Moving Hard Cap??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Probably another Pejorative Slured idea, but here it is anyways.

The owners get a hard cap, but it depends on the revenue and profit from the last year. So if the NHL encounters a really bad year (which has happened quite often), the hard cap moves down to for example, $35mill for the next year.

The NHL has a spectacular year, and profits exceed a certain amount, the hard cap gets moved up to $50mill for the next year.

It all depends on numbers, what is considered a bad year and a good one, which can be worked out. But would this work at all? Is this still considered "cost certainty"?

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
So, how would teams deal with their payroll if the cap changes one year from $50 mil to $35 mil?

In other words, let's say the Leafs payroll is at $49 mil and now are forced to trim it down to $35 mil for the next season? What if all their players are under contract into at least the following season? Things would get way too chaotic if that happened. :shakehead

I can't see this working if the NHL has guaranteed contracts. They would have to have non-guaranteed contracts, and you know very well that the players will never go for that. :shakehead

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
jratelle19 said:
So, how would teams deal with their payroll if the cap changes one year from $50 mil to $35 mil?

In other words, let's say the Leafs payroll is at $49 mil and now are forced to trim it down to $35 mil for the next season? What if all their players are under contract into at least the following season? Things would get way too chaotic if that happened. :shakehead

I can't see this working if the NHL has guaranteed contracts. They would have to have non-guaranteed contracts, and you know very well that the players will never go for that. :shakehead

Good point. I dont know how the subject of previous contracts eluded me.. but it did. Now I feel :dunce:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Scugs said:
Probably another Pejorative Slured idea, but here it is anyways.

The owners get a hard cap, but it depends on the revenue and profit from the last year. So if the NHL encounters a really bad year (which has happened quite often), the hard cap moves down to for example, $35mill for the next year.

The NHL has a spectacular year, and profits exceed a certain amount, the hard cap gets moved up to $50mill for the next year.

It all depends on numbers, what is considered a bad year and a good one, which can be worked out. But would this work at all? Is this still considered "cost certainty"?

This has been the NHL's plan all along.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
jratelle19 said:

The cap would never change by that much in one year. At most it will go up or down by $2/3 million a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad