Most Valuable Oiler #5

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Toss up between Draisaitl and Nurse IMO. Both have the highest ceilings amongst the remaining players and play premium positions.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Hall #1 franchise winger/super star
RNH potential/as close as we have to a #1 center
Scrivens potential/as close as we have to a #1 goalie
Schultz potential/as close as we have to a #1 D-man

Are the main ones.

Perron, Yak, Eberle, Marincin, Fyane, Nikita, and Fasthe are what I would call tier two types.

Tier 3 is important as well.

Petry, Ferrence, Gordon, Hendricks, Arco, Purcell, and Pouliot

The scrubs/hopefuls: Pitlick, Lander, Leon, Joensuu, Aulie, and Gazdic,

Leon hasn't shown anything yet or he might even be tier one. Impossible to slate him in anywhere here without knowing how good he can play in the NHL. He has zero value until we know he can play.
Wait how on earth are Nikitin and Fayne in the same tier as Yakupov and Eberle?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I will continue to waste my vote on Scrivens.

Why? The OP stated that this is basically a trade value thread. Our goalies were worth nothing when we got them, and even though both have looked good for us, are worth basically nothing in trade now still.

It has to come down to prospects now, as none of our remaining players are worth a great deal. I voted for Nurse because he has that one extra year of development behind him already.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Why? The OP stated that this is basically a trade value thread. Our goalies were worth nothing when we got them, and even though both have looked good for us, are worth basically nothing in trade now still.

It has to come down to prospects now, as none of our remaining players are worth a great deal. I voted for Nurse because he has that one extra year of development behind him already.

People here are highly overrating prospects like Nurse and Draisaitl.

Remember Paajarvi, drafted at #10, was traded along with a second round pick for Perron. Filip Forsberg drafted at #11 was traded for top 6/9 winger Martin Erat.

#5 overall Nino Niederreiter was traded for hitter Cal Clutterbuck and a 3rd round pick.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Remember Paajarvi, drafted at #10, was traded along with a second round pick for Perron. Filip Forsberg drafted at #11 was traded for top 6/9 winger Martin Erat.

#5 overall Nino Niederreiter was traded for hitter Cal Clutterbuck and a 3rd round pick.

Pajaarvi and Niedereiter were both struggling badly. Forsberg for Erat is widely considered to be one of the worst trades made in recent years, and is one of the reasons the GM that made that trade got fired.

If you think top 10 drafted prospects who haven't shown any signs of busting have as low value as this post suggests, well, you are simply wrong.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Draisatil is a top 3 pick though bit different. Nino is about the closest, but the Isles screwed the pooch and disgruntled him. Nurse on the other hand you might have a case.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
To Edmonton? Justin Schultz, who is about 136% of our current offense.

To another team? Perron. Feisty (almost) 30 goal scorer could be a first line LW if the cards play right.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pajaarvi and Niedereiter were both struggling badly. Forsberg for Erat is widely considered to be one of the worst trades made in recent years, and is one of the reasons the GM that made that trade got fired.

If you think top 10 drafted prospects who haven't shown any signs of busting have as low value as this post suggests, well, you are simply wrong.

I'd suggest even the Nino one is looking quite damn bad already. Nino already has put up a higher point total than Clutterbuck ever did, and brought a lot of physicality to the Wild.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Draisatil is a top 3 pick though bit different. Nino is about the closest, but the Isles screwed the pooch and disgruntled him. Nurse on the other hand you might have a case.

I don't think he has a case with Nurse either. The Oilers hold him in very high regard, and from past interviews, I would suggest he is firmly in the "not for trade unless we are ripping the other guys off" camp.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think he has a case with Nurse either. The Oilers hold him in very high regard, and from past interviews, I would suggest he is firmly in the "not for trade unless we are ripping the other guys off" camp.

It's not a big case, but I could see how a guy closer to a top 10 pick than top 5 doesn't have a whole lot of trade value, in comparison to a top 3 that is.

The real problem is who was the last top 10 pick that was dealt that was only drafted in say within 3 years from being drafted, wasn't disgruntled and didn't play any NHL games other than the 9 game stints?

Schenn is really the only guy I can think of.

It just doesn't really happen in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad