MSG looks to bring "fake enthusiasm" to games...

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I don't even understand whats going on..

Edit-- I get it now. What's the problem? It will be weird when they tell you to move your arms to the left or right, your arms will be all over someone.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
It looks like a system where if a bunch of people in a section are really good at "doing the wave" then that section "wins" when they are playing a titantron game.

I just use as an example I suspect there's a bunch of different things they will try to get the fans to do.

Personally I would welcome anything other than the banal canned music often played between each whistle.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
it's better than Cameron, the sweaty t-shirt guy, I think.

but he is effective. although working the lower bowl at MSG, might be a little different than working the lower bowl at the Rock. kind of a discrepency in money and caste. :laugh:

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
I'd be more than happy with being shown hilights of Bill Cook and Frank Boucher during intermission............ and bring back the organ interludes!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If they want more enthusiasm, just have a 25 cent beer night

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
People ask as if this is going to have mandatory participation.

It's something to do (that will probably work sponsorship into it) during TV timeouts.

Most places already do enough gimmicky promos...this one actually sounds half-fun though.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
it's better than Cameron, the sweaty t-shirt guy, I think.

but he is effective. although working the lower bowl at MSG, might be a little different than working the lower bowl at the Rock. kind of a discrepency in money and caste. :laugh:

oh man......that ****er. cant stand fake fans that only get pumped due the fact they are paid to. its an insult to the true fan who really does get emotional over their team and the sport in general.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
There is a special place in hell for those in charge of "game day presentation"

Hows about they show highlights around the league during the time outs?

league highlights and historical clips........ there is no need for anything else.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
Call me crazy but during the T.V. Timeouts I like to chit chat about the game, if others wanna do the macarena, whatever floats your boat.

I'd like to know what the extra costs (if any) that these things bring to the fans, what's the bottom line per ticket?

league highlights and historical clips........ there is no need for anything else.

+1

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I'd like to know what the extra costs (if any) that these things bring to the fans, what's the bottom line per ticket?

Determine the size of the facility (fans, players, team staff, plus workers) and head to your favorite music/video (copyright) royalty organization to determine how much you'll owe. (My guess is that most venues have a licensing agreement and pay a few thousand dollars/game to use their song/video clips.)

Or if original music/video (created specifically for venue), then figure out the cost of creation (and any residual fees).

So, once you have the cost, divide by paying fans. My guess is ~$1 per person.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Determine the size of the facility (fans, players, team staff, plus workers) and head to your favorite music/video (copyright) royalty organization to determine how much you'll owe. (My guess is that most venues have a licensing agreement and pay a few thousand dollars/game to use their song/video clips.)

Or if original music/video (created specifically for venue), then figure out the cost of creation (and any residual fees).

So, once you have the cost, divide by paying fans. My guess is ~$1 per person.
I'm no copyright lawyer and I don't play one on TV....although I auditioned a couple times....that's neither here nor there....anyway....the use of songs in an arena, what does that cost? There is no profit being made by the use of these songs....is licensing required? They aren't selling the song nor are they profiting by playing the song. It doesn't seem to be much different to me than the music a bar/club chooses to play...and I'm quite certain they don't pay licensing fees to use that music.

Anyway....back on-track with this gimmick....I'd rather, if I choose to, participate in a promotional gimmick by way of this technology than listen to some annoying woman's voice, a woman that can't comprehend amplified sound, yammer on to some dimwit fan about choosing which animated character on the scoreboard will win some ridiculous contest so he can go home with an amazing t-shirt and coupon provided by the sponsor.

If anything....I would think it would keep the rink rats occupied and not climbing all over the seats.

It has been used in other venues already.....if anyone has witnessed it...is it better, worse or the same as the other promos?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Personally I would welcome anything other than the banal canned music often played between each whistle.

Pretty sure Coldplay will survive just fine absent the rights fee's they receive from all 30 teams for using their stolen anthems. A little less sass & a lot more substance please. "Game Presentations" rather than complimenting detract from "The Game" itself.

I'd be more than happy with being shown hilights of Bill Cook and Frank Boucher during intermission............ and bring back the organ interludes!

Exactly. Your hired. Bill & Bun. Kindly get rid the trapezoid crease, rink board & on-ice advertising, and please, remove the players names from their sweaters. Only Wurlitzers, Moogs or Yamahas's allowed to be heard. No more pizza draws. No draws period. Except on the ice because regular season OT is gone as are the idiotic shootouts. That'd make me very happy.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I'm no copyright lawyer and I don't play one on TV....although I auditioned a couple times....that's neither here nor there....anyway....the use of songs in an arena, what does that cost? There is no profit being made by the use of these songs....is licensing required? They aren't selling the song nor are they profiting by playing the song. It doesn't seem to be much different to me than the music a bar/club chooses to play...and I'm quite certain they don't pay licensing fees to use that music.

Playing music in bars and restaurants is considered a public performance - and an ASCAP license is required.

http://www.ascap.com/licensing/
http://www.ascap.com/licensing/pdfs/brochures/using_copy_righted_music.pdf

One would certainly be required for playing music (that is covered by ASCAP's repertoire) in an arena.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Playing music in bars and restaurants is considered a public performance - and an ASCAP license is required.

http://www.ascap.com/licensing/
http://www.ascap.com/licensing/pdfs/brochures/using_copy_righted_music.pdf

One would certainly be required for playing music (that is covered by ASCAP's repertoire) in an arena.

I'll read your links in a second, and thanks for providing them, but I should say that I asked because I have heard of people (record companies) paying venues to play their music. Since it is a free advertisement for the music and no profit is being made from it....

It also made me think of it more deeply because I can't imagine Junior A venues and Junior B venues pay a licensing fee to play certain music during games.

If they do (NHL clubs, Junior A, B or all or some) I wonder how much it is. It can't be very much.....common sense makes me think record companies would waive the fee to get their music played to 18,000 fans. But common sense doesn't seem to be very common... HAY-OH! :laugh:

I use "18,000" somewhat loosely as I recognize many NHL arenas have nowhere near that many people in them. But that "potential", that I hear so much about, is there.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
In addition to KDB's ASCAP link, larger venues in the US will carry both ASCAP and BMI liscensing agreements

http://www.bmi.com/licensing

Not all major artists are covered under both. If you only had one licensing agreement you could only play the artist registered with their agency, so having both in a large venue is common.

In Canada SOCAN has a transfer arrangement to cover ASCAP and BMI artists.

Edit:

SESAC is the third licensing company... growing but the smallest of the 3 firms...

http://www.sesac.com/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad