OT: MSG+ app

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
I was able to get the MSG+ app on my phone through Google play, but when I go to Google play on my tv the MSG+ app doesnt show up in the app store, anyone else have this issue?

Just trying to figure how to get MSG+ on my tv

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Unfortunately it's not on most app stores. I was able to side-load a version of MSG+ on my firestick, but after the update it stopped working. It currently list the chrome cast as available device for casting, so you might be able to get a $30 chrome cast and use the cast option from your phone. You may be able to just cast it anyway without chromecast, depending on your device and tv.

I have a few things I want to try so I'll report back a little later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Ramsay

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
I guess I can just cast it from my phone, just seems so odd to me that its in the google play store in phones, but not on the tv

Reactions: Lua

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I guess I can just cast it from my phone, just seems so odd to me that its in the google play store in phones, but not on the tv
Is your TV cloud-connected or something? The TV might need a firmware update that will refresh the Google Play within. It's probably running on an "instance-in-time" version of Google Play and gets periodic updates, maybe.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
How would I go about updating the firmware?
Is your TV cloud-connected or something? The TV might need a firmware update that will refresh the Google Play within. It's probably running on an "instance-in-time" version of Google Play and gets periodic updates, maybe

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

It's not that uncommon. The software that runs on Smartphones and TV's is different and not uncommon to find an app that hasn't been tailored for a Smart TV.

Casting from app on smartphone is prob your best option.

Another workaround would be to launch a web browser from the Smart TV if it has one or one can be installed and go to MSG+ and signing in and watching that way, as if you were watching on a PC.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I tried all the versions I could find of the apk, it wasn't supported for the firestick. I was able to load one on my tv but that didn't work either. You can try checking for updates, but if it doesn't carry it, you may be out of luck without casting it, or using the website URL on your TV.

Ignore. Poster above me already suggested that. The website specifically list iOS, Android, web (www.msgplus.tv), Samsung Smart TV, Apple TV and Android TV. My Samsung TV (Last years model QN90B), does not have it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Ramsay

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This is bothering me. Mostly because I have a newer Samsung and they use Titan OS without the ability to download any app you want, or switch to enable installing from unknown sources anymore.
But if you're rocking an Android TV, maybe this will work.
Open a web browser on your TV if available (If not use a USB to download it from your computer. *May need a file manager app installed on your tv from the app store if you use the USB route)
Go to tv.aptoide.com (an alternative to the play store. *MSG+ is listed in their store)
Install the Aptoide store.
Search for MSG+
Install.

Hopefully this is allowed to be posted.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Did anyone have an issue casting the game today via the app? My picture was just incredibly clippy. Changed to a different source running the same feed and it was flawless.

Reactions: will1066

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Did anyone have an issue casting the game today via the app? My picture was just incredibly clippy. Changed to a different source running the same feed and it was flawless.

Yes, it was like a slow fps or something, made the game look like a film. I stopped casting and watched on my laptop instead. MSG GO > MSG+.

Reactions: bleedblue94

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The quality wasn't the best but what bothered me was I was about 45 seconds behind. So I went back to my IPTV which was about 30 seconds behind :(

• Wow
Reactions: bleedblue94

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
wait... so I cant 'technically' subscribe out of state?

I had to put my old New York zipcode for it to work....

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
wait... so I cant 'technically' subscribe out of state?

I had to put my old New York zipcode for it to work....
Where do you live? Without a VPN, it'll only work in the NY area, most of NJ, some (maybe all) CT, and some PA depending on MSG availability.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Where do you live? Without a VPN, it'll only work in the NY area, most of NJ, some (maybe all) CT, and some PA depending on MSG availability.
Yeah I have a VPN but maybe my expectations were off.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Yeah I have a VPN but maybe my expectations were off.

I think MSG still needs to play nice with the league, which wants to protect the ESPN+ product for out-of-towners. So, MSG+ is a regional streaming service.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
For those that have tried it for the preseason games, how is the stream quality when casting to a TV from a device?

Last edited:

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Just use a free streaming site like everyone else. This is a waste and Dolan is just being greedy

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I tried all the versions I could find of the apk, it wasn't supported for the firestick. I was able to load one on my tv but that didn't work either. You can try checking for updates, but if it doesn't carry it, you may be out of luck without casting it, or using the website URL on your TV.

Ignore. Poster above me already suggested that. The website specifically list iOS, Android, web (www.msgplus.tv), Samsung Smart TV, Apple TV and Android TV. My Samsung TV (Last years model QN90B), does not have it.
double ck vs what I did.

This is bothering me. Mostly because I have a newer Samsung and they use Titan OS without the ability to download any app you want, or switch to enable installing from unknown sources anymore.
But if you're rocking an Android TV, maybe this will work.
Open a web browser on your TV if available (If not use a USB to download it from your computer. *May need a file manager app installed on your tv from the app store if you use the USB route)
Go to tv.aptoide.com (an alternative to the play store. *MSG+ is listed in their store)
Install the Aptoide store.
Search for MSG+
Install.

Hopefully this is allowed to be posted.
fyi my post below

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
double ck vs what I did.

fyi my post below
I don't see your post. But I checked like 5x at the time of posting. I haven't bothered since and will most likely just use my IPTV and deal with being 30 seconds behind the live stream.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I today this pm installed it on my Samsung AU8000 43 inch model, about 2-ish yrs old, which i got from B&H,

I am using spectrum.
I have a basic package $49/mo reduced, but then they hit you if you want to record, also does not include broadcast charge or some other fee they ping you for.

But the OS is via Samsung
I went to all apps which is a few clicks to the left on my setup.
You don't immediately see it w/individual [entertainment/specialty] apps.
You have to go into where Sports apps are
Then select install,
it gives you a code.

You then go to msgplus site on the internet
enter provided code
follow prompts, select teams
it was not obvious/intuitive about choosing the payment plan
I saw upcoming Rangers game on menu, locked, clicked on it, THAT gave me access to set up a pay plan

No game experience yet, checking out some 70s Knicks, looks good, and I have the super el cheapo minimum throughput.

Trust all found this helpful.

There was an option to activate for free if you had this paid via your provider -- in this case spectrum -- but the idea here is to be free of that and have msg provide directly w/no middle man

best to all
bern

I don't see your post. But I checked like 5x.
Sorry, was typing it, I quoted you before I provided my update.

Was your experience w/dif Samsung model and possibly another provider [that should not be overriding that you are going thru Samsung] such that you are still stuck, or was this of any help?

Reactions: Atax and will1066

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad