Speculation: Moving up in the 2024 draft

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
KH has options, iggs or BPA
Some of those options will be trading contingencies negotiated prior to the draft, should neither Demidov, nor Lindstrom be available at 5. Could give rise to a big splash.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He might see some secondary PP time but i agree.

I do wonder what they try in practice and if MSL believe he can handle it in actual games. They just have not tried it too much or consistently, but there might be a layer to this where they need him playing defensive hockey and PK. Maybe that changes this coming season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Some of those options will be trading contingencies negotiated prior to the draft, should neither Demidov, nor Lindstrom be available at 5. Could give rise to a big splash.

I'm not so sure the Habs actually have Lindstrom and Demidov ranked that high. With the Reinbacher pick, they clearly have a strategy that maybe some of us don't understand.

Some say we passed on Michkov because of contract/attitude issues. This season, it appears according to rumors that we like Demidov. For all we know, the Habs passed on Michkov because we are targeting guys with size and they didn't think Michkov will be a star. Passed on the smaller forward type narrative.

No idea where Lindstrom lands. I just don't see the pedigree like Byfield had. What I see is a strong big boy who dominated Junior and got into some injurie issues. I question his offensive upside at the pro level.

I know know for sure... just pointing out possible alternative angles.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
I dont see KH moving up to 2-3 just to get a player they might get at 5 anyway. Just let it play out. For all we know, we might end up with a choice between Demidov and Lindstrom at 5 if the draft goes something like this:

Celebrini
Levshunov
Dickinson
Silayev

Lets say we draft Demidov, and UTA and OTT aim for their needs (D) and draft Buium and Parekh respectively (realistic outcome imo), then with Lindstrom available at 8, this is where I would try everything to move up.

Either trade a D for an extra top 15 pick (likely Matheson), then package it with WPGs to move up to 8 OR include our first next year (or CGYs first if we look to move up to 9 and trade with CGY who might want their pick back).

KH has a ton of options imo.

I dont see KH moving up to 2-3 just to get a player they might get at 5 anyway. Just let it play out. For all we know, we might end up with a choice between Demidov and Lindstrom at 5 if the draft goes something like this:

Celebrini
Levshunov
Dickinson
Silayev

Lets say we draft Demidov, and UTA and OTT aim for their needs (D) and draft Buium and Parekh respectively (realistic outcome imo), then with Lindstrom available at 8, this is where I would try everything to move up.

Either trade a D for an extra top 15 pick (likely Matheson), then package it with WPGs to move up to 8 OR include our first next year (or CGYs first if we look to move up to 9 and trade with CGY who might want their pick back).

KH has a ton of options imo.
Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Demidov
Farrell-Lindstrom-Roy

Is a legit top 9 with 3 solid lines. Likely missing an extra top 6 winger to play with Lidnstrom and Roy, but other than that

Reactions: Jabba11

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I'm not sold on Chicago going 100% for Demidov.

This is my mock draft

1715274092604.png

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Did Columbus say that they want a F, preferably a C ? They didn't say it clearly, like Habs didn't yell to the World that Habs will pick a F.
Who on Earth doesnt think Habs are drafting a forward?

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
I don't think we'll need to move up to select Demidov. If anything, maybe we'll have to move up to 4 to ensure no one else does.

The Blackhawks don't have a single top 4 RHD prospect and they'll have the chance to draft one who can partner Korchinski.

The Ducks added Gauthier to an already very good young group of forwards, trading away Drysdale in the process - I'd be very surprised if they don't pick a Dman.

Columbus have been picking at or near the top of the draft for the past few seasons and have consistently selected talented forwards. They very well may pick another forward, but it's just difficult for me to see that happen with who they have in the system already.
Columbus? Last 3 drafts had 6 firsts. Picked 3f and 3d.

Recently added Zboril, Provorov, Severson.

They could very well go forward.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Columbus? Last 3 drafts had 6 firsts. Picked 3f and 3d.

Recently added Zboril, Provorov, Severson.

They could very well go forward.
odds are they will pick a forward and Lindstrom ahead of other options

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not so sure the Habs actually have Lindstrom and Demidov ranked that high. With the Reinbacher pick, they clearly have a strategy that maybe some of us don't understand.

Some say we passed on Michkov because of contract/attitude issues. This season, it appears according to rumors that we like Demidov. For all we know, the Habs passed on Michkov because we are targeting guys with size and they didn't think Michkov will be a star. Passed on the smaller forward type narrative.

No idea where Lindstrom lands. I just don't see the pedigree like Byfield had. What I see is a strong big boy who dominated Junior and got into some injurie issues. I question his offensive upside at the pro level.

I know know for sure... just pointing out possible alternative angles.
I think we need to stop putting so much value in pre-draft pedigree....because once you're drafted, it doesn't mean a damn thing.

Plenty of players who had amazing pedigrees pre-draft, were never able to sustain or repeat that. That was the pinnacle for them, while many player who didn' have the pedigree pre-draft, have gone one to have great careers.

I mean, I don't ever even recall people talking about Quinton Byfield's pedigree before being drafted, so even the link between him and Lindstrom is odd to say the least.

The appeal with Cayden Lindstrom is less about what he's done so far, and way more about how much room he has to progress. A lot like Slafkovsky, the canvas is so vast.

I'm sure the appeal with him is his projectability and so far with this management, that seems to be a point of emphasis, you can see it with both of their 1st round picks so far.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I hope this is true, but I dont see it.

Timmins is there. Silayev himself said he felt cbj had the most interest in him with Utah. Wheeler who mocked Lindstrom to CBJ yesterday has them taking Silayev today after talking to scouts and people he knows.

It's not guaranteed and it's early, but there's a lot of smoke that way so far.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Reinbacher was simply the product of none of the 4 teams picking ahead of the Habs in 2023, being unwilling to part with their pick.

It’s been well documented that Hughes tried every which way to nab one of the 4 centers that were taken in order — Reinbacher was simply their BPA at the 5th drafting slot, who also helped shore up a position of need.

The Habs are looking for offence and Hughes has not shied away from saying that they’d prefer a forward. Since Demidov and Lindstrom are ranked top 5 by most accounts, it’s just an educated guess.

Of course you, I or anyone for that matter is not sure about how the Habs value those players — it’s not info that is typically leaked to a fan forum. Guess away, we all are, anyway.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Timmins is there. Silayev himself said he felt cbj had the most interest in him with Utah. Wheeler who mocked Lindstrom to CBJ yesterday has them taking Silayev today after talking to scouts and people he knows.

I would be happy if they did, dont get me wrong.

HespelerGreenFlash

Dec 20, 2007
I think he moves up if and only if there is no deal elsewhere for a top 6 kid, via a trade........if he can pull off a trade for a good young player ie Zegras type of player, then he stays at 5

Seems most want Cayden Lindstrom who should be there, or Ty Iginla
Im torn between Catton, Sennecke and Iginla

Reactions: BLONG7

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Silayev is a unicorn but wondering if the following may cause him to slip past CBJ, assuming his contractual status is accurate:

Unfortunately, he wouldn't be able to come to North America until 2026 due to his KHL contract. That would put him at 20 years old, having at least three years of professional experience before stepping foot on an NHL rink.

Some NHL teams don’t like the idea of not having a more immediate influence in such a highly touted player’s development and may find the wait too long. That’s not an issue CBJ would have with other potential draftees within the reasonably same tier.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Silayev is a unicorn but wondering if the following may cause him to slip past CBJ, assuming his contractual status is accurate:

Unfortunately, he wouldn't be able to come to North America until 2026 due to his KHL contract. That would put him at 20 years old, having at least three years of professional experience before stepping foot on an NHL rink.

Some NHL teams don’t like the idea of not having a more immediate influence in such a highly touted player’s development and may find the wait too long. That’s not an issue CBJ would have with other potential draftees within the reasonably same tier.

We will find out but since he's a 6'7 d man and he's already getting KHL minutes for Larionov it shouldn't be an issue like it was for Michkov

Reactions: Runner77

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Bedard is going to have a stroke if he has Foligno on his line another year. They will get him Demidov
He's going to have Foligno on his line another year because Demidov has another year to his contract in Russia. And even then, none of the kids in this year draft should start in the NHL next season. Even Celebrini/his dad have expressed the opinion of playing another year in the NCAA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad