The Athletic MSG Networks is launching its own streaming service this summer.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
30 bucks a month... seems pricey .. but this is awesome

I will have to figure what my VPN is a month and add 9.99 for ESPN plus to see if it worth it

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
30 bucks a month... seems pricey .. but this is awesome

I will have to figure what my VPN is a month and add 9.99 for ESPN plus to see if it worth it

Yeah, I thought their price points were high. Maybe they did that intentionally to leave room for special promos? :dunno:

My vpn with ESPN+ runs way cheaper, but it's too buggy and complex for someone older like my dad to figure out. So I may spring for it as a gift for him.

Either way, it's a nice option to have and a good first step towards getting away from the traditional RSN model.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Holy crap. $30 a month (or $25/mo if you pay for a year up front)? Yikes.

I guess at least if I ditch cable it would offer a reliable option to stream Sabres games. I’m glad they came out with a streaming service. I was just hoping for a much more reasonable monthly price.

Yeah, I thought their price points were high. Maybe they did that intentionally to leave room for special promos? :dunno:

My vpn with ESPN+ runs way cheaper, but it's too buggy and complex for someone older like my dad to figure out. So I may spring for it as a gift for him.

Either way, it's a nice option to have and a good first step towards getting away from the traditional RSN model.
Are you able to watch all of the Sabres games this way? Do they air all the Sabres games in ESPN+ for people out of market?

Does the VPN cause any buffering (etc)? I know it causes a big hit to internet speeds.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Just include pre/ postgame.
I dont know why they cut it in every service.
Its there for a reason and part of the game.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Are you able to watch all of the Sabres games this way? Do they air all the Sabres games in ESPN+ for people out of market?

Does the VPN cause any buffering (etc)? I know it causes a big hit to internet speeds.
I've been using the VPN and ESPN+ for the last couple of years and it has worked reasonably well. Streaming quality is sometimes a little rough, but I live out in the country and don't have super reliable internet. It's mostly fine for the games.

You don't get all the games though. Sometimes they are on TNT or NHLN. It's only a few times a season and there are other options when that happens, but it's a minor inconvenience worth mentioning.

The VPN can be a little tricky to set up if you are not tech savvy, I will admit. I'm usually able to get it to work within 5 minutes with my set up, but sometimes you do have to restart the router, the VPN, ESPN app, delete the app cache, etc.

It's a decent option overall, but not perfect.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Given one of my best mates is an Isles and Knicks fan ... if it works for us tucked away in the South Pacific and we can both share it, might be worth springing for it.

Reactions: Chainshot

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
The $9.99 price - for individual games? Or Individual Teams? I'd probably pay that per month for just the sabres.

But yeah, $30/month?! get out of here.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
The $9.99 price - for individual games? Or Individual Teams? I'd probably pay that per month for just the sabres.

But yeah, $30/month?! get out of here.
If it were for individual teams, I would do it. The ESPN+ feed is usually wonky plus not seeing pre- or post-game shows is frustrating. Heck, even for some of the games that are blacked out or I don't subscribe to a particular streaming service, I may even do it for single games. Once or twice.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Just checked... VPN is 7 bucks a month.. that makes it cheaper for VPN and ESPN plus

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Have to look into this but at $30 per month I'm not sure I want to go that route vs having Fubo.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
$10 seems crazy for a single game, but it’s not. Still cheaper than a ticket to every Sabres game.

I do find the limitations weird though. Like why would you ever come out with a streaming option and then limit it to “people in our market”. I’d gladly pay to watch a Sabres game legally, but I’m not in their market so I should just go eff myself

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
The nice part is that the service will be developed. Hopefully they will have a decent quality app available on typical streaming platforms.

I worked out a deal with family to share an online Spectrum TV login (only works because we have different ISPs). But I literally only use it for the Sabres and to get Jeopardy & Bills games more reliably than the antenna. If this stops working, I would gladly pay $30 a month to see all the Sabres MSG games (I assume ESPN+ is all I need to get the rest). It beats paying $70+ for Fubo or cable.

That said, too much a month for me to justify. If they have a snappy, reliable app for LG or PlayStation, I’d consider it. Spectrum doesn’t, and I get stuck casting from an iPhone (which works surprisingly well most of the time).

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
$10 seems crazy for a single game, but it’s not. Still cheaper than a ticket to every Sabres game.

I do find the limitations weird though. Like why would you ever come out with a streaming option and then limit it to “people in our market”. I’d gladly pay to watch a Sabres game legally, but I’m not in their market so I should just go eff myself
MSG doesn't have the rights to stream out of market

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad