Most Valuable Oiler #9

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Who do you think is the next most valuable Oiler going forward?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

2014 Offseason Results:
*new to 2014-2015 Oilers roster

2013 Offseason Results:
*not on 2014-2015 Oilers roster

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
This is where the fun really begins.

edit - I had a hard time choosing between Scrivens and Petry... probably could have went either way.

Last edited:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
But Klefbom hasn't. And in direct comparison between Marincin and Klefbom, it matters. And Marincin went to the Olympics last year, not in 2010. Therefore his value is high right now.

Chances that Marincin would have made the Swedish team are extremely slim, and Klefbom (especially if he was a year older) could have had a great shot at making the Slovakian team.

There's too many variables and not enough upside in playing in that tournament to give an advantage to either player.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
Where would the team be without Scrivens?

Suprised he didn't go before Schultz.

Perhaps by trade value he isn't as high due to typical goalie return

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
I would not be voting for one of our goalie's for a while. Just look at Dubnyk voted #9 last year and became worthless. Unless you are a proven top 15 goalie on a decent contract value is not there. Traded 3rd rounder's for them and I don't think they have brought up there value that much sense. Scrivens has 2 years on his contract and is most likely our starter, but would you really be happy with a 3rd rounder or at best late 2nd rounder for any of Petry, Marcinin or Klefbom? I don't think Scrivens would garnish much better return than that in a trade.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Hard not to vote for Petry, however I have a feeling my username is going to be irrelevant by next year. :( Votes gone to Marincin as I feel he has huge potential and will be here long term.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Chances that Marincin would have made the Swedish team are extremely slim, and Klefbom (especially if he was a year older) could have had a great shot at making the Slovakian team.

There's too many variables and not enough upside in playing in that tournament to give an advantage to either player.
But since we can't vote for both, I had to pick one. And I'm sticking to my justification.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Hard to see any of the remaining guys being more valuable to the Oilers than Petry.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Surprised by the leaders. Scrivens was picked up for a 3rd round pick and Petry is an impending UFA. Dont think either have much trade value.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
But since we can't vote for both, I had to pick one. And I'm sticking to my justification.

That's fine, I just really don't think you can weigh that experience as added value to a player, let alone use it when comparing the values of two players with different circumstances.

I guess I'm just confused whether you see him being part of the Olympics as verification of his talent or as an added experience that will benefit him in the future.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
That's fine, I just really don't think you can weigh that experience as added value to a player, let alone use it when comparing the values of two players with different circumstances.

I guess I'm just confused whether you see him being part of the Olympics as verification of his talent or as an added experience that will benefit him in the future.

The latter.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
In terms of trade value: Klefbom. Young blue chip D prospect.

I would be surpised if Scrivens got a 2nd even if he played amazing next year. Goalies dont return much in trades

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
In terms of trade value: Klefbom
In terms of value to this organization:
Petry
Marincin
Scrivens

Voted Klefbom though.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
Wow, this is close. Unless someone pulls ahead today I'll make a tiebreak

Good idea Scrivens might edge this poll due to split votes on the three defensemen. I foresee tiebreaker going to Marincin and all 3 defensemen might go before Scrivens after that.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Should Scrivens win the next poll automatically if he loses the tiebreak or should I just make another one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad