OT: Moving to Vancouver

TTOMO

Aug 30, 2011
Port Moody, BC
That's the sort of hyperbole that just adds to the confusion. DTES is absolutely nothing like a 3rd world slum.

Yup. Look at places like South Bronx in the 80's or the worst parts of Detroit, Camden, or Flint, and try telling me the DTES is a 3rd world slum.

I've walked through there several times, and you just have to be smart and mind your own business.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
You'll probably like our transit system once you start using it...... But the more you use it, the more frustrated and pissed off you'll get. They're either always late, always early, or they come together in packs of two/three buses..

Then again, it's a lot better than Toronto's transit system.. Especially when you consider the viva Blue bus and GO bus.. It's a lot better.

I hope you're joking. TTC is way better than Coast Mountain. GO is the same idea as West Coast Express but infinitely better - not sure what your point is there. TTC drivers are better, and even with overcrowding almost every bus route they have is better and runs later hours. I lived all over T-Dot without a car, even for hockey. In comparison I find myself driving here all the time.

The fact that we don't have a single version of the Vomit Comit kills us - at least in Toronto you can get to at the edge of the suburbs on 24 hour bus routes and avoid a little bit of cab fare. Taxi fares in this city are highway robbery.

Anyways I'm not even from Toronto (just went there for school) but I don't think the OP should consider this an amazing place for transit by any means. The only perk here IMO is that there is no equivalent of Toronto rush hour, and you there's also no situations like missing three straight streetcars on Spadina because they're all full.

OP - try to be right on the Skytrain Line if you can, and/or one of the few nightbus routes like N35.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Also, I'm not a music guy (I just go to concerts lol) but I know a bunch of people in bands so feel free to PM me some questions and I can relay them.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
I've been to Whalley a few times in the past couple of years for ball.

Nice town, isn't much but it's simple and clean.

It is being gentrified as well. There are some very nice condos and apartment buildings going up around Surrey central. It will continue to grow and become a very nice place to live. I find many Vancouverites still think Surrey is the same it was in the 90s and early 2000s. There is a lot of ignorance about it.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
DTES is an absolute disaster. Easily on par with ****** 3rd world countries.

But its not really unsafe. Having said that a single female should not be walking through some of the side streets in that area at night.

No it's not. The area is already changing quite a bit.

In the next decade, the next area to be gentrified/developed will be Gastown Hastings/Terminal as downtown sprawls eastwards. Homeless people will probably move east towards Sunshine-Hastings.

stickside

Oct 6, 2007
threads like this make me miss vancity

i lived in north van for 15 years. oddly enough, i live in carolina now. not a canes fan tho.

i loved north van. golf, skiing, walks on the seawall into west van, kayaking in deep cove, unreal nature hikes. as others have mentioned, it's not a happening place for the under 30 set, but it suited me just fine. depends on what your thing is.

enjoy vancouver.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I've lived in the west end now for 12 years and I love it. For my 1-bedroom I'm paying about $1100 and have a fantastic view. I'm in an older building, but I have everything right near where I live. Safeway, lots of restaurants, liquor store, sea wall... all within a couple blocks of where I live.

Having said that, my landlord told me that if I ever moved out they'd be bumping the price of my apartment up to over $1400. However, if you don't need the view, or to live on the top floor, $1200 certainly sounds reasonable in many of these buildins in the west end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad