moving a team to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmchahn

Apr 13, 2007
I found this website and it compared the NHL's Attendance vs. the NBA's.
It got me thinking that is the NHL is better than the NBA in terms of Attendance because the NBA has most of it's teams in the U.S; where it is strong and the NHL is strong in Canada and it only has 6 teams here. What if the NHL were to move a couple teams to Canada, will it make a difference.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2259688

If attendance alone were enough to support an NHL franchise, it would be a no brainer to add more teams in Canada. Unfortunately, capacity crowds isn't enough to support a franchise these days. Teams need corporate sponsorship and t.v. money to make a go of it. That's why Bettman and the governors are reluctant to move a team to Canada. They want to move or expand to other U.S. cities. The thought is more franchises in the U.S. means increased t.v. ratings and more t.v. money (although they're finding that's not necessarily the case). Also the American cities looking for franchises probably have a larger corporate base to work with than Winnipeg, Hamilton or Quebec City. Don't get me wrong: I'd love to see NHL in those cities. But the economics, the way they are today, will make it difficult for them to sustain a team for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad