Movies: Movies where you've cheered for the villain

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
You know that they're gonna lose in the end, but I'm sure we've all done this once or twice. I can think of a few examples. My #1 would probably be Hector and Paris (Eric Bana and Orlando Bloom) from Troy, though I am not really 100% sure if you can even call them 'villains' in the traditional sense.

I also kinda rooted for Gmork in Neverending Story. What he did does and did make perfect sense.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I kind of liked Durant in Darkman.

1218850E4A9A252A25B0A1

Also, it was hard not to root for any of Alan Rickman's villains.

latest

"I must have missed 60 minutes..." I was definitely rooting for them against the SWAT team, and I think you're supposed to.

nottingham-the-sheriff-of-nottingham-25662639-430-460.jpg

"This is good steel..." Kevin Costner was woefully miscast in this one.

original.jpg

"Potter...." I guess he turns out to not be so bad.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I wanted the world to end in Tomorrowland. I hated Britt Robertson's character.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
yvcunwgbrjdnutvwdut1.jpg

I don't know why but his character was gripping and really made you want to see him come out on top at the end.......sorry batman lol.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
If by villain you mean antagonist (So not counting movies like The Godfather), Kick Ass always comes to mind for me.

I don't cheer for them based on how much I like them, but rather how much I hate the protagonists.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park.

I actually remember an interview with Spielberg where he said the scene near the end of the first movie where the T-Rex comes in and takes out all the raptors was added to the movie late because he realized the T-Rex had to be the hero of the movie.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
No country for old men, Anton Chigurh. I mean I was rooting for Llewelyn too, but damn he was a badass assassin. Although, didn't really care for him killing the dudes wife at the end. But it fits his character in the book/film and well the promise he made to Llewelyn.
Also, sort of rooted for the Joker in the Dark Knight.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I couldn't think of any, so I started thinking about heroes that I've cheered for and I realized that I don't really cheer for heroes, either. I just watch movies and see what happens. Perhaps I'm too cynical and can't set aside that the outcome was scripted long ago and that, the vast majority of the time, the hero is going to win and the villain is going to lose. Considering that, cheering for one or the other on seems kind of pointless. I probably did it when I was younger, such as for characters like Indiana Jones and Luke Skywalker, but is it only because I've changed and gotten a lot more cynical or could it also be partly that hero/villain movies have gotten dumber and more obsessed with CGI and don't have the well-written, audience-likable/connectable characters that they used to? I don't know.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Darth Vader. I just about jumped out of my seat cheering when he was slaughtering Rebels in Rogue One.

Okay, that's creepy timing.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad