Speculation: Moves you would make (trades, RFA, UFA)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well fans there's a lot Yzerman can do at this juncture of the off-season. I personally am pleased with the direction of the franchise and there is a lot we can do to improve ourselves. This thread is about what you would like to see him do. I know there's an offseason discussion thread but I think it tends to get a little disorganized at times.

Re-sign all RFA's except for Lindback unless we can trade him to someone who needs a goalie.

Release or buy out Ryan Malone
Do not re-sign Brian Lee
Do not re-sign Sami Salo

Qualify Ryan Callahan with a 4 year $24 million deal. If he doesn't take it then take a hike to Buffalo. I'm high on Callahan too but a player who's cracked 45 points TWICE in his career IS NOT worth more than $6 million. It's the two-way play you're being paid for here. If he doesn't take it then let him walk and grow another top 6 player through the system or trade for Kesler. I love the guy but I'm not going to risk paying him any longer than 4 years either. Prove you can play well past your early 30's before we continue paying you $6 million.

If we trade for Kesler. Offer Vancouver Connolly, Erne or Panik and a 2014 1st rounder and be done with it.

If they don't play ball then we have Killorn grow into the player Callahan is. People have suggested parting ways with Killorn and Kucherov in terms of prospects being dealt and Kucherov is raw but will get better I've said it a million times, it's his ruthlessness that I love. Killorn I see as a fantastic 2 way forward who scores in big moments. As for Panik ******* I love this kid but I'd part with him before Killorn and I've seen more from Kucherov that I like than I have from Panik.

Sign UFA

Steve Downie -I'll admit it. I have a soft spot for the guy. He has a deserved reputation as a punk but he is good enough defensively to be an upgrade for us at the 2nd and 3rd lines. I know he doesn't score much but I loved his chemistry with Stamkos and between himself and Gudas, no one will take any shots at our stars. I really do believe we can bring out the best in him. He may not crack 20 goals, but neither will Purcell at this rate. Put him on the 3rd and 2nd line and watch the fireworks.

Anton Stralman- He's proven to be very steady and I think having him will help us out. He's still young and can log big minutes. Is he a #1? Ehhh I don't know. He's done well enough in the Ranger playoff games that I've seen to get my attention. But it can't be any worse than having Salo around anymore. I know it's a gamble making HIM our top line guy with Hedman but I think he's worth it. People have mentioned Fayne and between him and Stralman there's no one else I'm really pointing my finger at saying "oooh I want him!"

Trades

Draft pick to Minnesota Wild for Keith Ballard if they're willing to do the deal. Low risk, potentially high reward move in my eyes. He doesn't log huge minutes with the Wild but he blocks shots and he hits. And given the fact his brain may be scrambled from concussions, they may be willing to part with him. He plays a physical game above all and I think that's what we need. I don't mean to do this to rob Gudas Aulie and Sustr of valuable playing time either. But considering the fact Cooper rolls with 7 defensemen and we had Barberio in there so much, send him to Syracuse. No offense but having a guy out there just to have a PP QB seems pointless. I'd rather just have someone like Ballard out there so we can have a more physical back end. He only has a year on his contract and it's cheap so I think we can afford to hit or miss here. Having him with one of the young guys at the bottom parings ought to help them in my opinion.

Teddy Purcell to the Nashville Predators for some of their defensive prospects and a draft pick. I don't know who in particular, but they always produce such great, young defensemen. And yes this is a personal vendetta. He's had enough chances and I'm perfectly fine with trading him for prospects. Jonathan Drouin will likely render Purcell useless in the near future.

What would you all like to see to happen?

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Don't we already have an off season thread?

Why must everyone suggest we not resign Lee, the guys been injured for over a year and a half it's obvious we aren't resigning him and he may never play again.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Don't we already have an off season thread?

Why must everyone suggest we not resign Lee, the guys been injured for over a year and a half it's obvious we aren't resigning him and he may never play again.

A lot of the other threads have a lot of great talk in them but they get lost in the mix. Don't you think discussing a Patrick Marleau trade deserves it's own spot if it were possible? And I just wanted a place for our own selfish wants and desires even if they're absurd and don't make sense. C'monnn I know you have at least one. ;)

As for the Brian Lee thing he's technically a UFA from our team and I haven't forgotten about it.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I am ok with whatever we do honestly. I am patient I am unsure we do a whole lot right now but adding a couple more picks in top two rounds I think 5 in next two years just brings us that much closer to a cup.

In the meantime guys like nesterov koekkoek and blujus are growing. Guys like sustr and gudas and the rest are getting that much better. I think a deal or deals will come in time.

I hope we focus on some defense but also dont mind thinking outside the box and getting guys like tennyson or pateryn or guys we do not think about who are down the depth chart of good teams.

I do not feel we need an overhaul and each day we wait I think a lot of guys worth will move up.

I will not be moving any of these guys.

stamkos hedman drouin or vasilevskis. Probably add bishop.

It would take a major trade to consider tyjo palat or kucherov.

Anyone else is fair game and we keep adding guys I trust our draft. You see today guys like sanheim with a tampa hat? People like it here kids are getting more excited and people respect steve yzerman.

I for one have faith in the system he has implemented. I look forward to the final result. I do not think we have to go all in YET.

I hope we do and speed up the clock but only if we win in the long run. I am not giving up potential superstar assets at this time to get rentals or what I consider two year players unless I look at our club when such a deal is done and say YES we can get a cup in two years.

I like the marleau thing cause he has 3 years but still do not give up even kucherov.

We do not need to. We are ahead of the plan. We are going to get there in my estimation in the next three years if we do nothing till that third year and than move a piece or two to solidify any question mark.

So I am sitting back and waiting on the magic of stevie knowing this is again an identifying year and really a huge evaluation year. To see what the core will shape up to be in the future:)

Me I am ok moving say connolly for despres and doing another small move to solidify the defense. I get the lefty thing but unlike a lot of you I am not sold at all with barberio and think carle will not live out his full deal.

Can you imagine how good we are with despres koekkoek and hedman on the left for the next ten years? Sustr and Gudas on the right? We would need 2 guys than to grow with the team hopefully one physical and one all around righty who can be the leader on the power play?

That doesnt seem this huge big equation to me with having like 12 guys under 25 who will be top two round picks to get those other two assets to make us a perennial stanley cup staple?

So yes the future is very bright indeed. I expect some teams sooner or later to get very stupid we hear talk but will believe it when see it. San Jose Vancouver etc.. If it happens I fully expect stevie to take advantage:)

Is gonna be fun to watch this grow.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Can we talk about Ekblad? Has this discussion been had before?

How good is he really?
Do we need him or someone like him?
What does it take to move up high enough to get him?
Will he come into his game at a good time relative to what the rest of the team will be?

Yzlamic Preacher*

Well fans there's a lot Yzerman can do at this juncture of the off-season. I personally am pleased with the direction of the franchise and there is a lot we can do to improve ourselves. This thread is about what you would like to see him do. I know there's an offseason discussion thread but I think it tends to get a little disorganized at times.

Re-sign all RFA's except for Lindback unless we can trade him to someone who needs a goalie.

Release or buy out Ryan Malone
Do not re-sign Brian Lee
Do not re-sign Sami Salo

Qualify Ryan Callahan with a 4 year $24 million deal. If he doesn't take it then take a hike to Buffalo. I'm high on Callahan too but a player who's cracked 45 points TWICE in his career IS NOT worth more than $6 million. It's the two-way play you're being paid for here. If he doesn't take it then let him walk and grow another top 6 player through the system or trade for Kesler. I love the guy but I'm not going to risk paying him any longer than 4 years either. Prove you can play well past your early 30's before we continue paying you $6 million.

If we trade for Kesler. Offer Vancouver Connolly, Erne or Panik and a 2014 1st rounder and be done with it.

If they don't play ball then we have Killorn grow into the player Callahan is. People have suggested parting ways with Killorn and Kucherov in terms of prospects being dealt and Kucherov is raw but will get better I've said it a million times, it's his ruthlessness that I love. Killorn I see as a fantastic 2 way forward who scores in big moments. As for Panik ******* I love this kid but I'd part with him before Killorn and I've seen more from Kucherov that I like than I have from Panik.

Sign UFA

Steve Downie -I'll admit it. I have a soft spot for the guy. He has a deserved reputation as a punk but he is good enough defensively to be an upgrade for us at the 2nd and 3rd lines. I know he doesn't score much but I loved his chemistry with Stamkos and between himself and Gudas, no one will take any shots at our stars. I really do believe we can bring out the best in him. He may not crack 20 goals, but neither will Purcell at this rate. Put him on the 3rd and 2nd line and watch the fireworks.

Anton Stralman- He's proven to be very steady and I think having him will help us out. He's still young and can log big minutes. Is he a #1? Ehhh I don't know. He's done well enough in the Ranger playoff games that I've seen to get my attention. But it can't be any worse than having Salo around anymore. I know it's a gamble making HIM our top line guy with Hedman but I think he's worth it. People have mentioned Fayne and between him and Stralman there's no one else I'm really pointing my finger at saying "oooh I want him!"

Trades

Draft pick to Minnesota Wild for Keith Ballard if they're willing to do the deal. Low risk, potentially high reward move in my eyes. He doesn't log huge minutes with the Wild but he blocks shots and he hits. And given the fact his brain may be scrambled from concussions, they may be willing to part with him. He plays a physical game above all and I think that's what we need. I don't mean to do this to rob Gudas Aulie and Sustr of valuable playing time either. But considering the fact Cooper rolls with 7 defensemen and we had Barberio in there so much, send him to Syracuse. No offense but having a guy out there just to have a PP QB seems pointless. I'd rather just have someone like Ballard out there so we can have a more physical back end. He only has a year on his contract and it's cheap so I think we can afford to hit or miss here. Having him with one of the young guys at the bottom parings ought to help them in my opinion.

Teddy Purcell to the Nashville Predators for some of their defensive prospects and a draft pick. I don't know who in particular, but they always produce such great, young defensemen. And yes this is a personal vendetta. He's had enough chances and I'm perfectly fine with trading him for prospects. Jonathan Drouin will likely render Purcell useless in the near future.

What would you all like to see to happen?

Are you freaking serious with Kesler trade. No, no way in hell. I am fine with Stralman.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Can we talk about Ekblad? Has this discussion been had before?

How good is he really?
Do we need him or someone like him?
What does it take to move up high enough to get him?
Will he come into his game at a good time relative to what the rest of the team will be?

More than it would be worth.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I dont like ekblad myself think is primarily draft hype and in a good draft he would be like a 10-20 pick so not overally excited. I dont like jones and ekblad is not in same vocabulary as jones :)

I think jones is super over hyped is what I am saying. Ekblad might develop and become a two I see him as a decent 3-4 guy myself. Time will tell is tough with defenders. Nothing about him stands out to me and would have taken nurse zadorov and probably morin hope spelled right phillys guy before him last year myself.

To me this is a very bad draft especially on defenders and think second round has the guys you can win defensively with myself in time. Think will be a couple guys in second who out distance the first rounders in time.

I like barbashev the most in this draft and than sanheim I am liking have done a lot of looks at his game. Other guys im just like ok. They are ok. Is not like last years draft was many guys I was super high on.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think we actually could get Ekblad if we wanted, by trading a number of young wingers, but I don't think we'd want to. For me there are a number of red flags on Ekblad.

The first: About half of his serious hype started post-January. Before then, I don't think I saw a single analyst/columnist refer to him as a potential franchise player.

The second: He's a man-child, which means he's probably not going to do a whole lot more physical maturing. Reminds me a bit of Phaneuf in that way. His physical tools are excellent for an 18 year-old, but the other D-men in his class might catch up to him as they grow into their bodies. I think the majority of Ekblad's improvement will be through experience, which won't necessarily be the case with his peers.

The third: Defensemen are just hard to judge at 18. We can say "sometimes forwards are busts too" and yes, they are, but it's not so much about busts. It's about the idea that the best defensemen in the league are often as not drafted after the first round. You just never know if a highly selected defenseman is going to actually turn into the best defenseman in his year.

If this were Jones, where analysts had been raving about him for about a year and a half, it might be worth the risk. But Ekblad being #1 in what's been called a below average draft class just seems a bit fishy to me. I feel like the "#1 pick" is driving Ekblad's value through the roof. Trading for him would be trading for a potential #2 and hoping he turns into a #1, so I wouldn't give anything more than I'd give for an established #2.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I think we actually could get Ekblad if we wanted, by trading a number of young wingers, but I don't think we'd want to. For me there are a number of red flags on Ekblad.

The first: About half of his serious hype started post-January. Before then, I don't think I saw a single analyst/columnist refer to him as a potential franchise player.

Don't know where you've been looking but many scouts and analysts have been pegging him as a potential franchise player even before he was granted early entry into the OHL. He's been head and shoulders above his draft class(literally and figuratively) for a long while now.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I LOVE Ekblad as a prospect but trading up to the top is risky business for us. What's stopping the Panthers or Sabres from asking for someone like Palat in return? If we do trade up, do it within reason. Right now I share your opinion and hope Barbashev falls to us.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Don't know where you've been looking but many scouts and analysts have been pegging him as a potential franchise player even before he was granted early entry into the OHL. He's been head and shoulders above his draft class(literally and figuratively) for a long while now.

Pretty sure Bob McKenzie had him pegged as a #2. They also haven't been calling Reinhart a potential franchise player (and still aren't, as far as I know), yet Reinhart was ahead of Ekblad on a lot of lists up until the beginning of 2014.

McKenzie last September:

Aaron is the proverbial 'workhorse' defenceman. Capable of playing significant minutes, he has a seemingly ability to get better the more he plays and he seems to thrive on these types of demands. Smart and capable of playing in all situations, he is also capable of dominating opponents. Defensively, offensively, skill game or physical game, Aaron can excel in all types of games. Top 2 type defenceman.

Button's list had Reinhart rated #1 ahead of Ekblad until somewhere around the new year.

Last edited:

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
In a perfect capgeek world...

For those who don't feel like clicking, the only trade I did was swapping Purcell off somewhere. Malone compliance'd (of course). The signings? Pouliot, Moore, Stralman, and Fayne. Kucherov isn't on that list only because I didn't account for any potential trades; I expect he'll be in the NHL to start 2014-15.

The salary figures are just reasonable estimates and they are rounded for simplicity's sake. If you want to ignore them, go ahead. I did forget to demote Sustr to the AHL so you could ignore him and add an extra $1M to the available cap space.

Yeah, there's a lot of #fancystats dreaming and, unfortunately, with the way Pouliot was treated on his way out the door, I really don't expect him to return to Tampa. Dominic Moore is probably perfectly fine in New York himself, but Dominic Moore is just a familiar and comfortable name; there are other Dominic Moore's in the NHL, they just aren't named Dominic Moore.

Fayne and Stralman are legit. I'd love to get either one of them in here; both is a pipe dream but is a wonderful pipe dream.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Are you freaking serious with Kesler trade. No, no way in hell. I am fine with Stralman.

Why not? Vancouver is NOT going to part with Kesler easily and if Callahan is asking for the moon and the stars then I say he can take it all and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I LOVE Callahan but he's not worth any more than $6 million unless he's gonna spot us 25-30 goals every year to go with his defensive play. The whole "Kesler is a cancer" thing is someone I need to do research on. If you fellow Bolt fans who know better than I are certain about what you've heard and read then I'll change my tune because the last thing I want on the Lightning is a bad influence.

I am curious about why you said no though.

At least we agree on Stralman.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Why not? Vancouver is NOT going to part with Kesler easily and if Callahan is asking for the moon and the stars then I say he can take it all and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I LOVE Callahan but he's not worth any more than $6 million unless he's gonna spot us 25-30 goals every year to go with his defensive play. The whole "Kesler is a cancer" thing is someone I need to do research on. If you fellow Bolt fans who know better than I are certain about what you've heard and read then I'll change my tune because the last thing I want on the Lightning is a bad influence.

I am curious about why you said no though.

At least we agree on Stralman.

My only issue with the trade for Kesler was involving Erne. He's pretty unique to our prospect pool so I don't think we can afford to give him up if there's any way around it. I'm fine with giving up Connolly + picks, although I'd probably rather look at dealing those for Marleau, if possible, and stay away from Kesler.

The Marleau option is growing on me more all the time. I think he has a lot of good years left.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Depending on the price tags some Callahan-esque forwards may want I'm content with seeing if Erne can hold that spot. He was a beast in camp, a beast for Quebec, then when he went to Syracuse to end the season he was a beast there.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

The stuff I was seeing had ekblad as a top four defender and a top 10 pick than he kept moving up than the franchise stuff started. This is all in the last year.

I am not impressed myself be that what it may.

I really do think the round to steal GOOD SOLID D GUYS is late first and early to middle second a ton of very great d guys seem to come from those areas often.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I think Ekblad will be a top 4 guy and be a very solid player. But I think the top 2 talk and the franchise player talk are coming from him being so physically developed for his age. You can see him in the videos. He looks like he's 25, not 17. He won't have that edge in the NHL.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think Ekblad will be a top 4 guy and be a very solid player. But I think the top 2 talk and the franchise player talk are coming from him being so physically developed for his age. You can see him in the videos. He looks like he's 25, not 17. He won't have that edge in the NHL.

Agreed. Part of why he's so advanced is because he was a man at age 16 (at most). So he's just more developed than the other kids. It's literally a man against boys. But he might well have just done 99% of his physical developing early. Which means his physical developing might be over, where for a lot of these kids, there's still some more growing to do.

I still think he's going to be very good, mind you. I just think there's been a wave of "franchise player" talk right before draft day, and I'm not really buying it, since you can still find him ranked below Reinhart and (I think) Bennet on some lists, and no one's talking about them like franchise players.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Callahan has only cracked 50 points only once because of injuries, but the guy is going to block shots and save goals. His last 3 season prior to this one, he has a .70 PPG average. That right there is worth 6 Million.

If he stays healthy which I think he will now as he will be more conservative, he should be able to hit 50 points since he is still in his prime. He is worth around 5.5 Million, so 6 million is not far-fetched for his services.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Callahan has only cracked 50 points only once because of injuries, but the guy is going to block shots and save goals. His last 3 season prior to this one, he has a .70 PPG average. That right there is worth 6 Million.

If he stays healthy which I think he will now as he will be more conservative, he should be able to hit 50 points since he is still in his prime. He is worth around 5.5 Million, so 6 million is not far-fetched for his services.

$6 million a year is cool with me but anything more than that then he needs to produce more offensively. Otherwise just groom Killorn for that role or make a trade.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I don't think Callahan is worth 6 million as of this moment. But by the beginning of 2015/2016, I think he will be, because by then we'll have seen the other insane contracts handed out over the summer. I think too many people are measuring him against Filppula, which isn't really fair, because if Flip had been a UFA this summer he would have gotten somewhere around 6.5. He got 5 because he was coming off a dismal year and because the cap went down. So yeah, I would like to see Cally back for 6.

That said, there has to be a line drawn. A specific number where we can't go a penny over. And we're pretty much already at that line (if indeed he's being offered 6). Which sucks, because we really have no option like him. But we can't handcuff ourselves to the guy either.

I have a bad feeling you're going to wind up a Sabre fan, sir. I have an uncle who's a Sabres fan and it's not pretty. :p But then again, there's a chance you'll get to follow McDavid or Eichel's careers, both of which should be pretty special.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
For the love of PETE, stop shopping Erne. He is one of the few kids in the system who can grow into the power forward this organization so badly needs. Trade frigging Connolly before you even think about dealing Erne.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
For the love of PETE, stop shopping Erne. He is one of the few kids in the system who can grow into the power forward this organization so badly needs. Trade frigging Connolly before you even think about dealing Erne.

Agreed. Erne is one of the last guys I would be trading. He is very unique in our system and I think he will be an important piece going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad