and I couldnt even watch the Ranger games that was on.

It really is. My last experience was hanging out with a buddy who was a cord cutter and had the app. Darn thing would literally freeze every 20 minutes. Every 20 minutes, middle of the game, his screen would just freeze. Then he'd have to go through a 2 minute troubleshooting process just to get the game back on the screen. Then 20 minutes later, same thing.

That's not a TV substitute or a streaming service. That might literally be worse than coitus interruptus during the playoffs.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Fubo is more worth it because at least u get all the other cable channels too and can dvr and watch anywhere.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Overcharging ($30 per month) for inferior product which is MSG+ where you can't pause, rewind or fast forward - all functions that competing apps in ESPN+ etc provide for cheaper fees - is going to be a group for class-act suits.

I'm a recent NY Area cordcutter. Please dm me if you know alternative ways of getting the Rangers games cheaper than this and hopefully with the above functions available.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Yeah. "Cord Cutting" isn't any cheaper anymore.
I have FiOS internet and TV and I pay too much, but I did recently redo my package with them and saved about 70 a month while keeping the the same channel lineup, getting way faster internet and an upgraded DVR service. MSG charges 10 bucks to watch individual NYR games, I can't imagine that this MSG/YES thing will be less than 45 a month. And ALL I watch on there are Ranger games... I'll just keep cable.
All the internet/TV providers have felt the pinch, everyone I know who looked to save money by calling in for a better deal has succeeded, it's worth a shot.
BTW if you have a friend/family member with Netflix, they can add your household to their account for 8 bucks a month... so if they are paying 20 now you'd be paying 14 each a month. If three households can cooperate that goes down to 12 a month. My parents added me to theirs and then wouldn't let me chip in. So I'm almost 62 years old and my mommy and daddy pay for my Netflix... hahahaha

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... I did recently redo my package with them and saved about 70 a month while keeping the the same channel lineup, getting way faster internet and an upgraded DVR service ...
please can you share any thing about your changed FiOS plan? here or DM? Thanks

Good for you, to still have your folks, I am almost 68, mom gone 24 years and dad 8 ...

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
please can you share any thing about your changed FiOS plan? here or DM? Thanks

Good for you, to still have your folks, I am almost 68, mom gone 24 years and dad 8 ...
Sorry about your parents. Yeah my dad just turned 90 and my mom is 84 and they are both still going pretty strong. I know I am very fortunate.
As far as FiOS, I had not changed my plan in ages, like 7 years, maybe even 10. I simply called them up said I was considering other options and asked what kind of deal they could give me. My price went from 260 a month to 190. Still robbery, but not quite as bad. I do have the second highest channel tier AND HBO and SHO, so its never going to be cheap. It is what it is I guess. Good luck.

Reactions: cwede

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad