OT: Moving my son to Philly today

7:11 of OT

Not my trophies
Oct 26, 2002
Eastern Suffolk, NY
Visit site
Given how slow things are around this time of year for the Isles and the NHL in general, I figured I would give a quick update on my son's continuing hockey progress. Based on last year with the Long Island Junior Royals, after a year at Northwood Prep in Lake Placid, my son has signed to play for the Philadelphia Revolution Junior A team in the Eastern Hockey League. He is already getting NAHL contacts and had a DIII offer right out of HS this year, but he is going to play out his Junior eligibility for 2 more years in hopes of going DI. His new team just brought in Keith Primeau as the Director of Hockey Ops from Team Comcast, so I may have to adopt the Flyers as my second team!

Luckily, I have an office in Newtown Square, PA, about 40 mins from my son's apartment, so I will likely be making a bunch of trips to Philly this year.

Just felt like sharing before I start the 3 hour drive down - can't help it as a proud parent and former coach!

scott99

May 13, 2005
Given how slow things are around this time of year for the Isles and the NHL in general, I figured I would give a quick update on my son's continuing hockey progress. Based on last year with the Long Island Junior Royals, after a year at Northwood Prep in Lake Placid, my son has signed to play for the Philadelphia Revolution Junior A team in the Eastern Hockey League. He is already getting NAHL contacts and had a DIII offer right out of HS this year, but he is going to play out his Junior eligibility for 2 more years in hopes of going DI. His new team just brought in Keith Primeau as the Director of Hockey Ops from Team Comcast, so I may have to adopt the Flyers as my second team!

Luckily, I have an office in Newtown Square, PA, about 40 mins from my son's apartment, so I will likely be making a bunch of trips to Philly this year.

Just felt like sharing before I start the 3 hour drive down - can't help it as a proud parent and former coach!

Congrats ! Just don't tell your Philly friends your nickname here at the Islander's messageboard is 7:11 of OT.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Congrats ! Just don't tell your Philly friends your nickname here at the Islander's messageboard is 7:11 of OT.

Ha. The very first thing they say to a revealed Islanders fan...."it was offside". Always :D

michaelrc51

Jul 6, 2011
Ha. The very first thing they say to a revealed Islanders fan...."it was offside". Always :D

LOL!

Congrats to you and your son!

You'll outgrow that soft spot in your heart for the flyers after you wear some Isles paraphernalia to a few flyers games......
Every time I go it seems like I can count the Islanders fans on one hand and Flyers fans are very quick to let you know you are in their house. If the tickets weren't free I wouldn't be there.

StillAnIslesFan

Feb 26, 2010
Congrats man, thats super awesome. Philly is a good town, with serious spirit for sports. Great hockey programs around here too (Mike Richter and Bobby Ryan are from the area).

I have lived in Philly for over 10 years now and I can say this about Flyers fans: The ones who know anything about hockey are cool and respect the Isles from back in the day, but the other fans are so bad, it's laughable.

Also, the most heard line I hear once they see I am an Isles fan, "At least you don't like the Rangers!" "It was offsides" is 2nd, but that's mostly the older cats.

scott99

May 13, 2005
BTW, I lived in Philly for 6 months, and found that they have awesome food there. And they sell cheesesteaks EVERYWHERE ! I had a menu from a Chinese restaurant, and even they sold cheesesteaks lol. They even make chicken cheesesteaks, which makes no sense to me (word wise, food wise it was delicious). Found an AMAZING pizzeria, so delicious, and the slices were gigantic (one slice was a meal). It's called Lazaro's Pizza. If your son loves pizza he will love this place.

http://www.lazarospizzaandgrill.com/philadelphia-pa-pizza-menu.htm

Not my trophies
Oct 26, 2002
Eastern Suffolk, NY
Visit site
Thanks for the well wishes and the pizza recommendation! I actually lived in Bucks county for 5 years, about 15 mins from where my son is now, so it's cool to still have friends there to help him out if needed. The Revolution organization has a great reputation so I am pretty excited for him. He started training camp yesterday and he can't wait for the first exhibition tournament this weekend!

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
where in philly is he living? if he is near the mayanunk area, make sure you goto dalessandros for a steak! so good!

and congrats!

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia

Congrats! I skate all the time at the rink in Warwick that the Revolution play out of.

BTW, I lived in Philly for 6 months, and found that they have awesome food there. And they sell cheesesteaks EVERYWHERE ! I had a menu from a Chinese restaurant, and even they sold cheesesteaks lol. They even make chicken cheesesteaks, which makes no sense to me (word wise, food wise it was delicious). Found an AMAZING pizzeria, so delicious, and the slices were gigantic (one slice was a meal). It's called Lazaro's Pizza. If your son loves pizza he will love this place.

http://www.lazarospizzaandgrill.com/philadelphia-pa-pizza-menu.htm

And once you've lived here for a few years you'll figure out that cheesesteaks are just the crap we feed to tourists and n00bs. ;) There are far better eats in this fine city.

Last edited:

StillAnIslesFan

Feb 26, 2010
Since I see Pizza and Cheesesteak talk, I'll throw my opinion in:
Best Pizza (both are close to NY style):
1. Pizzeria Beddia (and not just cause he's a close friend). Look the place up online.
2. Taconelli's

Chessesteaks:
1. Chink's, Now called Joe's, don't ask...
2. John Roast Pork

There are tons of great fine dining places too: High St on Market, Russet, Farm & Fisherman, Zeppoli (Collinsgwood NJ), to name a few.
Plus there are tons of great gastropubs as we call them, which is a bar with a good beer list and killer food.

Not my trophies
Oct 26, 2002
Eastern Suffolk, NY
Visit site
where in philly is he living? if he is near the mayanunk area, make sure you goto dalessandros for a steak! so good!

and congrats!
He is living in Warrington and playing out of the Rink at Warwick.

Right now his tastes are limited to Chipotle and Panera! I don't want to know which pubs he likes since he is only 18 - ignorance is bliss in this case!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad