NCAA: Mount Union loss in Division III Second Round

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
If there was a dynasty that is close to the Patriots & North Dakota State, Mount Union in Division III might be the one. They had been to 13 straight Stagg Bowls (the Division III national championship game). I said "had," because on Nov. 30th, North Central College from Illinois, defeated the Purple Raiders in a shootout for the ages.

I was watching the Army-Navy game. I assumed that Mount Union would be in the playoffs. But to my surprise, I didn't see the Mount Union team name in the bottom line-style ticker. It's a bit of a shock for me. Not seeing this stalwart in the Division 3 Stagg Bowl seems... there are no words for it.

Do you agree, or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It is a huge deal within a subset of folks but your average sports fan or even an avid football fan probably doesn’t know or care that much.

I attended a small Ohio college in their conference in the late 80s. They were really good even then.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It is a huge deal within a subset of folks but your average sports fan or even an avid football fan probably doesn’t know or care that much.

I attended a small Ohio college in their conference in the late 80s. They were really good even then.
That's a great way to describe it. I feel like I watch way too much sports and know way too much useless information, but I didn't know about that school or its history.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If there was a dynasty that is close to the Patriots & North Dakota State, Mount Union in Division III might be the one. They had been to 13 straight Stagg Bowls (the Division III national championship game). I said "had," because on Nov. 30th, North Central College from Illinois, defeated the Purple Raiders in a shootout for the ages.

I was watching the Army-Navy game. I assumed that Mount Union would be in the playoffs. But to my surprise, I didn't see the Mount Union team name in the bottom line-style ticker. It's a bit of a shock for me. Not seeing this stalwart in the Division 3 Stagg Bowl seems... there are no words for it.

Do you agree, or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?
You're off a little bit; it was 11 consecutive from 2005-2015 because they didn't go in 2016. In that run was seven (7) consecutive title game matchups with Wisconsin-Whitewater and 9 years out of 10. [The Warhawks lost the first two games, then took 6 of the next 7.]

Maybe to put it in better perspective, since 1993 the Purple Raiders have won 13 national titles and finished runner-up 8 other times. That includes 3-peats in 1996-1998 and 2000-2002.

More? This year's 11-1 record is the fewest wins in a season since 1994 when they finished 10-2, and it's the first time in this 28-year playoff streak that they didn't make it to the D3 semifinals.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
You're off a little bit; it was 11 consecutive from 2005-2015 because they didn't go in 2016. In that run was seven (7) consecutive title game matchups with Wisconsin-Whitewater and 9 years out of 10. [The Warhawks lost the first two games, then took 6 of the next 7.]

Maybe to put it in better perspective, since 1993 the Purple Raiders have won 13 national titles and finished runner-up 8 other times. That includes 3-peats in 1996-1998 and 2000-2002.

More? This year's 11-1 record is the fewest wins in a season since 1994 when they finished 10-2, and it's the first time in this 28-year playoff streak that they didn't make it to the D3 semifinals.

Thanks for correcting me.

BTW, the team that defeated Mount Union, North Central, won their first National Championship against Wisconsin-Water. Fascinating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad