Most Valuable Oiler #5

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Who do you think is the next most valuable Oiler going forward?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

2014 Offseason Results:

2013 Offseason Results:
*not on 2014-2015 Oilers roster

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Who do you think I should add next?

I was considering (in order):

Fayne, Fasth, Pouliot, Purcell, Nikitin
Petry got a vote before

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
Torn between Leon, Perron and nurse. Decided to narrow it down to Leon and Perron because nurse is most likely going to junior again next year and we have a lot of good dmen coming up
Went with Leon over Perron because as it stands, it looks like Leon is going to make the team next year as a center. If we didn't have Leon our C position would literally be nuge and Gordon. Although Perron is obviously more valuable across the league and a far better player at this point, went with position on this one

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I'd add Petry, and honestly I'd have added Gordon and/or Hendricks before even showing Klefbom and Marincin.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I'd add Petry, and honestly I'd have added Gordon and/or Hendricks before even showing Klefbom and Marincin.

Well Klefbom finished 8th last year so I figured those guys might be worth listing now.

If the "Other" category ever gets more than 10% I'll remake the poll.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Drai here for me. My top 10 would be

1. Hall
2. RNH
3. Eberle
4. Yakupov
5. Draisaitl
6. Nurse
7. Schultz
8. Perron
9. Klefbom
10. Marincin

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I didn't vote properly on the first few. I was thinking in terms of value to our team, not value in a trade, but I pretty much agree with the way it all shook down.

It's almost a toss-up between Schultz and Draisaitl for me, but I went with the defender on this one.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I dont vote on potential....there is another thread for predictions.

Perron was one of five guys that deserved any accolades last season. I expect his game...which is a game alot of oilers dont play...to be more effective with the new personnel.

Perron, Marincin, Petry, Gordon, then Leon.

Those first four guys have to take some small steps and Gordon specifically has to have the endurance to be leaned on for 82 games. I am hoping Gordon can be as solid in the first 20, and as healthy, as he was last season so that he can be leaned on until MacT can make evaluations and adjustments.

Last edited:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Potential is part of a player's trade value.

If this is based on trade value...and not value to the team...or players that need to turn their game completely around to have any value to the oilers...

Than why is yak rated fourth? He has no trade value.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Why is there no Petry? You can make a case for him after any of the big 4.

That's who I voted for last time, but the OP states "in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?". Petry is incredibly valuable to this team (probably the most important blueliner), but as a UFA in 11 months, it's hart to argue that he'd have the highest trade value.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
If this is based on trade value...and not value to the team...or players that need to turn their game completely around to have any value to the oilers...

Than why is yak rated fourth? He has no trade value.

From the first post.

Who do you think is the next most valuable Oiler going forward?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

And Yakupov has a lot of value. He was a consensus 1st overall pick 2 years ago. Just because HFboards is against Yakupov right now, doesn't mean he doesn't have value around the league

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll add Petry next poll then

I added the part about trade value because I didn't want people picking inferior players simply because we have horrendous depth at certain positions. I did include "positional value" because some people value certain positions higher for ANY team (not just the Oilers).

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Hall #1 franchise winger/super star
RNH potential/as close as we have to a #1 center
Scrivens potential/as close as we have to a #1 goalie
Schultz potential/as close as we have to a #1 D-man

Are the main ones.

Perron, Yak, Eberle, Marincin, Fyane, Nikita, and Fasthe are what I would call tier two types.

Tier 3 is important as well.

Petry, Ferrence, Gordon, Hendricks, Arco, Purcell, and Pouliot

The scrubs/hopefuls: Pitlick, Lander, Leon, Joensuu, Aulie, and Gazdic,

Leon hasn't shown anything yet or he might even be tier one. Impossible to slate him in anywhere here without knowing how good he can play in the NHL. He has zero value until we know he can play.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Went LD over Perron even LD has yet to step on NHL ice, but I feel he will be a 75 point center, and I think his two way game will improve drastically. Kopitar/ Getzlaf werent a two way stud early on. It took time and focus. I see LD as one of the most motivated Oilers to improve in this area

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So you wouldn't trade a dude like Nikitin for Ekblad, Bennett, or Sam Reinhart?

I misinterpreted the thread as well. Thought it was most valuable to the team succeeding. Didn't realize it was trade value.

EDIT: Not sure the point of talking trade value. Every team values players differently with a lot of bias to what they need/like.

Team Canada didn't value Hall despite being one of the best LWers in the game right now.

He would still be the #1 for trade value on this team IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad