Post-Game Talk: Mrazek has 3 syllables in his name, Wings scored 3+ goals, Half Life 3 Confirmed

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
They've scored at least 3 in their last 3.

sure, but since the beginning of January, 7 of the last 11 have been games where they've only managed to grab 2 goals in regulation (it's 8 outta 11 if ya don't count Glendenning empty netter).

At least it's trending in the right direction, i suppose...

Tangready first and last game , bring AA . Erickson needs to go and I don't care where

Really? I thought he was alright.

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
Mrazek in the month of January:

7-1-1
7 consecutive wins on the road
.952%
1.71 GAA
2 SO

Beast. :yo:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Mrazek had a couple of terrific saves in the 3rd. He gets those difficult saves, shots that go high over the shoulder. That's not easy to do. He's really finding his consistency now. We need great goaltending, because not else about this team is looking great right now.

Datsyuk was a mess in this one. Turnovers, quite a few weak plays.. couldn't get that stick-lift on the breakaway, something he used to have a 100% success rate with. I hope Dats can have a good break, rest, rehab if he has any lingering injuries, get some strength back. Because we need him to be better than this.

The good thing is Z looks 10x better at this point in the year compared to last year. Also Helm and Jurco are playing really well. What we really need is for Tatar and Nyquist to get going again. Even if our offense has been a little better the last few games, we can never quite break through because anytime 1 or 2 slumping players get going, another 2 or 3 get into a slump. Only Larkin has been consistent.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
Things that stuck out to me.
Petr: amazing
Abby, Z, Dats: Had strong games and overall looked solid.
Brichards: Glad he got on the score sheet and made some solid plays.
Shehan: Was very happy with his play and tenacity.
Jurco: Looked oddly good tonight. Didn't do anything spectacular but was moving his feet and playing hard.
Helm: Looked great.
DDK: Looked very solid and great on the goal.
Marchy: Not too shabby, even though he didn't play as good as I think he's played it wasn't terrible.
KFQ: Eh not bad
Big E: Awful
Smith: Meh
Goose and Tats: terrible. They were the only 2 playsers besides big E I was yelling at my TV due to play. Couldn't catch a pass, couldn't skate with the puck etc. They have to start playing better.
Larkin: nothing really needs to be said.
The rest: Didn't stand out good nor bad for me really.

Austin Wings Fan

Mar 9, 2010
Great effort by the boys. Glad to see them go into the break on a high note.

Big swing through Florida coming out of the break. Hope they come back ready to go.

Will be VERY curious to see how Blash handles the goaltending rotation out of the All-Star Break.

@TB on Wednesday; @FLA on Thursday. Those are two pivotal games right out of the gate. Do we start Mrazek in both games? Do we give Howie a game?

If we lose the first game can we really afford not to start Mrazek in Sunrise?

Either way, we will find out a lot about how much confidence they have in Howard. Benching him in both games is a big no-confidence vote. Playing him is a big vote, but Blash would really put himself in line for criticism if it backfires.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Will be VERY curious to see how Blash handles the goaltending rotation out of the All-Star Break.

@TB on Wednesday; @FLA on Thursday. Those are two pivotal games right out of the gate. Do we start Mrazek in both games? Do we give Howie a game?

Either way, we will find out a lot about how much confidence they have in Howard. Benching him in both games is a big no-confidence vote. Playing him is a big vote, but Blash would really put himself in line for criticism if it backfires.

I think Blash has decided Mrazek is our #1. Or rather, he has seen that Mrazek has decided that for us. On back to backs I'm sure Howard still gets a game but Mrazek is our starter now.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Howard should play one of the back to backs because that is just standard protocol on back to backs. Nothing controversial about that.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit

Agree they are very important games. I'd start Petr in both personally.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Faceoffs are very unimportant to the outcome of a hockey game.

Yeah, it's not really all that important who wins clean possession of a puck late in a one goal game deep inside the offensive zone, so that a team doesn't have to regain possession of the puck, entry into the zone, and assume an offensive scoring posture.

Jiminy Christmas on a stick, man.

Faceoffs are HUGELY important in a hockey game. Especially d-zone faceoffs when you're trying to protect a lead, but every faceoff lost is, in effect, a turnover.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Yeah, it's not really all that important who wins clean possession of a puck late in a one goal game deep inside the offensive zone, so that a team doesn't have to regain possession of the puck, entry into the zone, and assume an offensive scoring posture.

Jiminy Christmas on a stick, man.

Faceoffs are HUGELY important in a hockey game. Especially d-zone faceoffs when you're trying to protect a lead, but every faceoff lost is, in effect, a turnover.

Yep. To put it a different way, faceoffs are important to having a good possession game which in turn is important to winning games. So yes, they are very important.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Thought Helm had a very good game. He won a lot of puck battles in the O zone. If that guy could finish he'd really be something

Getting concerned about Nyquist. He seems to just disappear. Tatar is at least visible, usually not for a good reason but Gustav is Ghostav

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Agreed. Mrazek is young and can handle it. Howard's next game should not be until February 12th against Colorado. The Wings have too many important divisional games coming up.

I bet you 100 bench bucks Howard starts one of those games. And I bet another 100 bench bucks he wins, too.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Agree they are very important games. I'd start Petr in both personally.

So the Wings have a 5.2 million dollar backup goalie that doesn't even play during a B2B series?

If he isn't going to start when the Wings are playing B2B, you might as well waive him/buy him out. I'm sure the Wings can find someone else to keep track of faceoffs.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Why not man? The last "great one" we had in net was Sawchuk. And that was in the 50's. We have had a long of enough wait for another truly great netminder.

Hasek?

And as happy as I am with Mrazek's play, it's extremely early to be including him in any sentence with Sawchuk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad