Moving to the central division

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
First I hope everyone in Arizona is safe and healthy. It's a mess here in New York. I spent a week in Tucson 3 years ago . Loved the dry heat although could not go in the pool between 1 and 4 each day due to that thing called the sun.

How does it affect your fans with the division swap once Seattle starts playing ? I could only guess so I am sending it to the people that matter . Thanks ( Let's go Islanders )

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
It’s going to be a great financial move for the team. Stadium doesn’t fill up nicely when LA, Anaheim, San Jose come by. Oilers fans are starting to come out more, but Calgary and Vancouver are meh. Vegas fills up our stadium nicely.

Chicago, St Louis, Minnesota, Winnipeg will fill up our stadiums more often than not. Dallas, Colorado and Nashville probably won’t as much as the other three. If Colorado remains a competitor you’ll see a lot more Avs jerseys in the building.

Travel is going to suck for the team playing in the central. But as fans, I wouldn’t be shocked to see an uptick in average attendance due to away “fans”.

Stay safe out in NY. We’re all thinking of you guys.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Seems like better opportunities to sell tickets that cannot be used. Think more road games will air earlier as a result.

My wallet still holds an unpunched NYNJ Transit ticket I've had for over a year. The intent was a trip from Newark to Nassau Colliseum in '19-'20.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I'm not sure how much of an uptick in attendance from Central division teams will be seen. It's possible that with more chances for those fans to see their team in town, that they'll just spread out across the extra divisional games. It's probably true it'll come out ahead, but still the argument the NHL made sounded quite like an after the fact justification if you ask me. It's questionable that the team really wanted to move divisions, but rather that the Coyotes are doing it for the best interests of the league. The new owner Meruelo came in after it was determined if I'm remembering correctly, so it was probably easier to get that through before he could object.

I also think the rivalry between the Coyotes and Knights was spurned by this. It's going to go from 2 or 3 home games a season against them to 1 or 2 depending on the season. I know rivalries can develop from playoff matchups, but geography is certainly another natural fit and both teams are probably going to be decent the next few seasons, so that could have worked out nicely. Currently, we have at best a rivalry with the Kings, but they have other closer rivals and we just met once in the playoffs of late and it was a while ago now. Anyway, more so with Las Vegas. They could have hyped up the Duel in the Desert a la the University of Arizona and the teaching school up north. Perhaps something along the lines of Sonoran > Mojave.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It’s going to be a great financial move for the team. Stadium doesn’t fill up nicely when LA, Anaheim, San Jose come by. Oilers fans are starting to come out more, but Calgary and Vancouver are meh. Vegas fills up our stadium nicely.

Chicago, St Louis, Minnesota, Winnipeg will fill up our stadiums more often than not. Dallas, Colorado and Nashville probably won’t as much as the other three. If Colorado remains a competitor you’ll see a lot more Avs jerseys in the building.

Travel is going to suck for the team playing in the central. But as fans, I wouldn’t be shocked to see an uptick in average attendance due to away “fans”.

Stay safe out in NY. We’re all thinking of you guys.
If we win, fans will come. I don't care what division we are in, who we play, it's ALL about winning.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Right, but if AZ stays the course and continues to put up stinker seasons, playing those midwest teams certainly help attendance and profit margins.
If we continue to put up stinker seasons, it won't matter who we play, attendance will suffer and there will be NO profit. We just can't get a break. We have a loser coach, and maybe a loser GM who believes in a loser coach, and a new owner who believes in both. We are a cap team in cap hell, not one first line player, (not counting Hall) weak prospect list etc. I have supported this team thru thick and thin, but at my age I'm starting to not give a s--- anymore. I use to laugh at my parents, aunts and uncle's etc. bitch and moan about the exact same things I do now. :laugh:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Colorado is poised to be a long-term force that is just scratching the surface today but overall I think the new division is full of teams who are on the decline / have peaked. Nashville isn’t as scary as 3 years ago. Same with Winnipeg. Of course a draft lottery can screw things up for us very quickly.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Colorado is poised to be a long-term force that is just scratching the surface today but overall I think the new division is full of teams who are on the decline / have peaked. Nashville isn’t as scary as 3 years ago. Same with Winnipeg. Of course a draft lottery can screw things up for us very quickly.
Everyone thought Sakic was an idiot a few years ago, but now look. Just like we all thought Chayka was a genius, and now look at us.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Everyone thought Sakic was an idiot a few years ago, but now look. Just like we all thought Chayka was a genius, and now look at us.
I’m not ready to write off Chayka yet. Clock is ticking though.

sakic’s return in that Turris deal is going to be a 30/30 special some day.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’m not ready to write off Chayka yet. Clock is ticking though.

sakic’s return in that Turris deal is going to be a 30/30 special some day.
I don't have a list of all trades that Chayka has done, but are they a net positive or a negative.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't have a list of all trades that Chayka has done, but are they a net positive or a negative.
I’m in the net positive camp on trades.

I think the final verdict on Chayka is going to come on the development of Hayton and Soderstrom. If they don’t develop into legitimate star players (keep in mind they bragged they had Soderstrom at 3) then this whole experiment ends IMO. We need to see signs next season I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIG

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
So about 40 trades in 4 1/2 years. Of course some were only for the farm, but that is a crazy amount of trades.

Yep, we are all onboard Chayka's rollercoaster of roster management. I'm hoping we get off thinking it was a fun ride, rather than missing some limbs. I want to see it through, he has churned both the farm, prospect pools and NHL roster quite a bit. There aren't many players who aren't his guys anymore. I'm intrigued and excited for the later round draft picks, maybe more so than the 1st and 2nd round picks he has made. I want at least two more years to see his vision through. This was the first year where I think his decision making was a net negative (should have fired the coaching staff, went forward with RT's recommendation to get Kessel, traded futures away for Hall and didn't make moves around the deadline to continue to improve the roster)

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad