GDT: Movember 8th - Flames @ Avalanche [7:00pm on Sportsnet West]

Aug 3, 2010
I like this goalie tandem! Berra looked good in his 3 games, Ramo needed to come out with a solid game and he did. This competition is going to be awesome and push both guys to be better.

To bad we lost, but overall it was a great effort and very entertaining. Good game!
Should have signed Bryzgalov. :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It makes me mad that the Colorado Avalanche got Nathan MacKinnon, and this loss really just reaffirms that feeling. They were in no way a bad enough team to come second last in the NHL last year. Case in point, they are now second in the league with virtually the same roster. Seasons like last year for the Avs really throw the parity of the league out of whack.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It makes me mad that the Colorado Avalanche got Nathan MacKinnon, and this loss really just reaffirms that feeling. They were in no way a bad enough team to come second last in the NHL last year. Case in point, they are now second in the league with virtually the same roster. Seasons like last year for the Avs really throw the parity of the league out of whack.

Talking to my dad tonight, about the game, he said this, and I couldn't agree more.

"Look at these guys, they sucked up playing poor in a half season... threw games away, and played poorly; but look, for a couple months of bad... they got themselves a huge talent that will be a top line center in the NHL for a long time. Meanwhile, Calgary felt like they had to put up a 'winning' attitude, lost, got a worse player, and are miles away from competing again.
Last year was the perfect year for a quick down year, rather than a full one. Flames screwed up again."

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Avalanche cleaned house though. Replaced the coaching staff, the president, and the GM. Their defensive core is still really bad on paper, but they have a coach compensating for that by getting the forwards to back check plus they're getting some incredible goaltending. There was also a fair amount of turnover - Jones, O'Brien, Hunwick, Hejduk, Zanon, and Kobasew all left. And they obviously lucked out winning the lottery and moving into first.

Although one could make the argument ownership intentionally tanked by keeping Sacco and LaCroix employed despite it being painfully obvious they were wholly inept. Still, unlike the Oilers, they made wholesale changes to the areas which desperately needed it.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The Avs goaltending and defense are playing above themselves in my opinion. It will be interesting to see if they can sustain it for a whole season.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Glad to see that Backlund had a great game. Thought the kid line of Reinhart Monahan and Sven looked good to.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The Avs goaltending and defense are playing above themselves in my opinion. It will be interesting to see if they can sustain it for a whole season.

Another thing to add, will Vlarmov even be able to walk the streets all season? That guy looks like he's Russian mafia, seriously.

I do like JS though, he is a quality guy when he's focused. Roy has done an excellent job with that team.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Another thing to add, will Vlarmov even be able to walk the streets all season? That guy looks like he's Russian mafia, seriously.

I do like JS though, he is a quality guy when he's focused. Roy has done an excellent job with that team.
I'm curious how he still sits in the dressing room. I'm sure there's gotta be some players who don't exactly like guys who beat their girlfriends.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Talking to my dad tonight, about the game, he said this, and I couldn't agree more.

"Look at these guys, they sucked up playing poor in a half season... threw games away, and played poorly; but look, for a couple months of bad... they got themselves a huge talent that will be a top line center in the NHL for a long time. Meanwhile, Calgary felt like they had to put up a 'winning' attitude, lost, got a worse player, and are miles away from competing again.
Last year was the perfect year for a quick down year, rather than a full one. Flames screwed up again."

Flames screwed up by picking Sean Monahan? OK.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
It is great to see, but I seem to recall every line Hudler goes on has great chemistry, just think back to the Baer, Monahan, Hudler line ... not to take anything away from Backlund or Cammy.

Hudler didn't really have good chemistry with Baertschi, though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Flames screwed up by picking Sean Monahan? OK.

Monahan will probably be a fine player, but Nate Mack will be a definite first line 80-90 point center that this team desperately needed for the past two decades almost. And all it took in between the two is losing two more games rather than the 'winning mentality' Feaster was feeding us (even though we still ended up terrible).

Think of it along the lines of the Tavares draft.
Sure, LA got themselves Schenn, who is a strong two-way player and definitely has the tools to be an above-average; even all-star in the league... But the Isles got themselves a guy they can hinge their entire franchise on for the next 15 years.

St Wardo

Registered Prophet
Oct 16, 2013
New Brunswick
Colorado got mackinnon, but they also won a lottery. they got lucky. they retooled their management and coaching staff, and re-directed their culture. There are different ways to rebuild and each have their pros and cons, but our management really got away from trying to win a good player (ie hope to get lucky), and make the players we currently have, better (ie work harder). i'm really impressed with our rebuild so far because even though we didn't get a nathan mackinnon or a seth jones, we are still setting up nicely to compete with them in a few years. That's how i look at it and honestly the fact that we got monahan is just icing on the cake, for me at least.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Mackinnon has very little to do with the Avs success this doesn't make any sense at all. Monahan is a great talent I don't see how you can say the Flames screwed up.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Monahan will probably be a fine player, but Nate Mack will be a definite first line 80-90 point center that this team desperately needed for the past two decades almost. And all it took in between the two is losing two more games rather than the 'winning mentality' Feaster was feeding us (even though we still ended up terrible).

Think of it along the lines of the Tavares draft.
Sure, LA got themselves Schenn, who is a strong two-way player and definitely has the tools to be an above-average; even all-star in the league... But the Isles got themselves a guy they can hinge their entire franchise on for the next 15 years.

Believe it or not I'd much rather be a fan of LA since that draft than the Isles

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Mackinnon has very little to do with the Avs success this doesn't make any sense at all. Monahan is a great talent I don't see how you can say the Flames screwed up.

I think you're seeing so much red that someone said something against Monahan, that you didn't even read.
It isn't about how much impact Mack has on the Avs this season; nothing was said about that. On the other hand, had you read, the point was that for being bad for a couple months on a team that truly should not have been; they quickly got themselves a guy who even at this age, you can tell has all kinds of ability now... and down the road they can have as a top line center for years and year.

Meanwhile, Calgary was trying to create a 'winning' attitude, and allowing guys like Bégin to win games for them (which has no barring, what-so-ever on prospect development), and they bumped down a number of picks from the draft... when the clear top 4 was shoulders above the rest.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think you're seeing so much red that someone said something against Monahan, that you didn't even read.
It isn't about how much impact Mack has on the Avs this season; nothing was said about that. On the other hand, had you read, the point was that for being bad for a couple months on a team that truly should not have been; they quickly got themselves a guy who even at this age, you can tell has all kinds of ability now... and down the road they can have as a top line center for years and year.

Meanwhile, Calgary was trying to create a 'winning' attitude, and allowing guys like Bégin to win games for them (which has no barring, what-so-ever on prospect development), and they bumped down a number of picks from the draft... when the clear top 4 was shoulders above the rest.

No your point is we should have tanked which is moronic as we played a team full of rookies to end the year. If Begin was what won us games than he might be one of the greatest 4th liners in history. Maybe instead of just attacking me you could formulate a point that is stupid.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Believe it or not I'd much rather be a fan of LA since that draft than the Isles

They keep Schenn, Simmonds, Johnson and that first rounder; instead of moving parts for what was the heart of the Philadelphia Flyers team... think you're singing a different tune.

On the other hand, how do you feel about being a fan of the Flyers and the Isles?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No your point is we should have tanked which is moronic as we played a team full of rookies to end the year. If Begin was what won us games than he might be one of the greatest 4th liners in history. Maybe instead of just attacking me you could formulate a point that is stupid.

http://flames.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2012020642
http://flames.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2012020609
http://flames.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2012020579
May want to think before you just write. After you look those over, or recall, tell me exactly... those rookie teams we played last year; they had so much to do with these victories eh? This is all from the last couple weeks of the season, where it was clear the rest of the bottom 5 teams had simply packed it in.

I'm not even attacking you. You didn't read what I wrote, and just called me out on something completely different as to what I was saying.

I am not supporting a tank; because I like to see the team I cheer for most win, but if there was ever a time to take the foot off the gas it is probably when you're near the bottom of the league, with two weeks left to play, in a lock-out shortened season.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
http://flames.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2012020642
http://flames.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2012020609
http://flames.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2012020579
May want to think before you just write. After you look those over, or recall, tell me exactly... those rookie teams we played last year; they had so much to do with these victories eh? This is all from the last couple weeks of the season, where it was clear the rest of the bottom 5 teams had simply packed it in.

I'm not even attacking you. You didn't read what I wrote, and just called me out on something completely different as to what I was saying.

I am not supporting a tank; because I like to see the team I cheer for most win, but if there was ever a time to take the foot off the gas it is probably when you're near the bottom of the league, with two weeks left to play, in a lock-out shortened season.

Your Begin had 2 game winning goals but that wasn't enough to get us to first overall not to mention if he wasn't playing who is to say that someone won't have scored them.

No your point was that MacKinnon > Monahan and I am saying
1) Monahan has done just as well to start the year
2) Mac is on a much better team and his success would have been harder on the Flames.

Your complaining about nothing.

You can't say you aren't supporting a tank and then call Calgary winning a few games as a failure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad