Most Valuable Oiler #6

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Who do you think is the next most valuable Oiler going forward?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

2014 Offseason Results:
*new to 2014-2015 Oilers roster

2013 Offseason Results:
*not on 2014-2015 Oilers roster

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Of Schultz, Perron, and Nurse, I think moving nurse would produce by far the biggest backlash on hfboards. That said, Perron is a sure thing, and Schultz is further along (if still somewhat a project).

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think Schultz is being a bit underrated here. I bet that a Dman with his skillset would have big value around the league and the Oilers don't have anybody like him on the team or in the pipeline so I think his value is really big to the Oilers as well.

The contract he signs will have an affect on the perception of his value but I personally have him #3 all things considered. Yes, even higher than Eberle because I believe that he will be a 50+ point defenseman within a couple of years and we don't have anybody on the blueline with his skillset. I see him and Klefbom being our version of Seabrook and Keith eventually (not saying they will be as good, just impact to the team). I'm not as high on Nurse as a lot of others are although his physicality will be much needed.

I'll say one thing though as I look at this list. The Oilers have a boatload of talent, you would think that they will contend at some point with this group. Right? RIGHT?

Last edited:

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
He will have a career similar to Brain Campbell when it is all said and done.

That's a bet I'll take any day. Give me a year he scores 16 goals in a dead puck era like Andy Delmore, or let alone today and we will talk.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
I went LD on the last one based on potential, but I think Perron would have to be next most valuable as there are no question marks. He will help teams win games, guaranteed. He's a useful player that can be asked to play a number of roles. We fluked out/MacT deserves some credit, but that was a great trade for us.

Nurse I'm pretty high on, and would be my next pick, but worst case scenario with him is he's not good enough for the NHL. Upside is that maybe he'll be as useful as Perron currently is. Obviously very different roles, but we're doing pretty good if Nurse turns out to be as useful to an NHL roster as Perron currently is.

And I'm personally skeptical to Schultz at this point. He could be a top offensive dman one day, but I worry about his usefulness compared to what his salary is due to being a one dimensional player. If he turns into Paul Coffey, great, but I'm more thinking MAB personally.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
How is a 50-plus pt second-line winger on a 3.8M contract still on the list?

No-brainer for me. Like it or not, NHL GMs value track record over potential.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How is a 50-plus pt second-line winger on a 3.8M contract still on the list?

No-brainer for me. Like it or not, NHL GMs value track record over potential.

I went with perron as well. He's proven that he is a very good player that can play in multiple slots in the top 6. Plus he bring more than just offense.

Nurse has a long way to go before he can make an impact to a NHL team the way Perron does and is doing.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad