TV: Mrs Davis (Peacock 4/20)

kook10

Jun 27, 2011

The new show from Lost and The Leftovers’ creator Damon Lindelof and Tara Hernandez (who worked on The Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon) follows a nun, Simone, as she fights an AI affectionately known by its users as Mrs. Davis. Owen Harris, who directed the excellent Black Mirror episode San Junipero, and Alethea Jones, who has directed multiple episodes of the superb (and similarly weird, funny, and dark) Evil, are directing multiple episodes, as well as executive producing. So the show has the kind of creative forces behind it that promise something fascinating.

Mrs. Davis’ adversary is Sister Simone of Reno, portrayed by Betty Gilpin (GLOW), who believes the AI intends to brainwash and enslave all of humanity by providing, according to an in-character statement sent to the press, “validation, gentle guidance, and unconditional care” as well as “the chance to earn Wings by performing Quests!” While those details aren’t explicit in the trailer, we do see Sister Simone embark on one of these Quests — to find the Holy Grail, no less — while undercover. Along the way, Simone gets in sticky situations, leading her to wield a nunchuk-esque weapon. Meanwhile, Jack McDorman (Dopesick) may be Simone’s rebellious ex, but he has a personal vendetta against Mrs. Davis that brings the two back together.

Reactions: wej20

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Looks intriguing. Chris Diamantopoulos was hilarious in Silicon Valley.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Caught the first two episodes so far, will likely finish the other 2 some point today.

Early impressions for me are positive. Just 2 episodes in and it feels like a very unique show. Theres a lot of over the top moments, but they dont really come off as corny, its executed well.

Theres also a lot of humor throughout and seems pretty meta overall. I can see this show quickly becoming a mindf*** because just 2 episodes in its clear you cant take what you see at face value, theres likely something behind the scenes pulling the strings.

I think this show is coming out at a great time with all the recent AI advancement. AI and personal data extraction creeps me out and is a bit worrying where it might end up. I expect this show will do a great job showcases what AI could become in a certain reality.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Caught the first two episodes so far, will likely finish the other 2 some point today.

Early impressions for me are positive. Just 2 episodes in and it feels like a very unique show. Theres a lot of over the top moments, but they dont really come off as corny, its executed well.

Theres also a lot of humor throughout and seems pretty meta overall. I can see this show quickly becoming a mindf*** because just 2 episodes in its clear you cant take what you see at face value, theres likely something behind the scenes pulling the strings.

I think this show is coming out at a great time with all the recent AI advancement. AI and personal data extraction creeps me out and is a bit worrying where it might end up. I expect this show will do a great job showcases what AI could become in a certain reality.
After the first four episodes I'm still really enjoying the show and interested to see where it goes. I'd probably give it an 8/10 so far.

I really like the way that they are humanizing Jesus. Very clever and helps you build more of an emotional connection. I thought the whole wings concept quite interesting and really believable. The whole expiry date for the wings is an interesting choice by Mrs. Davis. Its almost a form of population control. Loved the whole resistance. JQ is hilarious and I love how over the top he is.

Reactions: wej20

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Still nobody else checking this out?

Another solid episode with episode 5. So far episode 3 is the only bit of a downer episode imo, thought the whole Excalibur stuff went on a bit too long and could have easily been reduced in time. I'm still loving the over the top camp that this show is providing. Its so ridiculous but executed very well. Its gotta be one of the most meta shows out there (creating a superbowl commercial for a bowl that is quite super). Really loved how after the first 4 episodes they introduced a lot of questions and unknown, but then episode 5 they explained a lot of it. They didn't leave the viewers wondering about stuff for a long time like other mystery box shows do. While they answered a lot of questions, it lead to new questions being asked and to think about.

I think Clara is definitely still alive. This show opens with someone losing their head and then showing that it was all just part of a magic trick/scam. Clara was already shown doing 1 trick (swapping the bowls) and basically rigged it so she would be the one to drink out of the cup. "The Boss" is definitely connected to Mrs. Davis in some way and theyre both manipulating this entire plot. Wonder what will happen to Wiley and if he will really die by the end of season 1. While Lindelof shows can often have dark undertones throughout, they typically end with a happy ending. Looking forward to the remaining 3 episodes and how this will all play out.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Watched the first episode last night, really like the intro where they set upu the AI and the Holy Grail. Definitely one of the more unique shows I've seen recentrly.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Still nobody else checking this out?
I've got to catch up. I actually work for the studio and had previously read the first script. I enjoyed watching the first episode because it's a good kind of different. It was done a bit wackier/more comedic than it read. I am curious how many people actually have Peacock though.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I've got to catch up. I actually work for the studio and had previously read the first script. I enjoyed watching the first episode because it's a good kind of different. It was done a bit wackier/more comedic than it read. I am curious how many people actually have Peacock though.

I totally have Peacock :sarcasm:.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Luckily for us Canadians we get it on crave which is our HBO streaming equivalent. But yeah I was ready to watch it through other means.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Luckily for us Canadians we get it on crave which is our HBO streaming equivalent. But yeah I was ready to watch it through other means.

On one hand it is great that there are so many different platforms now, means interesting stuff like this has more chance of being made. Downside is the audience is so fractured and it is expensive to have all the different platforms.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I love JQ so much lmao. Hes so ridiculous and over the top but I find him hilarious.

Him explaining the concept of tilt 🤣 (Simone is literally on tilt rn goin after this holy grail shit and slowly damaging her pre-existing relationships). Love him giving props to Celeste, "Game recognize game nun... your mum, shes a freakin ASSASSIN" while he does a karate kick while jumping out of the truck 👌

Only 2 episodes left but they still got me guessing on a lot of stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: End of Line

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
So they switched this show to a limited series/anthology when submitting for awards. So this likely means this will be the last we see of these characters even if there is another season :(

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
This has been a great fun, quirky, little show. Will miss catching a new episode each week. Looking forward to what lindelof puts out next

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad