Most Valuable Oiler #5

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Who do you think is the next most valuable Oiler?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... Ignore team need. One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

2015 Offseason Results:
*new to 2015-2016 Oilers roster
^unranked in 2014-2015
#tiebreak

2014 Offseason Results:
[collapse=table]
Rank|Name|Vote|Δ
1| Taylor Hall|96%|--
2| Ryan Nugent-Hopkins|84%|--
3| Jordan Eberle|59%|+1
4| Nail Yakupov|43%|-1
5| Leon Draisaitl |39%|*
6| Darnell Nurse |39%|+6
7| David Perron |52%|+4
8| Justin Schultz |63%|-3
9| Martin Marincin # |30%|^
10| Oscar Klefbom # |34%|-2
11| Ben Scrivens |45%|*
12| Jeff Petry |67%|-2
13| Mark Fayne |66%|*
14| Benoit Pouliot |38%|*
15| Boyd Gordon |43%|-1
16| Victor Fasth |36%|*
17| Andrew Ference # |28%|-4
18| Teddy Purcell |37%|*
19| Nikita Nikitin # |34%|*
20| Marc Acrobello |52%|^
*new to 2014-2015 Oilers roster
^unranked in 2013-2014
#tiebreak
[/collapse]2013 Offseason Results:
[collapse=table2]*not on 2014-2015 Oilers roster[/collapse]

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Hard to decide between Nurse and Sekera. Sekera is a first pairing guy NOW. Nurse very well may turn out to be the same, we can hope. I have him as a near lock as a 1st pairing shutdown guy given his skillset, but you can never be too sure.

I picked Nurse but it's very close between he and Sekera.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hard to decide between Nurse and Sekera. Sekera is a first pairing guy NOW. Nurse very well may turn out to be the same, we can hope. I have him as a near lock as a 1st pairing shutdown guy given his skillset, but you can never be too sure.

The other thing to look at is the NMC. Probably could hurt trade value a bit

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Maybe I'm overrating Draisaitl but supremely skilled, big forwards are so rare in the NHL. Likewise, players of Nurse's athleticism are rare, but I think Draisaitl should be in the conversation. I also think he's more likely to be a #1C than Nurse is to be a #1D. I see Nurse as more of a #2D that can make a huge impact with a steady partner.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe I'm overrating Draisaitl but supremely skilled, big forwards are so rare in the NHL. Likewise, players of Nurse's athleticism are rare, but I think Draisaitl should be in the conversation. I also think he's more likely to be a #1C than Nurse is to be a #1D. I see Nurse as more of a #2D that can make a huge impact with a steady partner.

I think it's a coin toss for me. For whatever reason I feel Nurse will be making a NHL impact sooner. I think the opportunity is there for him to get onto the roster sooner thus making that impact sooner.

Although it wouldn't surprise me to see LD force his way onto the team and make the club before Nurse.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
IMO, in terms of value, Yakupov is above all on this list. The poll specifically states, in a trade to another team, who would bring the greatest return. That's Yakupov. A lot of our HF fans here have given up on him but I doubt the majority of the NHL has. He was still a 1st overall pick that hasn't lost any of that skill, he just hasn't broken out yet. To suggest a team would offer us more for Sekera or Talbot over Yakupov is ludicrous IMO. I'm sure this opinion will be totally flopped by Christmas but HF Oilers channel 38 undervalues Nail. The trades, this thread. Nail Yakupov has a higher trade value and potential than any other player on this list.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
IMO, in terms of value, Yakupov is above all on this list. The poll specifically states, in a trade to another team, who would bring the greatest return. That's Yakupov. A lot of our HF fans here have given up on him but I doubt the majority of the NHL has. He was still a 1st overall pick that hasn't lost any of that skill, he just hasn't broken out yet. To suggest a team would offer us more for Sekera or Talbot over Yakupov is ludicrous IMO. I'm sure this opinion will be totally flopped by Christmas but HF Oilers channel 38 undervalues Nail. The trades, this thread. Nail Yakupov has a higher trade value and potential than any other player on this list.

I'm not sure if he's above all remaining, but I do agree that he's getting supremely underrated on HF.

I'd put him in the same tier as Draisaitl, Nurse, Klefbom, and Eberle.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Voting Sekera again. Plays the most coveted spot in the league. You cannot win without solid d-men. Everyone wants them. For all the hype Nurse has he is not a proven commodity yet, Sekera is and he only recently turned 29, pretty much the prime for a d-man. Not to mention it's not even sure Nurse will be better than Sekera. The same logic applies to Draisaitl, lots of potential there but as of right now it's very hard to say where he'd end up on a depth chart down the line, in contrast to someone like McDavid who deservedly is #1 most valuable and is going to be a top player in this league for the next decade. That's something you can say with 99% certainty. Nurse and Drai, while trending nicely, are still question marks.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
In a trade nurse could have nabbed us Hamilton.

:/

That would've been an extremely huge overpayment for Dougie given that Boston was dealing from a position of weakness. Chia was right to offer other stuff. It seems like Boston just took a dumb deal from Calgary because of a personal conflict with Chia.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003

This just sounds delusional to me. Yakupov's value is in the toilet right now. It's never been lower than it is right now. He has value to the Oilers organization, but much less so to other teams.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada

My dilemma as well. I went with Sekera because we know he is going to be a top pair guy this year. Nurse will be, but for now, it's Sekera for me until Nurse assumes a spot on the top 3 rotation. That may happen this year so who knows?:popcorn:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
As per the OPs stipulations I think Nurse likely returns the most right now. But I do think Sekera is more valuable to the Oilers and will be for the next number of years.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I honestly can't decide on this. I guess you have to go with a dman, but its hard to say at this point which of Nurse or Klefbom or even Reinhart will be the best. They all bring different unique aspects to their game and none of them are super 1 dimensional (I guess you could make a case for Reinhart, but he still offers a good breakout pass and a bomb from the point). I also think Sekera is really going to thrive on this team with all the skill up front, definitely won't be surprised in the slightest if he returns to his 2013-14 offensive production.

At the same time Draisaitl and Yakupov are still there to choose from. Draisaitl is still probably a couple years away from making a big impact, but his vision and passing is elite, his puck protection will only improve as he gets older and is already pretty good, and of course his 2-way game has made huge improvements since he was drafted. Could really be an elite 2-way centre someday.

Then there's Yakupov, and while I know some people are down on him, I just can't see any way that this guy doesn't break out in the next 2 years. He has all the tools you could want in an elite goal scorer and he hits like a truck. I think with a stable competent coaching staff in place this guy breaks out enormously. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he leads the team in goals next year.

I guess for now I'll go with Nurse just because he brings that unique physicality and aggressiveness to his game while having elite skating ability, a good outlet pass, and an offensive game that could progress quite a bit with the right coaching (I know Jim Johnson has a reputation of being really good with developing dmen). Even if his offensive game doesn't progress he still could be a bigger more physical Vlasic. I mean when he was drafted he was extremely lanky and while he has filled out some I still think he has a few years before he's fully grown into his body. He's going to be an absolute monster back there.

Edit: I didn't even think about Talbot, missed him when skimming the list. I guess he's the real dark horse. An elite goalie can make all the difference, and while he has played behind a good team I don't think it really was the only reason he performed so well. From what I've seen of him he uses his size well, he moves through the crease well, has very good positioning and isn't caught scrambling very often (cough Scrivens). He also has a very very good glove so it will be nice to not have to watch Scrivens get beat high glove 1-2 times a night early in a game when the teams feet aren't under them yet. If he solidifies himself as a top 10-15 starting goalie this year and we extend him longterm, then he is easily worthy of top 5 most valuable on this team.

Last edited:

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If it were the best player, I'd go with Sekera but the fact that he's on a huge contract with a NMC hurts his value IMO.

Yak's value seems pretty low at the moment - hope he turns it around this year.

Nurse, Draisaitl and Reinhart aren't regular NHLers at this point so I can't rank them.

So... I went with Klefbom. Still young and on an ELC for one more year and has already shown that he can play in the league. I also think he can be a top-pairing defender in the future.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Has to be Darnell. I voted for him in #4, and there's a hell of a lot resting on how good he can become.

Also: pretty funny how Schultz has fallen from 5 in 2013, to 8 last summer, to probably in the 12-15 range this summer. What a bum. :laugh:

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
Voted for Leon. Absolutely love Nurse, loved the pick when we took him, but I am really excited with what Leon can turn into over the coming years.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I feel Draisaitl will become an impact forward earlier than Nurse becomes an impact dman. Nurse is one of those players who might take a few years for his mind to catch up to his tools and natural talent.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Reinhart did just as much as Nurse did in their 20 year old season in Junior. Actually Reinhart did more. How is he not above Nurse?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad