Value of: Moves to fix the Senators ?

Ygg

Feb 2, 2017
To CAR
2018 4th OA pick
Logan Brown

To OTT
2018 2nd OA pick

Steep price to pay for the Senators to pick Svechnikov, but worth it considering the amount of middle-6 center prospects in thr organisation. Hurricanes get a blue-chip Carolina-native top 6 center prospect, plus the 4th pick to draft a top prospect, either Tkachuk or Wahlstrom. Definitely stocks their blue-chip prospects pool

To CGY
Zack Smith
Cody Ceci
Mike Condon

To OTT
Michael Stone
Sam Bennett

Sign UFA Calvin de Haan
Sign UFA Jaroslav Halak
Buyout Burrows
LTIR Gaborik

2018 opening day roster

Hoffman-Duchene-Bennett
Dzingel-Svechnikov-Ma.Stone
White-Pageau-Ryan
Gagne-Chlapik-Pyatt

DeHaan-Karlsson
Chabot-Mi.Stone
Wolanin-Wideman

Anderson
Halak

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
1. Even if I like Svechnikov, the price seems high and he's a natural RW, not a Center, that leaves OTT with a hole down the middle
Top of the Class: Andrei Svechnikov
Andrei Svechnikov at eliteprospects.com
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=196147
Andrei Svechnikov - Wikipedia

2. Seems fair, but I don't think that CGY does it... as a former Calgarian I can tell you that they still have a lot of hope in this young player (well the Calgary hockey fans anyway)... unless their mind changed quite a bit since I left the city last November

Calvin de Haan: I like but my guess is that he'll cost around 4.5M-5.5M (Alzner's type of contract)
Jaroslav Halak: I like (3yr x 3M?)
Buyout Burrows: Let him play his final year
LTIR Gaborik: I'm not sure about his health status, so I cant comment on LTIR

Ygg

Feb 2, 2017
1. Even if I like Svechnikov, the price seems high and he's a natural RW, not a Center, that leaves OTT with a hole down the middle
Top of the Class: Andrei Svechnikov
Andrei Svechnikov at eliteprospects.com
Andrei Svechnikov hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com
Andrei Svechnikov - Wikipedia

2. Seems fair, but I don't think that CGY does it... as a former Calgarian I can tell you that they still have a lot of hope in this young player (well the Calgary hockey fans anyway)... unless their mind changed quite a bit since I left the city last November

Calvin de Haan: I like but my guess is that he'll cost around 4.5M-5.5M (Alzner's type of contract)
Jaroslav Halak: I like (3yr x 3M?)
Buyout Burrows: Let him play his final year
LTIR Gaborik: I'm not sure about his health status, so I cant comment on LTIR

Svechnikov can still play center, but I get your point. He is still a top end player nonetheless and the Senators should invest in White and Chlapik (seeing that White was the 1st C on team USA can only help his case for the future). When Ryan leaves Svechnikov could switch to wing if it doesn't work as a C the first years.

Ceci needs a change and Michael Stone would be a good mid-pairing defensive defenseman to help support Chabot into a more offensive role. Obviously Ceci is worth more so that's why I added Bennett and Smith and Condon to balance things out.

I think deHaan would be good at 4.5M for 5years, as you said he would be like Alzner but he'd be playing with Karlsson. That's the big difference, rather than playing with Jordie Benn.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
To CAR
2018 4th OA pick
Logan Brown

To OTT
2018 2nd OA pick

Steep price to pay for the Senators to pick Svechnikov, but worth it considering the amount of middle-6 center prospects in thr organisation. Hurricanes get a blue-chip Carolina-native top 6 center prospect, plus the 4th pick to draft a top prospect, either Tkachuk or Wahlstrom. Definitely stocks their blue-chip prospects pool

All depends on how Carolina views the guys available. Canes biggest need is elite offensive talent. If they feel Svechnikov/Zadina is >> than anyone after that, I don't see them making this move. If they feel Svechnikov/Zadina is close to guys after this, they take this and run.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
No to #1. Canes don’t move quality for quantity. As Waddell said yesterday: Canes need Franchise talent to compete in today’s NHL.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
No to #1. Canes don’t move quality for quantity. As Waddell said yesterday: Canes need Franchise talent to compete in today’s NHL.

This only makes sense if the Canes are particularly high on Tkachuk or Kotkaniemi, nothing I've read seems to indicate they'd be higher on those guy than Svech/Zadina so it's a moot point. I think the value is fine for both teams, but obviously the fit doesn't seem to be there for the Canes.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No way from Calgary. We're giving up two pieces with value for Ceci and spare parts/cap dumps.

Bennett, despite the accusations of being a total bust, is a valuable player on our third line and currently our best bottom six forward.

Calgary has several prospects ready to step into a bottom pairing role. Ceci has zero value to us. Stone can play second pairing during injuries to our top 4 and is just more useful than ceci at this point.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
This only makes sense if the Canes are particularly high on Tkachuk or Kotkaniemi, nothing I've read seems to indicate they'd be higher on those guy than Svech/Zadina so it's a moot point. I think the value is fine for both teams, but obviously the fit doesn't seem to be there for the Canes.

Sure the value is ok. A team like Pittsburgh who already has two Superstars might jump on the added depth. However the Hurricanes specifically need elite talent and Waddell said their guy is ready to bring that next year. I don’t think anyone fits that description except Svechnikov.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
1. New owners in for Eugene Melnyk

2. New GM in for Pierre Dorion

3. New Coach in for Guy Boucher

4. Dump truck full of money for Erik Karlsson

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand fixed :thumbu:

I agree these changes would help because there's clearly some management issues impacting the on-ice product here, but there's also a serious lack of talent at almost every position which is the main issue IMO. I personally don't believe Dzingel is a top 6 forward despite scoring 23 goals this year. I definitely don't believe Bobby Ryan is a top 6 forward anymore so that leaves you with arguably 3 top 6 forwards on your team (Stone, Duchene, Hoffman) which is pretty tough to compete with. A lot of the powerhouse teams have 7-8 top 6 forwards on their roster alone. Combine that with a big lack of talent on D after you get passed Karlsson and some of the worst starting goaltending in the league and that's not a recipe for success without some big time over achievement. New ownership/coach/GM doesn't fix the talent problem.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I agree these changes would help because there's clearly some management issues impacting the on-ice product here, but there's also a serious lack of talent at almost every position which is the main issue IMO. I personally don't believe Dzingel is a top 6 forward despite scoring 23 goals this year. I definitely don't believe Bobby Ryan is a top 6 forward anymore so that leaves you with arguably 3 top 6 forwards on your team (Stone, Duchene, Hoffman) which is pretty tough to compete with. A lot of the powerhouse teams have 7-8 top 6 forwards on their roster alone. Combine that with a big lack of talent on D after you get passed Karlsson and some of the worst starting goaltending in the league and that's not a recipe for success without some big time over achievement. New ownership/coach/GM doesn't fix the talent problem.

Depends on your definition of fix. If you want to turn the team into a cup contender next year then yes, I agree, these changes don't fix things. If you want to build a team that can challenge for the playoffs next year and work towards building a consistently stronger program over the next several years then absolutely it will.

The important thing these changes would do is:
1. provide an ownership group that will focus on developing a winning and more valuable product even if it may require extra costs in the short run
2. build a management team that is self aware and competent (not trading a future 1st and "going for it" only to months later begin hinting at a rebuild)
3. bring in a coach that is adaptable and can teach a system that can win in today's NHL and play to the strength of the players we have
4. keep the best player in franchise history

Looking at the team from a short term / next year perspective is one thing. But I'm honestly more concerned with the long term viability of this team because there's not a lot of hope to sell right now and no changes seem to be being made to fix that.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Depends on your definition of fix. If you want to turn the team into a cup contender next year then yes, I agree, these changes don't fix things. If you want to build a team that can challenge for the playoffs next year and work towards building a consistently stronger program over the next several years then absolutely it will.

The important thing these changes would do is:
1. provide an ownership group that will focus on developing a winning and more valuable product even if it may require extra costs in the short run
2. build a management team that is self aware and competent (not trading a future 1st and "going for it" only to months later begin hinting at a rebuild)
3. bring in a coach that is adaptable and can teach a system that can win in today's NHL and play to the strength of the players we have
4. keep the best player in franchise history

Looking at the team from a short term / next year perspective is one thing. But I'm honestly more concerned with the long term viability of this team because there's not a lot of hope to sell right now and no changes seem to be being made to fix that.

Understood. In that case we're in complete agreement.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sens are entering a very dark period with very little hope. Melnyk , Dorion, Lee inspire zero confidence. The only chance is that they hit on some draft picks. Dorion has given up our 1st from last year, a 2nd and 3rd this year and our 1st next year and then he gets the bright idea to rebuild. No worries we will just trade anybody that's any good at all for picks... Its going to be take a while and a lot of luck with these turkeys. Oh and he also keeps Boucher around. The guy that thinks you don't feed steak to a baby, says the NHL is not a development league, prefers guys like Dumont, plays Burrows on the PP that was brutal and thinks you can play rookies on the 4th line with his veteran plugs for 4 minutes a game. Only fix is to literally blow it all up and start again ...with new people at the helm.
burningcouch.gif

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
As much as I would like Svechnikov, the difference between 4th and 2nd overall is not Logan Brown. Pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad