Prospect Info: Mozik

lelo07

Oct 27, 2013
whats up with devils fans not being high on mozik he led albany last year with a +25 +/- and played in the top 2 parings

i think he is underrated and can be a top 4 dmen in the nhl

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
He got a few chances at the dead end of last season, not impressing largely. Granted, our defence was a trainwreck for that period, but he definitely did not look like a top 4 NHL defenceman, bottom pairing at best.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I liked Mozik in his brief time in the NHL, but he turns 24 this year. I think he might be a back-pairing guy but it'll be tough for him to be much more. I don't put a lot of emphasis on his +/- - it suggests he's a good player in the AHL, but it doesn't mean that he is.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He got a few chances at the dead end of last season, not impressing largely. Granted, our defence was a trainwreck for that period, but he definitely did not look like a top 4 NHL defenceman, bottom pairing at best.

He impressed me a hell of a lot more than Warsofsky and that pylon Helgeson.

Which doesn't necessarily mean that he was any good. But I think he deserves more of a chance over Helgeson. He only got 7 games.

But maybe he sucks once we get to see him more?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Like Triumph said, he looks more bottom-pairing quality than anything.

However, I must admit he looked a lot more defensive in both Albany and in NJ then his highlight reel from Czech Republic. I'm curious to see if we get more of an offensive outburst from him if he breaks free of his shell. He definitely has some offensive skill to his game that I don't think we saw last year. We saw a solid, steady defender.

I'm looking at a Kurtis Foster with more competent defense than Foster showed.

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think Mozik looked like a competent guy you can put out there if you have nobody who actually tips the ice in the Devils favor. Mozik doesn't hurt you and, imo, some of the other options do hurt you.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The great thing about Mozik, in my opinion, is during his NHL stint last year, you didn't really notice him all that much. And for defensemen, that is a good thing

He will never be a top pairing defenseman. He will never be a #3 defenseman. But I don't think its out of the question that he can be a decent #4 defenseman in the NHL if the cards fall right. He kind of reminds me of Kevin Klein. I don't think its unrealistic at all to think that very solid bottom pairing defenseman. He has the tools.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
He'll be battling Santini for a spot on the third pair. I think he could be decent and like what he did in Albany, but I'm not holding my breath.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I feel like one of Mozik or Auvitu will make the opening night roster, but really have no clue which one - will be one of the more interesting battles during training camp.

Four spots are locked:

Greene
Severson
Lovejoy
Moore

Merrill's status is still unknown for opening night, leaving 2-3 spots up for grabs between:

Santini
Mozik
Auvitu
Helgeson
Scarlett (would have to have an outstanding camp)
Jacobs (longshot - only 20)

Santini may be the favorite, which may work against Mozik as that would already place 3 right-handed shots in the lineup. That's probably who Mozik has to be most concerned about - good chance he could be in the opening night lineup as the #3 RD if he is able to outperform Santini in camp.

Helgeson requires waivers to be sent to Albany, so he would have a slight edge in any tiebreaker - particularly if it's for the 7th spot, as Mozik may benefit from some additional time down in Albany vs. just sitting (similar to what the Devils did with Kinkaid/Clemmenson a couple of years ago). If they're rolling the same top 6 out, let Helgeson be the one getting scratched.

Mozik has an advantage over Auvitu in that he's already played a year in North America in the Devils' system, however if they stick with the L/R split Auvitu could benefit there...particularly with Merrill questionable.

Tanaka

Aug 15, 2014
My source in Finland says auvitu is a very skilled player who will most likely start the year in the A, but should be a call up shortly after the season starts. said he is a very good and offensively gifted player.

very fast and strong on his skates

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He impressed me a hell of a lot more than Warsofsky and that pylon Helgeson.

Which doesn't necessarily mean that he was any good. But I think he deserves more of a chance over Helgeson. He only got 7 games.

But maybe he sucks once we get to see him more?

I didn't see enough of him to make a decision.

But the fact that those guys got minutes before Mozik says either he is not that good, or there was some poor very poor personel decisions going on.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

But the fact that those guys got minutes before Mozik says either he is not that good, or there was some poor very poor personel decisions going on.

Or maybe that Mozik is playing in his first pro season in North America and the other two have several pro seasons in North America under their belts already?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

It was Mozik's first year in North America whereas the other two already had NHL experience. Mozik also played over both of these players with the Devils in April, which says something.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I like Mozik better than Helgeson. Mozik never really had times where he stood out to me in a bad way, and I don't remember him being trapped in his own zone for exceptionally long periods in a row. I don't think he should be on the second pairing, but as a bottom pairing (or seventh defenseman) guy, he's okay by me, at least as of now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like Mozik better than Helgeson. Mozik never really had times where he stood out to me in a bad way, and I don't remember him being trapped in his own zone for exceptionally long periods in a row. I don't think he should be on the second pairing, but as a bottom pairing (or seventh defenseman) guy, he's okay by me, at least as of now.

My argument is that we already have seen more than enough of that turd Helgeson to come to the conclusion that he is a bum at the NHL level. More than enough data suggests this.

And Warsofsky was not re-signed here, so we won't be seeing any more of him. MAG wasn't re signed either and is closer like 29 anyway.

Mozik should get a longer audition. I'm intrigued by the idea that he could be a decent power play option too. He can at least move the puck and doesn't handle it like it's an explosive device.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hope we don't have to see Helgeson other than a game or two against whatever team claims him off waivers.

Precisely!

And hopefully it's the Rangers of Flyers, then we'll get to play him quite a few times. Though he'd probably also flame out there after 20 games like Urbom did with the Caps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad