Most Valuable Oiler #2

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Who do you think is the next most valuable Oiler going forward?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

2014 Offseason Results:
Rank|Name|Vote
1| Taylor Hall|96%

2013 Offseason Results:
*not on 2014-2015 Oilers roster

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Relevant discussion from the thread with the faulty poll

Why did 4% of our forum vote against Taylor Hall in the first poll?

An Avs fan and a Canucks fan voted "Other"

The other three votes were for RNH which is quite bold but not impossible

Three Oilers fans voted for RNH, one Canucks fan voted other and one Avalanche fan voted other. :laugh:

Nuge.

An Avs fan and a Canucks fan voted "Other"

The other three votes were for RNH which is quite bold but not impossible
Three Oilers fans voted for RNH, one Canucks fan voted other and one Avalanche fan voted other. :laugh:

Nuge.
Hahaha how dare they come in and vote on our polls!

Nuge, in my opinion, is the clear cut #2 most valuable player. I think so far Hall edges him out quite comfortably though.

I'm between Yakupov and Nuge.

Yakupov

Pros
-Has led the team in goals before
-ELC
-20 years old
-Fast
-High-end shot
-Somewhat physical

Cons
-Horribad season last year (could be disputed why)
-Seems defensively lost
-Extremely fragile confidence

Nuge

Pros
-High-end vision
-Estblished NHLer
-Center
-Improving defensively

Cons
-Injury history
-Can get pushed around
-6 Mil AAV

Nuge's contract isn't much of a con, but non the less, a con.

For the sake of having to pick one, I'm going to go with Nuge on being our 2nd most valuable player.

I'm between Yakupov and Nuge.

Yakupov

Pros
-Has led the team in goals before
-ELC
-20 years old
-Fast
-High-end shot
-Somewhat physical

Cons
-Horribad season last year (could be disputed why)
-Seems defensively lost
-Extremely fragile confidence

Nuge

Pros
-High-end vision
-Estblished NHLer
-Center
-Improving defensively

Cons
-Injury history
-Can get pushed around
-6 Mil AAV

Nuge's contract isn't much of a con, but non the less, a con.

For the sake of having to pick one, I'm going to go with Nuge on being our 2nd most valuable player.
Seeing as Yakupov also has an injury history, and also can get pushed around, I'm going with Nuge also.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
RNH is the objectively correct answer here.

Both Eberle and Perron were better players last season. Perron doing much of that while on a Second line and without as much benefit of Hall.

RNH best season was his rookie season. Hopefully he gets back to that level of play.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Both Eberle and Perron were better players last season. Perron doing much of that while on a Second line and without as much benefit of Hall.

RNH best season was his rookie season. Hopefully he gets back to that level of play.

We're talking about value here though. And in terms of value, as a combination of current ability, potential, talent, effort, position, age, contract etc Hall>RNH>Yakupov>Eberle>Perron is very obvious.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
We're talking about value here though. And in terms of value, as a combination of current ability, potential, talent, effort, position, age, contract etc Hall>RNH>Yakupov>Eberle>Perron is very obvious.

Yakupov over Eberle is ridiculous.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Value isn't draft position. Its what the potential benefit to team that the player represents is.

I picked Draisaitl feeling that next to Hall he has the ingredients the club most needs. I would pick Yak right after that.

I could be wrong though. Is the thread about realized value or potential value.

If its that which has been realized then eberle has been a better value than RNH every year played.

I think what gets confusing is that definitions of value would be different.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Value isn't draft position. Its what the potential benefit to team that the player represents is.

I picked Draisaitl feeling that next to Hall he has the ingredients the club most needs. I would pick Yak right after that.

If its that which has been realized then eberle has been a better value than RNH every year played.

I'm kind of going off of trade value, since it's the most objective definition.

Objectively, teams would give more in a trade for Nuge than they would for Eberle, Yakupov, or Draisaitl.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

I was more intending it to be a mix of both potential and realized value (whatever would be most realistic).

Picking Draisaitl here is bold but definitely justifiable if you think he's gonna realize his full potential and RNH won't.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
I have a feeling the first three will be pretty much landslides. In my opinion Hall, RNH and then Eberle. At 4 though, that is where it will start to get interesting.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm going to agree with Replacement there. For my voting, it is not draft position of the player, but what he will bring to the team as a whole.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I guess we probably weigh things like talent, contract, potential etc in terms of value differently. Btw when I said position, I meant their on ice position. Johnny McRandom as a center is inherently more valuable than Johnny McRandom as a RW, while Johnny McRandom that can play both positions and defense equally effectively is more valuable than both.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I suspect Nuge will win this handily, especially with our issues of depth at the position, but I think Eberle is a lot more important than the overall opinion this board has of him.

I haven't voted in the poll, but I suspect I'll probably go with Nuge as well.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I suspect Nuge will win this handily, especially with our issues of depth at the position, but I think Eberle is a lot more important than the overall opinion this board has of him.

I haven't voted in the poll, but I suspect I'll probably go with Nuge as well.

Eberle, imo, is our third most valuable player, and is only a hair behind the Nuge.

Eirhead*

Do I need like 1,000 posts before I can vote?

I think I'd vote Eberle over Nuge. I love the way both of them play, but the way the team is designed right now, I believe our wingers are set to explode this year. The transition game should be much improved.

I'd maybe vote Nuge if he improved his faceoff percentage to 50% or over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad