OT: Moving to Ottawa

kule41

Mar 26, 2008
Hey guys,

*If this thread is in the wrong area feel free to move it*

I will be moving to Ottawa by the end of this month until the end of the year. Never been to Ottawa before. I am going to be working (Co-op) near Parliament Hill, I am currently looking for a place. I am a young student so I was thinking of finding a place in Sandy Hill, but as you can imagine its hard to find a place especially since most students are subletting for only summer. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on other areas to live or even areas to stay away from. I would also love suggestions on places to visit and places where I can meet new people:laugh:

Any help would be appreciated (ignore avatar and fav team :laugh:)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We try to keep all the leafs fans tucked away in a specific corner of vanier...

But seriously, you might consider just across the bridge in Gatineau. Taxes suck, but rent is usually cheaper. Do the math and see if it makes sense.

edit:

I should point out I lived in Vanier for about 2 year, two different appartments, and rent was good, I was walking distance from downtown (30 mins to Rideau center, probably about 40 mins to Parliment hill). You can find nice places in Vanier but you need to do your due diligence with checking out the neighbourhood and company you rent from.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Hey guys,

*If this thread is in the wrong area feel free to move it*

I will be moving to Ottawa by the end of this month until the end of the year. Never been to Ottawa before. I am going to be working (Co-op) near Parliament Hill, I am currently looking for a place. I am a young student so I was thinking of finding a place in Sandy Hill, but as you can imagine its hard to find a place especially since most students are subletting for only summer. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on other areas to live or even areas to stay away from. I would also love suggestions on places to visit and places where I can meet new people:laugh:

Any help would be appreciated (ignore avatar and fav team :laugh:)

Whats your price range for housing?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
We try to keep all the leafs fans tucked away in a specific corner of vanier...

But seriously, you might consider just across the bridge in Gatineau. Taxes suck, but rent is usually cheaper. Do the math and see if it makes sense.

edit:

I should point out I lived in Vanier for about 2 year, two different appartments, and rent was good, I was walking distance from downtown (30 mins to Rideau center, probably about 40 mins to Parliment hill). You can find nice places in Vanier but you need to do your due diligence with checking out the neighbourhood and company you rent from.

I would only consider this if I had a car.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
STO not an option? Car definately opens things up though.

Oh it definitely is an option, but I guess I'd rather pay some extra rent than be inconvenienced to that extent. I spend a lot of time at my buddy's place on the Plateau in Gatineau, and he has no car. It just seems like a big pain for the amount of money he saves. Maybe if you get a place closer to the bridges though..

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Oh it definitely is an option, but I guess I'd rather pay some extra rent than be inconvenienced to that extent. I spend a lot of time at my buddy's place on the Plateau in Gatineau, and he has no car. It just seems like a big pain for the amount of money he saves. Maybe if you get a place closer to the bridges though..

Fair enough. If you bike a lot, that would probably work too (maybe not so much in winter though).

kule41

Mar 26, 2008

Yea, I don't have a car. So I am willing to pay more to be closer.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yea, I don't have a car. So I am willing to pay more to be closer.

If you're going to do it without a car, Sandy hill, and Vanier are both walking distance from down town. Vanier is a little east of Sandy hill, I was paying about 700 a month in Vanier for a 2 bedroom walk-up but that was about 6 years ago.

There's also some appartments on Lees ave (170, 180 and 190 Lees) that are a great location (I think Lees might be considered part of sandy hill, not sure); very close to Ottawa U, so there's a lot of students there. I haven't been in the buildings in years, but 170 used to be a little sketchy.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If you want to be near Parliament, there are a lot of apartments in the streets that intersect with Elgin/Metcalfe/O'Connor. Not that there are many apartments on the main streets, but I'd say avoid places directly on Elgin/Metcalfe/O'Connor/Bank as those are some times busier streets with either traffic or pedestrians. But all the intersecting streets are fairly quiet.

Avoid the market. It's nice during the day in most parts, but can be sketchy at night.

I'm a bit out of touch with apartment prices, but I'd imagine at 1200 you should be able to find a bachelor. Outside of the winter, Parliament is probably a 5-15 minute walk from anywhere there.

Keep in mind that a bus pass is $100 bucks, so if renting closer to work is more expensive, it's some times still worth it due to the time/money saved on transportation.

Ttracer*

1200 doesn't buy much in this city. You will be living in a dump if you choose downtown

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
ok simply put don't move to vanier, Caldwell, or Bayshore.

To be helpful Basline, merivale, woodroffe, are ok price wise and one buss to the rideau center which is only 2 or 3 blocks from the hill.

This area is usually cheaper as well compared to downtown, there's a college at baseline and woodroffe as well as a main bus terminal to accomadate a lot of college students. a lot of students are leaving so places might open up around now.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
1200 doesn't buy much in this city. You will be living in a dump if you choose downtown

You can get an alright place downtown for 1200 that won't be a dump and isn't in a high rise. You just won't get a ton of room.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Damn, rent seems to have skyrocketed since I was a student.

Yeah. The apartments across from the McDonald's/SAQ Depot in Gatineau were like 1100 when I lived there... 2 bedroom, 1 bath, in suite laundry and parking.
Also I think an entire 4 bedroom house in Gloucester was less than 1600 (remember at one point my share of rent being less than 300 cause we converted the basement to a bedroom too :laugh:)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yeah. The apartments across from the McDonald's/SAQ Depot in Gatineau were like 1100 when I lived there... 2 bedroom, 1 bath, in suite laundry and parking.
Also I think an entire 4 bedroom house in Gloucester was less than 1600 (remember at one point my share of rent being less than 300 cause we converted the basement to a bedroom too :laugh:)

When I went to Carleton, we had a 3-bedroom apt on Somerset (Chinatown) and it was $1000/month. This was like... 2002? After that, we had a 3-bed house on Lebreton for about $1400 until 2004.

No idea what rent prices are like in centertown these days...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
When I went to Carleton, we had a 3-bedroom apt on Somerset (Chinatown) and it was $1000/month. This was like... 2002? After that, we had a 3-bed house on Lebreton for about $1400 until 2004.

No idea what rent prices are like in centertown these days...

I have no idea how much prices are these days either. I was renting a 3 bedroom appt on Lees ave for 930 a month. I met a guy that moved in a couple months after I did and he was paying 1400 for the same thing just 4 floors above me. This was back in 2006 though.

Ttracer*

Ottawa is Canada's #1 city for people moving in/out. Good thing is there's always something available, bad news is places are small n expensive as heck.

You couldn't pay me to live downtown, way too expensive and too many people for someplace so ugly.

kule41

Mar 26, 2008

I don't mind living in a small place. All i need is a kitchen, bathroom and a bed :laugh:

Thank you all for your suggestions, I am keeping your comments in mind when looking. You guys rock (for senator fans :sarcasm:).

Edit: What would you guys say about the area around Chapel and Redeau St.?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
You can try looking at centretown. Lots of apartments, but it won't be cheap. If you can find a place that is walking distance to work, that's best because the price of a bus pass in this city is ridiculous. Good thing about living downtown or nearby is that you'll be close to work, grocery stores, restaurants, banks, coffee shops etc.

Try looking at padmapper.com for apartments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad