The Athletic MSG Networks is launching its own streaming service this summer.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I get that. But if they’re not trying to pay in another teams market for a game, then whatever. Like I get @Djp or @Irie not being able to pay for a specific game, but @KiwiGriff cant pay for anything? That’s not growing the game.
Honestly the old NHL.TV was the best for international. Just pay for an account … watch every single game you wanted.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Honestly the old NHL.TV was the best for international. Just pay for an account … watch every single game you wanted.

They’re making things too complicated. Like I got Disney+ because I wanted ESPN to watch the 30 for 30 things, and maybe some of their other shows that Disney owns.

Instead I’m paying $18 a month for shit I’ve seen or have no interest in (Star Wars shit mostly). It’s stupid. I mean I get Disney wants to make their money and justify the price they paid, but make it available for everyone instead of just in the best country ever

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
$10 seems crazy for a single game, but it’s not. Still cheaper than a ticket to every Sabres game.

I do find the limitations weird though. Like why would you ever come out with a streaming option and then limit it to “people in our market”. I’d gladly pay to watch a Sabres game legally, but I’m not in their market so I should just go eff my

espn has national/ international ( outside NA) streaming rights
I get that. But if they’re not trying to pay in another teams market for a game, then whatever. Like I get @Djp or @Irie not being able to pay for a specific game, but @KiwiGriff cant pay for anything? That’s not growing the game.

I haven’t lived in the home market since mid 90s. I have had nhl center ice since i could get it.
I prefer not to deal with streaming since I have cable and I prefer to watch on tv and I can easily record it.

one thing I hate with streaming stuff is I can’t get passed the ads like I can on a dvr recording.

I signed up for espn+ just planning for a month because Sabres have a bunch of hulus.

this is the unknown. What does the nhl do given the issues with Bally. If they try to do national streaming the costs are going to be much higher than what is now because you have to pay production costs.

do they set up a local package deal where you can get local team games and league games in one package deal rather than having full espn+ access.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
They’re making things too complicated. Like I got Disney+ because I wanted ESPN to watch the 30 for 30 things, and maybe some of their other shows that Disney owns.

Instead I’m paying $18 a month for shit I’ve seen or have no interest in (Star Wars shit mostly). It’s stupid. I mean I get Disney wants to make their money and justify the price they paid, but make it available for everyone instead of just in the best country ever
This is why the idea thst streaming is going to change things is false. If you try to pay for individual channel streams will add up to more than say cable or something like Hulu with all networks

the nice thing with streaming is center ice rates feel to about 1/3 what it was.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Did you just get one game or both teams feeds?

for years I might get 2 feeds of games but on heavy games like saturdays I’d only get one feed and it usually was the home feed.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

With the metro area in the east being so tightly grouped, I am wondering how do the blackouts work there? We have blackouts over multiple large state market territories out here in the west, but very little crossover - each territory is one distinct team market, and the broadcast rights are exclusive to the network airing the broadcast in that specific market.

as far as Sabres streaming out here, I can stream nearly all the Sabres MSG games, and I can watch the actual Sabres feed. I am usually locked out of either feed when they play the Rangers. But I get most Rangers games when they aren't playing the Sabres. :huh:

Now I am wondering if it is just Ranger based when they are playing other teams carried by the MSG network, because I know I can watch sabres-Islanders and Sabres Devil's games.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Maybe get a US PO Box and sign up for ESPN+
I have ESPN now. It’s in a roundabout way though because we have to have a local sports provider account (Sky), who have the agreement with ESPN so I log into there with a Sky account. It crashes often, I can’t choose my feed and it’s more expensive than what I used to pay. Although TBF I pay nothing for this as it’s my mate’s father-in-law’s account. I suppose I shouldn’t be complaining at free hockey, but with how unstable it is I definitely wouldn’t be happy to pay for it here.

Disney+ doesn’t get ESPN here. I wish it did.
Did you just get one game or both teams feeds?

for years I might get 2 feeds of games but on heavy games like saturdays I’d only get one feed and it usually was the home feed.
I honestly can’t remember whether I got choices of feed or not. I remember enjoying being able to put Picture in Picture on so I could watch two games and switch during ads. I’m sure it crashed sometimes but I don’t remember it doing so. ESPN requires me to refresh my browser multiple times per game.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
With the metro area in the east being so tightly grouped, I am wondering how do the blackouts work there?

Now I am wondering if it is just Ranger based when they are playing other teams carried by the MSG network, because I know I can watch sabres-Islanders and Sabres Devil's games.

I would assume a combination of zip codes and teams. Teams declare a list of zip codes they consider in their region and any attempt to log on (or if your billing zip code) from within that list is blacked out.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
With the metro area in the east being so tightly grouped, I am wondering how do the blackouts work there? We have blackouts over multiple large state market territories out here in the west, but very little crossover - each territory is one distinct team market, and the broadcast rights are exclusive to the network airing the broadcast in that specific market.

as far as Sabres streaming out here, I can stream nearly all the Sabres MSG games, and I can watch the actual Sabres feed. I am usually locked out of either feed when they play the Rangers. But I get most Rangers games when they aren't playing the Sabres. :huh:

I live in Seattle area so through nhl center ice I recall getting some dual feeds and sometimes single feeds. The single feeds were tied to who was the home team. I think there also might have been some system compatibility issues with certain feds of games where you tended to get the others team feed like road teams feed for a home team.

teams declare areas and tv markets that are theirs. It happens in baseball. Buffalo over the years got cable channels from nyc feeding Yankees and Mets games so those woukd get blacked out on non exclusive espn games or you can an alternate feed. Toronto because if international border woukd not control buffalo.

thrn buffalo ehen say affiliated with buffalo might have gotten 20 or so mid summer games aired. But Pittsburgh woukd declare this market as theirs and black out games even though they were not on air locally.

I was living in Virginia Beach/ norfolk area at the time of 05/06. I went to game 5 in Raleigh which was on Memorial Day weekend.

prior series buffalo was playing Ottawa and Carolina played no I think. On versus they blacked out a game thst I couldn’t see and was like WTF. I emailed versus corporate. They told me Carolina claimed part of the market because FOX sports Carolina aired the game. Fox sport south was not on my cable but the TV market of Norfolk has a few north Carolina counties reach down to kitty hawk and nags head. Those NC counties git fox sports. They blocked the market because of 2 or a few co7nties.

In the nfl and iypts 75 mile black out rule has similar criteria. Erie, Rochester are easily inside the Radius. Elmira/ Corning/ bath is inside but the market only grew after thus was declared and being small buffalo let it be.
with syracuse…only Yates county is within the 75 mile radius but over the years it’s ping ponged between Rochester and syracuse. Due to exurb development and natural flow I think Yates stays in Rochester. Thry have a main road from Penn tan thst goes to canidadaguia thrn to Rochester. Going to Syracuse the finger lake blocks a path.

I would assume a combination of zip codes and teams. Teams declare a list of zip codes they consider in their region and any attempt to log on (or if your billing zip code) from within that list is blacked out.
They grnerally operste at county level equivalent FIPS codes ehich designate TV and media markets. Some of the border counties are shared Between markets.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
More f***ing fragmentation. I wonder if they pull it from Fubo and the like to force people to subscribe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad